Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Windshield washer system
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Morph914
I took the steering column apart today to familiarize myself with the windshield washer system. It appears that the PO converted the system to a pump from the the parts I found in one of many boxes of parts that came with the car when I bought it.
I would like to utilize the existing control on the column to operate the washer if possible.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

After watching Sir Andy’s video, it would appear that I can run a lead off of this black / brown wire that runs to the relay, to the washer pump and then just ground it near or at the pump.

Click to view attachment

And then I’m thinking about mounting the pump in this area, but hoping that someone will chime in to verify that I can do this or any thoughts on a better way

Click to view attachment

Ian Stott
My teener has that, it is mounted on the other side of the hose which puts it underneath the reservoir out of sight, either spot is fine.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
Morph914
QUOTE(Ian Stott @ Oct 15 2020, 04:38 AM) *

My teener has that, it is mounted on the other side of the hose which puts it underneath the reservoir out of sight, either spot is fine.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada

Thank you
Morph914
What I am really looking to confirm is the wiring for the pump. Can someone verify that I can run a lead from the brown / black wire pictured over to the pump.
And will this allow me to run the washer from the lever on the column?

Thank you,
John
FlacaProductions
@Morph914 - I believe that's correct - let's tag @SirAndy and see if he can double-confirm.
FlacaProductions
This seems to confirm as well: https://bowlsby.net/914/WiringHarnesses/Wip...nstructions.pdf
Coondog
Removed my nozzles when I painted my 914. Cleaner look and really who gets there 914 so dirty you need to use a WW that just smears the bug guts.

Opps just saw the OP is from Florida, ok you guys have bugs the size of birds... lol-2.gif
Click to view attachment
Morph914
QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Oct 15 2020, 01:15 PM) *

Thank you, but just wondering if anyone that already has the wiper interval set up like me has actually powered their electric pump with the brown / black wire.
Morph914
QUOTE(Coondog @ Oct 15 2020, 01:35 PM) *

Removed my nozzles when I painted my 914. Cleaner look and really who gets there 914 so dirty you need to use a WW that just smears the bug guts.

Opps just saw the OP is from Florida, ok you guys have bugs the size of birds... lol-2.gif
Click to view attachment

I do like the clean look without the nozzles.
I grew up in so cal. and the bugs here in north Florida are not much worse than Cali, especially if you are driving to the river or other desert destinations. We do have some nasty little bugs a couple times a year called love bugs. They get the name because they fly around while mating. I always tell my wife, I want to come back as one of these, what better way to go if you splat on a windshield! grouphug.gif
They are bad for your paint though, I believe they have a bit of an acidic makeup and will do damage to the paint if not removed.

Cheers,
John
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Morph914 @ Oct 14 2020, 10:05 PM) *

I took the steering column apart today to familiarize myself with the windshield washer system. It appears that the PO converted the system to a pump from the the parts I found in one of many boxes of parts that came with the car when I bought it.
I would like to utilize the existing control on the column to operate the washer if possible.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

After watching Sir Andy’s video, it would appear that I can run a lead off of this black / brown wire that runs to the relay, to the washer pump and then just ground it near or at the pump.

Click to view attachment

And then I’m thinking about mounting the pump in this area, but hoping that someone will chime in to verify that I can do this or any thoughts on a better way

Click to view attachment

I am going to be doing this soon when i get my new pump and the new signal arm from 914sixer, and in order to use the stock wiper lever, i am going to try to install this switch from Carmagic http://carmagic.us/washer.html
so the switch will be triggered by the stock lever but the nose will no longer be hooked up to the column but rather just from washer bottle to the pump, and pump to squirters.

Good luck with your project. it will be nice to actually have squirters working.

914Toy
QUOTE(Morph914 @ Oct 15 2020, 04:22 AM) *

QUOTE(Ian Stott @ Oct 15 2020, 04:38 AM) *

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada

Thank you

Mount it under your reservoir so that the pump is gravity fed.
Morph914
I just purchased the switch from carmagic as well, so I elect you to install your system first so I can copy, or not copy, what you do with yours.
FlacaProductions
I installed the Carmagic switch - just follow their instructions - no problem.
Morph914
QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Oct 16 2020, 02:42 PM) *

I installed the Carmagic switch - just follow their instructions - no problem.

Great! Looking forward to it.
The next project will be cleaning and resealing the gas tank.

Cheers,
John
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.