Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: brake warning chime on all the time - misdiagnosed, starting new thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
burlybryan
My new-to-me car came with the feature of the parking brake chime (turn signal relay) chiming while the car is running even when the brake is off (although the frequency of the chime is different from when the brake is actually activated).

I've replaced the old crusty parking brake switch but that didn't fix it. Tonight, while driving, the light decided to join the chime in blinking. Parking brake is off and the switch is fully depressed. Parking brake chime and light work as normal when the brake is pulled.

UPDATE:
Pulled the boot and I have a single wire (brown/yellow) on the switch and it's the style that doesn't have a reset button. Wiring schematic for 74 indicates that I should also have a brown ground wire as well.

Over the course of my research, it seems that EVERY thread that involves a non-button reset switch dies without reaching a conclusion. Time to replace the switch? Search for a grounded wire?

Bryan
bdstone914
Check the reset button on the switch on the naster cylinder. There is a small pin in the center. Push it in. If the brakes were bled recently that could be the problem.
burlybryan
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Oct 13 2020, 10:24 PM) *

Check the reset button on the switch on the naster cylinder. There is a small pin in the center. Push it in. If the brakes were bled recently that could be the problem.

Thanks. I should have mentioned that my MC switch is a single wire with the black plastic fin in the middle. There is no reset button on this MC switch as far as I know. Is there a second wire (like some other switches) that needs to be grounded?
burlybryan
Update. I pulled the new parking brake switch and checked it and it functions fine. Then I pulled the passenger seat and checked the big seat belt relay and found that one of the brown/yellow wires was detached from the shared plug on terminal A. I soldered them together and plugged it back in. Now the brake warning light is off (but functions with the parking brake) and I'm back to square one with the all the time chime.

Anyone have just the chime, but not the light?
theer
My '72 doesn't have a chime. Is that a seat belt warning on newer cars?

You may need to bypass that circuit to shut off the chime (or just remove the relay).
burlybryan
Yep. Gonna kill this thread and start a new one. Two separate problems and the primary one is actually the turn signal/flasher relay clicking all the time.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.