Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: California or Bust
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jandro62
This weekend, I'll be riding my motorcycle from Austin, TX to Santa Cruz. I'm planning on taking I-10 across to Hwy 1 and running up the coast to Santa Cruz. Any pointers on things I've got to do in California; I'll be up and down the coast for about 3 weeks.

Also, anything on 10 in Arizona?

Unfortunately, I don't think the teener would make it out there. Maybe next summer.
tat2dphreak
Sunscreen... Bull frog SPF 35+++

have fun and be safe! beer.gif
lapuwali
You'll find that 1 isn't really all that interesting until you get up to San Luis Obispo. Much of it from SLO to LA is four-lane highway. Weekend traffic on 1 can often be pretty bad, esp. near Monterey and Santa Cruz. Unless you have reason to go through LA itself, you may want to look for some backroads going up and around LA to link up with 1 near Ventura or Santa Barbara.
914GT
A few things to see in S. Arizona off I-10. Not too much between the NM border and Tucson. In Tucson, about a mile off the interstate is the Pima Air & Space Museum. Worthwhile if you're into airplanes. Up the road aways is the 'Boneyard' at DMAFB where thousands of old military aircraft are stored. Further away from I-10, taking I-19 south is the Titan Missile Museum. Lot's of good Mexican restaurants just off I-10 and S. 4th Avenue. About a 20 min. drive west of Tucson is the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum. Highly recommended, but unfortunately hotter-than-hell right now unless you get there early in the morning.

Almost forgot Kartchner Caverns about 30 min. south of Benson, AZ. Fantastic cave formations. Cool place if you can work it in to your trip.
slivel
Travel at night across the desert. Yesterday it was 118 degrees in the desert east of San Diego. The faster you ride - the faster you cook yourself if you go during the day.
MJHanna
When I ride long distance in the summer I have a gatterback that I freeze with ½ ice and then fill with water. I take a small pc of Velcro and put the mouth piece on the bike dash so I can grab it easy. I mounted the gatterback on top of my gear behind me so I was not having the wear it. Sounds like fun if you don’t bake in the desert. wink.gif
jasons
QUOTE (jandro62 @ Jul 14 2005, 06:53 AM)

Haul ass early in the morning and get the hell out of the state. Its way too hot to be spending too much time on a bike.

One other thing, we are on the verge of our monsoon season. Sometimes 10 between Tucson and Phoenix and Phoenix to the west can get "interesting". Dust storms kick up and it looks like something out of Independance Day or War of the Worlds.
TROJANMAN
buy a car with a/c biggrin.gif
SLITS
Wear Kevlar Vest and Underwear.......it's gonna be 100+ for the next 5 - 6 days and that brings out the freeway shooters. sad.gif
spare time toys
When you get hot and need a rest hit the Flying J truck stops. The ones along your path are all nice. The one in ElPaso had the cheapest gas in the area last week when I was out there and it is well kept and good food. chowtime.gif
tat2dphreak
you CAN't go wrong with truck stop food! the last thing a place wants is a 300# guy on reds, that's been up all night pissed because the burger is dry.

biggrin.gif wink.gif
MoveQik
QUOTE (jandro62 @ Jul 14 2005, 06:53 AM)
This weekend, I'll be riding my motorcycle from Austin, TX to Santa Cruz. I'm planning on taking I-10 across to Hwy 1 and running up the coast to Santa Cruz. Any pointers on things I've got to do in California; I'll be up and down the coast for about 3 weeks.

Unfortunately, I don't think the teener would make it out there. Maybe next summer.

You're taking this trip now?? WTF? Did you lose a bet?

You need the same advice that all the illegals get before crossing the border: Travel at night and take all the water you can carry.
gklinger
Take I-40 thru Flagstaff or you'll die. biggrin.gif

Projected highs in Phoenix:
Today 112
Fri 113
Sat 114
Sun 114
Mon 114
Tues 113

And hotter than this further west...
914GT
QUOTE (gklinger @ Jul 14 2005, 11:11 AM)
Take I-40 thru Flagstaff or you'll die. biggrin.gif

Projected highs in Phoenix:
Today 112
Fri 113
Sat 114
Sun 114
Mon 114
Tues 113

And hotter than this further west...

Glad I live here in Tucson, a balmy 106-107 this weekend. cool.gif
Jacques
smilie_wirdgut.gif Highest SPF levels on the US Market
user posted image
andys
Depends on the motorcycle as well...........A comfortable touring bike is good for a couple of extra hours on the road, otherwise you'll be worn out pretty quick, especially in that kind of heat. Be real careful of heat stroke, as symptoms can be pretty mild before it's too late. Hugely boring ride through western AZ and into SoCal on I 10.

Andy
gklinger
Here you go:
TravisNeff
In Tucson, Tombstone is a fun little stop. As for PHX, lots to see and do depending on what you are up for.
gregrobbins
We're not too far off I-10 in Phoenix. If you need a bed, shower, chow, or a dip in the pool, give me a call.

Greg
623-297-4084
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.