Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Update : Electrical Nightmare : 1 issue left
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ri914
Ever have the fuel pump kick on when you turn on the marker lights? how about the headlights deciding to work sporadically coupled with no brake lights or turn signals...

Not sure this is worth trying to track or chase down. I have all the wiring diagrams and everything matches, so I know i have the correct wires.

I am thinking my headlight switch is bad and possibly a few other items. I am thinking it might be easier to rewire these functions but willing to give it a few more tries if anyone has been down this road before.

Any thoughts or good threads I should study?

thank you

Click to view attachment

So many helpful fixes, down to 1 thing left, the turn signals, detailed diagnosis on my last post...
ri914
Update 1: The fuel pump also cycles with the emergency flashers.

Update 2: No rear lights are working, fuses are all good.
michelko
QUOTE(ri914 @ Oct 21 2020, 05:54 AM) *

Update 1: The fuel pump also cycles with the emergency flashers.

Update 2: No rear lights are working, fuses are all good.

Maybee a grounding issue? check this first, also check the fuses and the fuseholder for corrosion.

Michael
yellowporky
Clean every ground post on the car. Power is finding new paths to ground
ri914
thanks Team, I will clean all the ground posts and see what happens.
ri914
Update 3: I found a ground ring floating in the engine bay under the circuit/power board behind the driver seat. It had 5 brown wires. Once I attached that correctly. flashers turn signal, hazards and hi beams now all work!!! No random fuel pump operating. I really need to learn more about how an unconnected ground could cause these anomalies.

Fixed the low beam. issue was the fuse not conducting properly. Will upgrade the fuse box to the blade style.

Thank you for all the help.

Click to view attachment
barefoot
QUOTE(ri914 @ Oct 21 2020, 11:09 AM) *

Fixed the low beam. issue was the fuse not conducting properly. Will upgrade the fuse box to the blade style.

Thank you for all the help.

Click to view attachment

That' not the correct fuze identification for 914-4's :

First fuze (on right) is left headlite hi beam, 2nd is rt hi beam, 3rd is left low beam, 4th is rt low beam
76-914
Basically, electricity is always seeking a ground. If one isn’t provided it will find one. We have a bunch of EE’s here that can give you a detailed explanation
Superhawk996
QUOTE(yellowporky @ Oct 21 2020, 10:07 AM) *

Clean every ground post on the car. Power is finding new paths to ground

agree.gif

Unintended ground path are a major source of gremlins
djway
One thing I have learned after many years with AirCooled
Always start with the grounds.........
JeffBowlsby
The fusepanel change to bladed style is not an upgrade.

Just clean and maintain the factory fusepanel and you should have no problems.
AZBanks
Does anyone have the correct fuse diagram for the 914-4 fuses?
ri914
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Oct 21 2020, 06:59 PM) *

Thanks Jeff, You just saved me 155.00 I am going to clean them and purchase some new fuses. is there a better way to clean? crc contact cleaner, or should I use a wire brush?
ri914
QUOTE(AZBanks @ Oct 21 2020, 07:16 PM) *

I found this jpeg online. Seems to follow everyone's comments. Not sure its 100% correct, but I bet a few of the readers can confirm.

Click to view attachment
StarBear
QUOTE(AZBanks @ Oct 21 2020, 07:16 PM) *

On mine, they are indicated on the fuse panel’s clear plastic cover. Just make sure the cover isn’t on upside down!
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(ri914 @ Oct 21 2020, 04:18 PM) *

QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Oct 21 2020, 06:59 PM) *

Thanks Jeff, You just saved me 155.00 I am going to clean them and purchase some new fuses. is there a better way to clean? crc contact cleaner, or should I use a wire brush?

DeOxit is my go to cleaner. Use a small wire brush also, especially if visually oxidized.
ri914
Update...

Ok so everyone has helped me get brakes, headlights, high beams, emergency flashers, running lights, markers and fix all the grounds. I had to clean the fuses and replace some. clean bulbs and follow quite a bit of wiring schematics. Also a big thank you to all who spent time sending everything.

Sooo.. I only have 1 issue left....

TURN Signals, they used to work when all my grounds where messed up, now nothing. The emergency flashers work and Fuse 9/11 is all good and conductive, but no flashing of the turn signals..

I also noticed the brake light power does not work (for now I ran a wire from fuse 9 to the pedal switch and its all good. Could this be the relay? the turn signal stalk? power not getting to the column? I thought power for the brakes was direct from the fuse?

I am at a loss as to what to tear into, last week i did have the right side flasher working. Any help would be great.
lierofox
Brake light switch and turn signals, when the hazard switch knob is pushed in, should receive power from Fuse 9 (on with key On.)

Hazard switch switches over to Fuse 11 (always hot) instead when the knob is pulled out.

Are you testing this with the key switched to On?

Also, have you pulled down the fuse panel to make sure the spade connectors on the back of the block are plugged in, tight, and free from corrosion?

(I'm guessing all of the above is good since you mentioned you've been able to get the brake lights working.)

You can try pulling out the hazard switch and probe terminal 15 with the knob pushed in to make sure there's 12v going there, as well as terminal 49.

Try taking a look at the wiring going up the steering column to the turn signal stalk, if you peek under the lower dash pad, double check to make sure the connectors there are firmly pushed in all the way.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.