Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Windshield trim
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tonyooc
I just resealed my windshield with 5/16 butyl tape. Added new clips for the trim and installed new trim from auto Atlanta. I assembled the entire trim piece as one unit and installed. Everything clipped in corre tly. The first drive on the freeway it came loose in the center and folded back on both side at the top of the pillars. Any suggestions
dirk2056
Not good !!! I have not reinstalled my windshield yet but I think my trim was attached with butyl tape?? Which is not the way it should be connected!!
Do you have source for new windshield??

Tonyooc
QUOTE(dirk2056 @ Oct 18 2020, 09:29 PM) *

Not good !!! I have not reinstalled my windshield yet but I think my trim was attached with butyl tape?? Which is not the way it should be connected!!

When I was checking around to have someone do mine, I spoke to someone who said he can aftermarket for 250.00. So auto glass shops should be abke to order you one.
dirk2056
QUOTE(Tonyooc @ Oct 19 2020, 01:13 PM) *

QUOTE(dirk2056 @ Oct 18 2020, 09:29 PM) *

When I was checking around to have someone do mine, I spoke to someone who said he can aftermarket for 250.00. So auto glass shops should be abke to order you one.

THANKS beerchug.gif I seeing prices of $575 plus shipping
wes
I bought the Auto Atlanta windshield term and had the same problem, they wouldn’t take any responsibility for It as I purchased it long ahead of my build. I purchased the second set from Porsche and worked perfectly. One more reason I avoid Auto Atlanta.
Bartlett 914
I went through 3 sets. I got mine from 914 rubber. The pieces were Porsche parts but shipping bent them. I assumed my problem was in not getting them correctly straightened. I think the problem is in the clips. I did use new ones on the first run but changing them means removing the windshield so the next sets used the old (but still new) clips. I ended up polishing used trim and attached with a lot of Butyl. Not happy but it is still on
boxster914
Same thing happened to me. I’m working on my second auto Atlanta set. Mine are flex-taped on. Not pretty. What is butyl tape?
Mikey914
The Butyl chord is used to set the windshield. At least in a factory type install.
Curious as to the windshield trim coming dislodged.

Technically the clips are a little hard to get to release and you usually have to use a tool. As long as the thin lip is against the glass and the back is fully engaged they should be hard to get off. Yes you can add some, but should not be required.
DRPHIL914
agree.gif

no matter who you get them from the whole install process is difficult, but
i agree with Mark, those clips should not let go at all once installed. My most difficult place i struggled with was the lower corners. got my set of chrome trim from 914rubber, but i sourced extra corner pieces from Porsche, as i bent my other set.
The clips should grab that lip on the back side of the trim and not let go easily. ive had mine on the car for almost 2 years. The windshield was installed by the local contractor that does all of our Porsche dealer's installs,(i bought a brand new windshield from Porsche) he came to my house, we installed it and then i did the trim. I will not say it was easy, it was not, but once lined up properly most of it just pressed and clicked into place.

Phil
Tonyooc
I just got off the phone with the Ahole from auti atlanta the owner. He said I must have done the molding wrong and offered no type of refund for his crappy parts. I will never buy from them again. Great customer service
dr914@autoatlanta.com
mine blew off one day running down the freeway and a truck ran over it, had not replaced the windshield clips. Installing the clips is tricky as they have to be very well seated against the windshield frame and then the peg driven home, all 19 of them. PLUS need to have a 1/4 inch butyl tape kit ONLY if thicker the windshield with stand up and the chrome will not clip in very well. ALSO some windshields are too thick and will cause the chrome to stand up and not clip down.

All of the windshield chrome everyone sells is made by the original equipment manufacturer to Porsche and here in our shop have never had a problem with it coming off as long as it is carefully installed.
Tonyooc
I obviously struck a nerve with this guy. Funny he told me earlier you can't trust what anybody says on these forums. I had told him a few people posted they had the same issue as me. Im sure were all doing it wrong. What an #&%$@.
porschetub
I bought my car with new screen and clips fitted but no trim fitted,got two sets of trim in the deal but found the curve and fit had to be "dead right" for it to click firmly to the clips otherwise there is maybe a need to carefully tweak to them for best fit.
Besides as mentioned a screen needs to be sitting ,fitting and the correct shape and thickness as the clips are only one size sad.gif .
Mikey914
I have some short sections of windshield trim we had extruded to form for these, but wound up just doing factory. You can use to make sure the clips are engaging properly. I'd be happy to drop you one to check. Just need an address.
bandjoey
Had a local Porsche 914 shop install my new windshield and trim couple years ago and not a problem. I have done this in the past and yes, the trim has to click in place and it will not come out. AA is not responsible for the install IMHO.
IronHillRestorations
The owner of a car I’ve been working on got a complete set of windshield trim and clips from partsgeek for around $210 to the door. They bent the longest piece to get it in the box. I used the old windshield to reshape it and haven’t had a problem so far.

The windshield is a XYG brand and maybe a little thinner. I used a 1/4” kit but I think I could have gone with a 5/16” and been okay
ctc911ctc
I have been around and around on this one.

Talked to a guy who is local (Boston) that does anodizing - very pricy, however, specializes in old 911 and 356, does ALL of the trim for resto, then it kinda would make sense for a 911 or 356

Looked into powder coating - in essence, it is paint and silvers and chromes are not a good choice.....tooooo, weird-looking.......

I had the power coat guys bead strip the trim. We then painted it with a clear coat.

By the time I am done with this, new OEM seems cheap......but then I would not be having all of this fun beerchug.gif

Still have not mounted the trim - seems that I am having all of the trouble discussed here. some of the clips are clippy, some not so much...
Mikey914
QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Oct 21 2020, 11:32 AM) *

The owner of a car I’ve been working on got a complete set of windshield trim and clips from partsgeek for around $210 to the door. They bent the longest piece to get it in the box. I used the old windshield to reshape it and haven’t had a problem so far.

The windshield is a XYG brand and maybe a little thinner. I used a 1/4” kit but I think I could have gone with a 5/16” and been okay

Yeah you may be able buy cheaper be we put about $15 into packing these so yes we are slightly more expensive but if you have received one of our sets you can see why we have very few problems now.
MFejsa
Hi, Im actually installing my new trim this weekend after having a new windscreen installed and dont know how to install the clips provided by Atlanta. Can anyone send any pics of how to install the clip and also how the trim sits onto the clip? please
Highland
QUOTE(MFejsa @ Oct 22 2020, 02:45 AM) *

Hi, Im actually installing my new trim this weekend after having a new windscreen installed and dont know how to install the clips provided by Atlanta. Can anyone send any pics of how to install the clip and also how the trim sits onto the clip? please

I had this picture of my lower windshield frame edge on my phone. Hope it helps

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.