Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: what’s going on with car prices
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
draganc
Folks,

Is it just me, or did pre 1990 Porsche prices are going crazy?

Have been looking for a 911 outlaw/RS clone project but haven’t
seen a 911 under $25k for the past 6 months (mainly East coast).

Extended my search to the LAX area, even worse. Limited supply
and “crazy” prices. I guess I just answered my own questions.

Looks like 914 and 944 are also going steadily up.

What’s the forums take?
JamesM
I haven't seen any air cooled 911 under 20k in many years. Lucky to even see them mid 20s these days.

Kicking myself for not picking up an SC back when they could be had for ~10-15k.

914s are getting up there too.
Racer
A rising tide raises all ships, no?

Yup, all those folks who missed out on the 911 bubble have run to others.. 914, 924/44/68 and even 928s. Guess folks have lots of extra money to have sit in a 2nd/3rd/4th car these days. I think 356 prices have stabilized... so that Speedster that you missed out on 10 years ago at $250k is still about $250k wink.gif

The other anomaly to me is the 997 GT3 cars.. seems they were about $120K new and are still about $100-120K used.

An going forward, somehow almost every "new" Porsche is a "1 of 1" considering the myriad of colors and options that are available. Ugh.. I hate to read those ads in a few years as to why someone's Panamera or Cayenne is somehow more exclusive than the next.

I had an SC back when they were 10-15K cars.. and luckily I fended off the rising values by selling it while it was still a 10-15K car wink.gif
Tdskip
QUOTE(draganc @ Oct 21 2020, 11:17 PM) *

Limited supply
and “crazy” prices. I guess I just answered my own questions.

Depends on how to define "crazy", the market has been moving for some time on air cooled 911 and 912s with '74+ following pre '74 up in value albeit unevenly. Vintage everything has moved, with Alfa GTVs and BMW 2002tiis also popping in last 18 months. Early good examples Datsun Z cars have become highly collectable.

I wouldn't agree supply is limited, lots of cars available, just not in your expected price range.

914s have really popped in the last 12 months, with good examples of 944 and 928s also moving. Seems like 914s are being looked at as "substitutes" for 911/912 that have moved beyond affordability range.
Front yard mechanic
Wall Street journal reports all used cars went up 6.2% just in September of 2020
Unobtanium-inc
A lot of what you are seeing right now is dealers with high priced cars if you check ebay, cragislist, etc. Not nearly as many private party cars for sale like we have been seeing in years past? Why, because Porsches aren't selling as well. Why, because the European's are not buying with the same fervor as the last 5 years have shown us, and they were the ones driving the market. So it seems like all the prices right now are crazy, it's because 80% of what you're seeing is the "ask" of high end dealers selling most of their cars on consignment, but they aren't selling, but the prices stay high.
I get lots of calls with people wanting me to buy their car, I tell them what the market will bear and they say, "I'll wait to sell after the apocalypse"
So less supply, and less demand, leaving only the high end dealers, who have no choice but to keep the ads rolling, hoping something sells. We sold our last car of the year last month and don't plan to bring anything else out until Spring 2021. Why sell in a down market?
Andyrew
We've got this puppy for sale unofficially/officially. 10 years ago it would have been a 5k car... Now its a solid 13k-15k car....

Crazy how times change.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhkZ1dBjPNs
draganc
Is this the most expensive none /6 asking price?

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.