Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to install the crush sleeve and the shiftknob ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Frankvw
Hi all.
Intro on issue:
The shiftknob on my 73 1.7 was a bit loose. I pulled it off, came of easily.
The crushsleeve also came out. I did not understand how to refit is so it was tight, so I searched on 914world. I read the trick to use a strip of paper or felt over the shifter and then push the knob over it.....and being Dutch that sounded like a cheap solution !

And then....
well...when I pushed down the knob I cracked the brittle original shiftknob in several pieces....unusable sad.gif

But I found a replacement one (it is same as original but I think it is from JP Group)
It came with a brand new crushsleeve as well.

The question (sorry if it is a bit stupid):
HOW do I install the crushsleeve and replacement shift knob now on the shifter so it is secured and OK in place ? I thought to post the question before I mess up the new crushsleeve. Is it just drop the sleeve in the knob and then push down the knob on the shifter ?
76-914
Put the crush sleeve on the stalk about 1/2 way then slide the knob over the sleeve and press down so they both seat.
VaccaRabite
Sounds like the knob was already cracked. That is why it came loose from the shifter in the first place, and then the felt just split it wide open.

I have tried many options, and have had a "second" quality knob I made on several of my tools held on with felt. It does work, but it also needs to be refreshed every now and again as the felt gets compressed. I've found paper to be better.

As for the original crush ring - the tip above nailed it. I start with the ring 1/4 into the sifter bore. Place that over the shaft. And then tap it down with a wooden or leather or rubber mallet. Never use a metal hammer.

Zach
Ansbacher
I have found that the best way to solve this problem is to drill a small hole in the base of the knob and then screw in a set screw. Forget the crusher rings, they always fail at the most inopportune times. If you do it right, you can use a very small screw that is recessed and no one will ever notice it.

Ansbacher
Mikey914
WE actually sell them this way if you screw it up. It's not easy.
https://914rubber.com/5-speed-gearbox-shift-knob-1-1

AZBanks
Why don't you put the screw towards the dash so it is less visible when you are sitting in the car?
Cairo94507
That's a nice knob at a good price- the NOS Porsche knob is about $185..... good observation re the set screw too.
Mikey914
Actually when the knob is installed on a stock shifter the angle back makes it less visible than on the front surface as it is slightly angled back. It's actually less visible at the back.
Frankvw
thanks for the tip&trics. I will be installing it soon and I will give an update how it went.
Frankvw
as promised an update on this small task....

old cracked one plus its pieces and the new one
Click to view attachment

New one ...Ok...so I put the crushsleeve on the stick itself and pushed down the knob over it.
But it did not seat right..... and pulling it off was still easy.
So attempt 2 was to insert the crushsleeve in the knob already and push it down on the stick.
A little wiggle/twist in the end and it is now firmly attached
Click to view attachment

another thing done. Small task but one gone from the to-do list !
Thanks for the tips and hints on this easy task.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.