Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Race Car Resurrection
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
jfort
Jay Kjoller, a long-time builder and racer, bought a vintage 914 race car in PA. I like to think he liked what he did for my six so much that he had to make one for himself. Anyway, I am going to go halves with him. I am too scared to take my factory six on the track so this is a wonderful opportunity to help with the build and to get instruction from a good driver.

Jay is meticulous beyond description. At Mosport last year the inspectors said his IMSA GTU Porsche was the best prepared car they'd seen. He finished the 24-hour Daytona in it. I helped him rebuild my 2.7 for the six and it was like watching surgery. I am very lucky.

First, a perfectly flat and level surface is achieved with I beams.

Click to view attachment

Jay consults with his long-time collaborator, Jay O'Connell. Info on him:

Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing Technical Director Jay O'Connell will serve as Online Engineering Instructor for the next three weeks. An accomplished vehicle design and chassis development engineer whose expertise has been employed in Formula 1, INDYCAR and sports car racing over the past 15 years, O'Connell will offer advice on a broad range of technical matters.

The cage is going to be changed so we can have two seats. Note the scars from previous configurations.

Fuel cell, oil tank and oil cooler will be located up front. Engine will be 2.5, crank fired, twin spark, like my 2.7 and his other two race cars.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Engine mount. It will be a lot easier to insert engine than the factory set up.

Click to view attachment ]

Suspensions removed

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

More later.
GregAmy
Here for a <thumbs up>

Jay's a super nice guy; he and I talked on teh phone a few weeks ago about racing. We eventually had to stop as it was getting late...lol.
stownsen914
I remember Jay from when he raced in IMSA years ago. He did a lot of development on that car (which I understand is now back with him).

Is the 914 the old Rost car?
scootergt3
QUOTE(stownsen914 @ Oct 14 2020, 08:23 AM) *

I remember Jay from when he raced in IMSA years ago. He did a lot of development on that car (which I understand is now back with him).

Is the 914 the old Rost car?

Yeah, that looks like bobs old car. I went and looked at it two years ago. I passed on it as he was asking way to much. hope a good deal was made.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.