Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: /6 oil tank mounting bolt holes?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
Good morning - have the oil filter hole cut and plan to knock out (so to speak) the filler and smaller lines.

Have the sizes for the rest;

4" to 4.5" for the oil filter (done)
2" for the breather hoses
2.5" for the filler neck
1.5" for the 2 hole return line holes.

I'm not staring at the car or @mb911 tank right now but the oil tanks have two mounting bolts that also need to be drilled? I suppose I can just match the thread size to the drill bit but does anyone have that sizing handy?

Thanks!
mb911
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Oct 16 2020, 05:11 AM) *

Good morning - have the oil filter hole cut and plan to knock out (so to speak) the filler and smaller lines.

Have the sizes for the rest;

4" to 4.5" for the oil filter (done)
2" for the breather hoses
2.5" for the filler neck
1.5" for the 2 hole return line holes.

I'm not staring at the car or @mb911 tank right now but the oil tanks have two mounting bolts that also need to be drilled? I suppose I can just match the thread size to the drill bit but does anyone have that sizing handy?

Thanks!

5/16" is equal to 8mm (the bolt size) but would suggest a 3/8" as you will need wiggle room for sure. Also lay out the return very well with the tank or that can be a bugger.
Tdskip
Thanks Ben!
Tdskip
All done except for the last oil line - the bottom one towards the firewall looks like a bugger to properly locate.
mb911
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Oct 16 2020, 07:04 AM) *

All done except for the last oil line - the bottom one towards the firewall looks like a bugger to properly locate.

Yes it is
Tdskip
QUOTE(mb911 @ Oct 16 2020, 10:12 AM) *

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Oct 16 2020, 07:04 AM) *

Yes it is

I’m thinking to measure the dimensions from the oil filter opening to the wind on your tank and then replicate that on the car. Is there a better way?

Sway Bar
I tried to make a stencil and then duplicate on the interior panel but found it awkward so to double check I used grade 4 math...Triangulate. On the the tank I measured from the left mount to center of the return port-string line and scribed and arc on the panel. Measured from second right mount to center of return port - String line and scribed an arc. Where they intersected was center.

My stencil was out 1/2".
Tdskip
Very helpful, thank you for the post.
PanelBilly
You can always drill the hole a little larger and use a fender washer.
Tdskip
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Oct 16 2020, 03:30 PM) *

You can always drill the hole a little larger and use a fender washer.

Thanks, will likely do that.

Can I use a giant fender washer if I screw up the oil line holes? Ha!

Thanks for the response.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.