Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Backdating Rear
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jim_hoyland
I’ve read all the threads that show removing the clips; they are giving me a fight. Here’s a pic of 1st clip. I used a Blair spot weld cutter on the top weld, then pried the clip a little so I could get my Dremel between the clip and the body. Took forever to cut through. Second pic is the body.
Am I missing something ?
Last pic is the other side, which I haven’t started yet

***Pics are out of order
JOEPROPER
Spot weld cutter can be tricky. You have to be careful not to make a hole... I used a spot weld cutter and grinder very slowly.
BillJ
If used properly and carefully the spot weld bit should not make a hole. Go slow and drill out each one. Looks like you are doing fine except for the hole. I did the rears without error but did one hole on the front. Just go slowly.
dakotaewing
Put painters tape on that paint so you don't scratch paint that you don't want to scratch.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(JOEPROPER @ Oct 13 2020, 04:30 PM) *

Spot weld cutter can be tricky. You have to be careful not to make a hole... I used a spot weld cutter and grinder very slowly.

agree.gif mainly just used the grinder
jim_hoyland
Thanks for those tips smile.gif
Doing the other side in the am
rgalla9146
Drill a small guide hole for each spot weld.....only through the clip. Position the guide hole so that the outside diameter of the cutter cannot reach the fender.
Grinding may be necessary after the "clip" is removed, not to remove it.
jim_hoyland
Got the pass side Clip off. Sand a little and primed. I'll post pics in the am.
jim_hoyland
Pass side got 3x coats of primer yesterday, gonna sand with 600, then 1000 grits and then add base oat color. Never done this before, any tips ?

Driver side got the hole filled and some light sanding. Gonna sand and prime today. This side seems a little rougher.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.