Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trans question for the brain trust
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BPic
My trans goes into all gears but pops out of 2nd. I don't know if it pops out of 4th as I haven't gotten that fast. 3rd 1st and reverse are no issues.

The other thing is I can actually push past 2nd and 4th, with car off and without much effort, and then this happens... headbang.gif

Click to view attachment

I can drive it in 2nd if I hold the shifter in place. I've adjusted again and again using all the techniques and it doesn't appear to change even the slightest. Is there something I'm missing or is it time for a rebuild. barf.gif

porschetub
QUOTE(BPic @ Oct 18 2020, 08:15 AM) *

My trans goes into all gears but pops out of 2nd. I don't know if it pops out of 4th as I haven't gotten that fast. 3rd 1st and reverse are no issues.

The other thing is I can actually push past 2nd and 4th, with car off and without much effort, and then this happens... headbang.gif

Click to view attachment

I can drive it in 2nd if I hold the shifter in place. I've adjusted again and again using all the techniques and it doesn't appear to change even the slightest. Is there something I'm missing or is it time for a rebuild. barf.gif

You have the wrong part that holds the nylon ball cup,believe you have the shorter one,I would think all will come good when you change it .
Good luck.
BPic
QUOTE(porschetub @ Oct 17 2020, 03:44 PM) *

Click to view attachment

You have the wrong part that holds the nylon ball cup,believe you have the shorter one,I would think all will come good when you change it .
Good luck.

There's more than one size of those cast cups? I have 2 from 2 different transmissions and both the same. I'll start looking now.

Thanks.
BPic
I measured mine and both are 65 mm. Anyone know where to get a longer one?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
mepstein
Early ones for the tailshifter are shorter than the later ones for the sideshifter.
porschetub
QUOTE(BPic @ Oct 18 2020, 08:47 AM) *

QUOTE(porschetub @ Oct 17 2020, 03:44 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Good luck.

There's more than one size of those cast cups? I have 2 from 2 different transmissions and both the same. I'll start looking now.

Thanks.

No problem,I would measure mine for you but my car is off the jackstands for a change av-943.gif .
Rich Bontempi
QUOTE(BPic @ Oct 17 2020, 12:15 PM) *

Click to view attachment

I'm looking at your pic, and I can't see the washer that goes on both sides of the shift housing and the lever. There should be one washer on both sides of the shift housing. We stock them, if they aren't there. Rich
Rich Bontempi
QUOTE(BPic @ Oct 17 2020, 01:13 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

ALL the side shift, 73-76 914-4 transmissions have the same parts. There are NOT two different lengths.
Rich Bontempi
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 17 2020, 01:28 PM) *

Early ones for the tailshifter are shorter than the later ones for the sideshifter.

The 1970-1972 tail shifter part is not the same at all.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
that shift head looks correct, have you installed a better ball cup bushing? On the other hand, maybe someone at one time cut yours shorter for 911 and early 914 applications. The first thing I thought is that someone installed the earlier shift head in your car until I saw a picture of it

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

BPic
QUOTE(Rich Bontempi @ Oct 17 2020, 04:39 PM) *

Click to view attachment

I'm looking at your pic, and I can't see the washer that goes on both sides of the shift housing and the lever. There should be one washer on both sides of the shift housing. We stock them, if they aren't there. Rich

Rich do you mena the highlighted washer? I'll check.

Click to view attachment
Rich Bontempi

Click to view attachment

I hope you realize you need to pop the ball cup bushing on that round ball lever!
BPic
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Oct 17 2020, 04:43 PM) *

that shift head looks correct, have you installed a better ball cup bushing? On the other hand, maybe someone at one time cut yours shorter for 911 and early 914 applications. The first thing I thought is that someone installed the earlier shift head in your car until I saw a picture of it

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Thanks Dr. No the head was not altered. I have two that are identical.
Rich Bontempi
QUOTE(BPic @ Oct 17 2020, 01:46 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Number 15 and number 18 are the washers!
BPic
QUOTE(Rich Bontempi @ Oct 17 2020, 04:48 PM) *

Click to view attachment

I hope you realize you need to pop the ball cup bushing on that round ball lever!

Yes. Thats part of the issue it extends to far and pulls out just like in the pic. And the cup is new.
Rich Bontempi
QUOTE(Rich Bontempi @ Oct 17 2020, 01:50 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

The washers keep the shifter from going too far!
BPic
QUOTE(Rich Bontempi @ Oct 17 2020, 05:34 PM) *

QUOTE(Rich Bontempi @ Oct 17 2020, 01:50 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

The washers keep the shifter from going too far!

Rich sending you a PM regarding washers.
ndfrigi
Have you tried shifting it to 2nd gear by hand on the rear tranny? Offcourse engine not running then push clutch to start engine and try if you release the clutch pedal will let the car run without popping.
rhodyguy
Is the pinkish stuff on the ball bushing material or grease? Is the ball cup hard plastic? When the white ones are on the ball it can be a pain to get them off.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.