Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clutch cable wheel protection...?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
second wind
I have tried covering my clutch cable wheel and cable several different ways but nothing great....just changed my cable and it seems a shame to leave it out in the open like it is.....any good ideas to keep the road grit out? I think Mikey should be working on this but who am to say? Welcome ideas and it just makes sense to protect this vital area from contamination.....thank you for your thoughts,,,,
gg
HansJan
QUOTE(second wind @ Oct 17 2020, 08:48 PM) *

I have tried covering my clutch cable wheel and cable several different ways but nothing great....just changed my cable and it seems a shame to leave it out in the open like it is.....any good ideas to keep the road grit out? I think Mikey should be working on this but who am to say? Welcome ideas and it just makes sense to protect this vital area from contamination.....thank you for your thoughts,,,,
gg

This is what I installed.
Still get dirty (but maybe a little less).
Better ground clearance for sure.

http://www.tangerineracing.com/transmission.htm
second wind
QUOTE(HansJan @ Oct 17 2020, 06:57 PM) *

QUOTE(second wind @ Oct 17 2020, 08:48 PM) *

gg

This is what I installed.
Still get dirty (but maybe a little less).
Better ground clearance for sure.

http://www.tangerineracing.com/transmission.htm

Come on....how about a remedy?
gg
porschetub
QUOTE(second wind @ Oct 18 2020, 02:48 PM) *

gg

I bought a CSOB cable and it was rubbish,I had already bought the 914rubber delron roller and its a great part,but after fitting the original cable with proper nylon liner had a huge improvement in pedal feel so don't buy the cheap cable headbang.gif .
IMO make sure you have the rubber boot on the cable and don't use any lube ,stock mounting is fine for road grime even without the plastic cover which I have back on now,however if you have the horizontal TR setup you may pick a bit more grime up but is no cover to fit that.
Maltese Falcon
"VW+Porsche" article from the early '80s , I sourced a factory 916 transaxle, built the horizontal clutch pulley bracket and have run it sans grease with good results . Coco floormats were in !
Click to view attachment
Superhawk996
Always envious of you guys that have cars that have so few problems that you have time to invent new problems to be solved. rolleyes.gif
914Sixer
Another option is from Tangerine Racing mount $52.
jim_hoyland
I’ve had the same thought. My clutch cable seems to break at the wheel. I think it’s because the grease and sand abrade the wires as the tranny is shifted.
second wind
I have been told by a 914 expert that the cable ALWAYS breaks at the wheel. Allowing dirt and grime into the roller area and cable/roller contact area just does't make sense to us wear avoidance folks....gotta' be a way with a plastic bubble or something.....I have been using baggies and magnets....not great....there has got to be a solution....thank you,
gg
porschetub
Yes that was kinda my point about horizontal rollers,the road grime with collect in that area and has no where to go, the stock roller mount will collect less if you don't use grease and reduce cable wear @ that point because that's the weak point due to a fairly tight radius ,the delron roller (914rubber) is a great update as the stock nylon one wears out @ the centre bush and loads the action further...as my old one did.
beer.gif
Superhawk996
QUOTE(porschetub @ Oct 18 2020, 07:18 PM) *

Yes that was kinda my point about horizontal rollers,the road grime with collect in that area and has no where to go, the stock roller mount will collect less if you don't use grease . . .

agree.gif

Horizontal makes sense on a race car that has been severely lowered to aid ground clearnace. Not an issue on cars at or near stock ride height.

No grease on cable. A dab of grease at the wheel center pivot. Wheel needs to rotate.

If you're repeatedly breaking cables -- make sure you have a zero ohm ground connection between body and engine/trans. Otherwise the clutch cable becomes the ground and drastically shortens cable life.
Mikey914
I have had this problem. It starts to stretch then breaks.
second wind
Ok....I am hatching an idea here.....I took a close look at the clutch wheel area today and there is enough room for the little tiny magnets that Harbor Frieght sells all around the wheel...these are rare earth magnets and very strong...so if I put a womens nylon around the wheel and attach with these little magnets I may have a fine screen to help protect the cable and such. Can anyone suggest a better screen material than a woman's nylon? I am thinking 99 cent store for the nylon....Harbor Frieght magnets are $3 tops....I am not giving up on this until my new cable and wheel are protected so hang on......thank you for any input...
gg
altitude411

yeah, um.... smoke.gif no
Olympic 914
If you really need a project, rig up a hydraulic clutch.

No cable to break..
GregAmy
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Oct 18 2020, 09:35 AM) *

Always envious of you guys that have cars that have so few problems that you have time to invent new problems to be solved. rolleyes.gif

agree.gif biggrin.gif

What are we talking about? 10-yr lifespan for a clutch cable? Even if it's 5 - and I'd find that very hard to believe - it's neither an expensive nor hateful replacement job.

And this will not resolve cable stretching, of course, which is a far more-common problem.

Chris designed the horizontal wheel bracket for clearance around his headers. It's not intended for any kind of "safety" or lifespan problems.
Spoke
QUOTE(second wind @ Oct 17 2020, 09:48 PM) *

.....any good ideas to keep the road grit out?

I printed a cover a while back but didn't mount it. I tried some clips but they didn't hold it on. Probably should have just used some tiewraps. Here's what it looks like now.

second wind
Wow....those last two replies really are thought provoking. Just how significant is the dirt contamination in the life of a cable? Great question....And then the picture of the actual cover is amazing.....I want one of those!! Especially if it was made out of clear plastic or softer clear rubber (hint hint Mark). Anyway.....I am on my way to the fabric store to buy some polyester cloth and see what I can come up with. Thanks you guys,
gg
Superhawk996
QUOTE(Spoke @ Oct 20 2020, 10:43 AM) *

QUOTE(second wind @ Oct 17 2020, 09:48 PM) *

.....any good ideas to keep the road grit out?

I printed a cover a while back but didn't mount it. I tried some clips but they didn't hold it on. Probably should have just used some tiewraps. Here's what it looks like now.

As much as I think it's a solution seeking a problem, that is great design work and you have at least one interested customer! Great job! I wish I had more time to play . . . Is that done in Inventor? Axis and the way planes are notated look familiar. Maybe some other AutoDesk product?
Villemi
Hello

When can I find this 3D file of this wheel clutch cover?
bbrock
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Oct 20 2020, 04:30 PM) *

As much as I think it's a solution seeking a problem, that is great design work and you have at least one interested customer! Great job! I wish I had more time to play . . . Is that done in Inventor? Axis and the way planes are notated look familiar. Maybe some other AutoDesk product?

Well... I know our cars are too precious to dare drive them on gravel roads now, but back in the day, I drove mine several miles on dirt roads on my daily work commute. The combo of that open cable wheel and an aging, leaking engine were a constant headache and perpetual frayed cables. Now that my resto is soon to be on the road again, and the fact that I have 3 miles of dirt road between my house and the nearest pavement, YES, I'm interested in a good cover.
Literati914
I'd like to see something like the soft rubber "boot" that fits over the head-light motor pivot. Would've made a lot more since for the clutch wheel than the headlight pivots IMHO.

partwerks
Back in the day when I had that WRX engine in it, and clutch cable was a bit too long, I made an adjustment bracket with a series of holes, so I could pick out the correct length, and also modified a terry clutch cable to adjust it with. I had a 1 1/2" square tube for a spacer, and faced up. I made a tin on top to keep dirt out. It made pushing the clutch a whole lot easier. I can't remember if there was room about to make the angle bent the opposite direction or not?
I never trimmed it to length, as it wouldn't have looked so tacky.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
@bbrock - Next project, pave that road to keep your car clean. w00t.gif
bbrock
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Feb 7 2021, 04:16 PM) *

@bbrock - Next project, pave that road to keep your car clean. w00t.gif

Ha ha! NEVER! Learned that lesson the hard way. That's a whole other story though, but hope to never live on a paved road again. Sorry Porsche, some things are more important. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.