Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stainless Steel Exhaust w/ SS Heat Exchangers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Str1974
I have a 74' 1.8 L and am thinking about replacing the old rusted heat exchangers on it. Since the 2.0 L heat exchangers fit the 1.8 (I have been told?) but then require a different set up with the exhaust system. Since this is the case, I guess I would need to get a muffler/exhaust that fits to the SSI Hat Exchangers that I am thinking of getting. I see various exhausts out there, but would like some real world recommendations for a SS exhaust. I am leaning to one that has the single or duel center set up, as long as it clears my existing valence (driver side indent). If there are too many problems, and/or mods required to the valence to have "center" pipes, I will have to settle with the single driver's side tip. Any opinions anyone willing to share????
jaredmcginness
Contact @mepstein He has some 2.0 Stainless mufflers in stock. Totally beautiful and a really fair price for the quality.

Check out some info here:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=347735
FJ1200
If you are interested, I have a clean set of 1.7/1.8 SSI heat exchangers I was planning on listing on the FS/WTB forums this weekend. I can forward pictures tomorrow. Pricing would be very realistic.

Dan
bdstone914
QUOTE(FJ1200 @ Oct 13 2020, 12:22 PM) *

If you are interested, I have a clean set of 1.7/1.8 SSI heat exchangers I was planning on listing on the FS/WTB forums this weekend. I can forward pictures tomorrow. Pricing would be very realistic.

Dan

1.7 and 1.8 are not the same. The 74 1.8 have larger tubes. Not a good fit to put 1.7 in a 1.8.
Rikyrat
I have a set of 74 1.8 heat exchangers that are ceramic coated that I would let go for a reasonable price. The coating itself was almost 300.00.

PM me if you are interested.
Mark Henry
Since you're doing both the muffler and heat exchangers you can use all 2.0 gear if you get a 2.0 muffler bracket.
Nothing wrong with the 1.8 SSI, same size tube as the 2.0, just the 2.0 has more muffler choices.
mepstein
Yes, I have 2.0 stainless steel in two out or single side out and will have 1.7/1.8 single side coming any day now. Same price for either size but 1.7/1.8 stainless heat exchangers are often hundreds less than the 2.0 version and as Mark said, ID is the same.
Str1974
QUOTE(Rikyrat @ Oct 13 2020, 03:28 PM) *

I have a set of 74 1.8 heat exchangers that are ceramic coated that I would let go for a reasonable price. The coating itself was almost 300.00.

PM me if you are interested.

thanks, but I wanted to also reduce weight through the stainless steel set up. I appreciate the offer.
Str1974
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Oct 13 2020, 04:06 PM) *

Since you're doing both the muffler and heat exchangers you can use all 2.0 gear if you get a 2.0 muffler bracket.
Nothing wrong with the 1.8 SSI, same size tube as the 2.0, just the 2.0 has more muffler choices.

that's what I heard, thanks. Also like the idea of having a 2.0 setup for future engine swap.
914werke
QUOTE(Str1974 @ Oct 15 2020, 09:07 AM) *
I have a set of 74 1.8 heat exchangers that are ceramic coated that I would let go for a reasonable price.
thanks, but I wanted to also reduce weight through the stainless steel set up. I appreciate the offer.

Then I also offer a custom muffler hanger for the 2.0L that both wieghs less provided more cooling (to the muffler) and has more STYLE! aktion035.gif
HERE
Str1974
QUOTE(914werke @ Oct 15 2020, 01:01 PM) *

QUOTE(Str1974 @ Oct 15 2020, 09:07 AM) *
I have a set of 74 1.8 heat exchangers that are ceramic coated that I would let go for a reasonable price.

Then I also offer a custom muffler hanger for the 2.0L that both wieghs less provided more cooling (to the muffler) and has more STYLE! aktion035.gif
HERE

That one looks pretty cool, but I bought the GT style exhaust and it requires a custom bracket (which I got with it). But, thanks anyway. I'll check out your store for other goodies.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.