Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clutch adjustment
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mcraneiowa
I know to adjust the clutch you can adjust the nut on the clutch cable in and out but did I read somewhere that there’s a way to adjust the arm that goes from the cable up to the transmission? I thought I had read somewhere that said you could move it over a notch or something to that effect. Otherwise I’m figuring the clutch is bad and will likely drop everything to replace it. Just wanted to check before I go to that effort. Lots of learning taking place on this car, just wanted to make sure I’m doing everything correctly as I go along. Appreciate any input
Tdskip
Can you describe the symptoms you are having?
lierofox
Are you referring to shimming the pivot ball for the clutch arm because it's hitting the transmission case before disengaging the clutch?
brant
you have to pull the transmission
and shim the pivot ball
to adjust the lever you are talking about

brant
Mcraneiowa
I picked up this car that had previously quit running due to a fuel related issue. Nothing mentioned about the clutch. I have adjusted the clutch by means of the clutch cable and have found the fine line of adjustment between not grinding reverse when putting into gear and what I believe to be engagement. The problem I am encountering is when I am in forth or fifth gear going down the road there is slippage. I assume this means the clutch is likely needing replaced but wanted to be sure there were no other adjustments I could make before replacing the old clutch and pressure plate, etc.. Wanting to be sure I have attempted to adjust according to what I have read so far.
I figure others on here can enlighten me if there is anything else I can consider. Thanks.
Tdskip
OK - that helps.

If it bites and holds in lower gears but slips in 4 and 5th likely clutch change time.

914Sixer
Check your shifter bushing before you get started on clutch job. Replace them all
Mcraneiowa
All shifter bush8ng have been replaced. Thanks for the suggestion however.
Mcraneiowa
Pulled tranny and found clutch was well worn. In process of replacing flywheel and all components. Thanks for the input as I thought I had read you could somehow adjust the clutch fork to take up some clutch play but after tearing it apart I see that wasn’t possible. From what I see after tearing it down, I believe these are all original parts.
iankarr
Here’s a video on replacing the clutch which might be helpful...

https://youtu.be/o1sDHWxTOxk
Montreal914
Replacing the flywheel also means redoing the crank end play adjustment... smile.gif

And obviously, you will want to replace the rear main seal. Different school of thought on that one. There is a nice seal that the VW Bus place sells, I forget the name... dry.gif, but it is wider than the Victor Reinz if I recall.

Good luck with your repair!

Edit: here is the link on the VW Bus rear main seal study by Go Westy:

https://www.gowesty.com/tech-article-details.php?id=60
914_7T3
QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Nov 15 2020, 09:31 PM) *

Replacing the flywheel also means redoing the crank end play adjustment... smile.gif

And obviously, you will want to replace the rear main seal. Different school of thought on that one. There is a nice seal that the VW Bus place sells, I forget the name... dry.gif, but it is wider than the Victor Reinz if I recall.

Good luck with your repair!

Edit: here is the link on the VW Bus rear main seal study by Go Westy:

https://www.gowesty.com/tech-article-details.php?id=60

agree.gif

They may be referring to the SABO Black.

There is also the Elring Klinger
Available from Pelican

Part#029-105-245-B-M30
Elring Klinger 326.798

Click to view attachment
Montreal914
@914_7T3 Jeffrey, the Guys at Go Westy are talking about Sabo and it is all black. Not saying the one you are showing is not good, just that it is not what Go Westy's investigation came up with. beerchug.gif

Sorry, just re-read your post. All good, you are referring to the Sabo, picture must be the other one. smile.gif
914_7T3
QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Nov 15 2020, 10:09 PM) *

@914_7T3 Jeffrey, the Guys at Go Westy are talking about Sabo and it is all black. Not saying the one you are showing is not good, just that it is not what Go Westy's investigation came up with. beerchug.gif

Sorry, just re-read your post. All good, you are referring to the Sabo, picture must be the other one. smile.gif

The photo is the Elring Klinger. Just had one put in last Wednesday. So far approx. 100 miles and dry as a bone.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.