Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cell Phones Holder
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cairo94507
OK, as you may have all figured out by now, I drive my car- a lot. I think I have 2,200 miles on it already. I really need a cell phone mount or holder that integrates into the car with out ruining anything.

The ash tray is the likely spot. I want to be able to just remove my ash tray (it's really nice) and source one that may not be as nice and modify that to hold my iPhone securely. What have all of you guys done?

(Generally I am geographically challenged and w/o Waze, etc., would likely not be able to find my way home everyday unsure.gif .)

Thanks in advance,
Michael beerchug.gif
theer
A vendor here makes a 3D printed insert for the ashtray- exactly what you are looking. You add your own holder. Use Google to search, just include “914World” and whatever you are looking for.

914_7T3
Someone posted yesterday on the 914 Facebook owners group that they are making & selling them for $45. I have no affiliation.
horizontally-opposed
Funny timing. Was looking at slipping a magnet that I removed from an "air vent" mount for a Pitaka phone case under the carpeting on my 914's driver's side sill, just above/ahead of the parking brake.

https://www.ipitaka.com/products/magez-case-for-iphone-11

I really don't want anything modern on the dash, and I can both read and reach the phone when I need to—and grab the phone on my way out or place it there on my way in. I moved my audio to the iPhone along time ago, and that position will also support cable audio/charging to the amp as well as bluetooth when I don't care quite so much. And the cable will hardly be noticeable if it falls into the crook next to the handbrake…
JamesM
Do you have access to a 3d printer?

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2285940

I just have a universal windshield suction cup mount that i use with all my cars.
Gint
QUOTE(JamesM @ Oct 23 2020, 07:42 AM) *
Do you have access to a 3d printer?

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2285940

I just have a universal windshield suction cup mount that i use with all my cars.
If it's a seasucker, don't leave it stuck to the windshield for 6 months. It won't last that way. Or mine didn't anyway.
Cairo94507
Hi @Gint , I like the ashtray one; exactly what I am looking for as it just replaces the factory ash tray and puts my phone where I can easily see it while driving without touching and handling it.

I do not see any link to locate that seller or to just buy that? I see his posting is from 2017.....

Thanks,
Michael beerchug.gif
gereed75
I was thinking of taking an old ashtray, cutting a recess in the front trim pad and slipping a magnet in. Sorry not currently at a place I can try it but it seems it could work. Simple, clean and cheap if it works
Steve
I have this one:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...&hl=ashtray
But in the So Cal dry heat, the rubber bands kept drying out. I ended up drilling a couple of holes in my Otter Box iPhone holder and permanently mounting it to the above ashtray mount. Works great and I do not have to worry about the rubber bands. Downside it only works with my phone with the Otter Box case.
Coondog
Here you go
Click to view attachment
FlacaProductions
Here's a link to the facebook post - hopefully it works.
He posted in a few 914-related groups - you may be able to search by his name: Bob Martin or his business: @markae3d

https://www.facebook.com/markae3d/posts/192841652433816
VaccaRabite
I have a little phone holder on my dashboard (of all my cars) that works great and does not require pulling the ashtray.

Cheap on Amazon, and works really well.
https://www.amazon.com/Anti-Slip-Silicone-D...0695&sr=8-5

Zach
PanelBilly
I use an ashtray that has seen better days with one of the “pop” hangers screwed to it. I bought a cheep black phone case that I glued to the male side of connector. Phone swivels and tilts. I can always slip in my nice ashtray.
pvollma
I have a removable cupholder for mine, and then I use the Weathertech CupFone when I want to have my phone available for calls or maps.

Click to view attachment
Jett
There was a group buy for a black plastic ashtray inset with round attachment and magnet. It works well.

Will send a picture in a bit
SKL1
I've got the rennline ones on other P cars but unfortunately they don't make one for the 914. My ashtray is already taken up by 2 VDO gauges...

But that magnetic case sure looks good!
napasteve
Low budget approach:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
IronHillRestorations
Someone on one of the Facebook 914 groups recently posted a mount that goes into the ashtray bracket
Betty
QUOTE(napasteve @ Oct 24 2020, 10:03 AM) *

More pictures of that beautiful cat?! cheer.gif
DRPHIL914
bought this a couple years ago from a moment here on world, got the magnet and magnetic metal plate for back of phone case on Amazon.
Gint

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Oct 23 2020, 07:57 AM) *

Hi @Gint , I like the ashtray one; exactly what I am looking for as it just replaces the factory ash tray and puts my phone where I can easily see it while driving without touching and handling it.

I do not see any link to locate that seller or to just buy that? I see his posting is from 2017.....

Thanks,
Michael beerchug.gif

@Cairo94507 I'm pretty sure this one is basically the same thing as the 2017 post.

QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Oct 23 2020, 09:26 AM) *

Here's a link to the facebook post - hopefully it works.
He posted in a few 914-related groups - you may be able to search by his name: Bob Martin or his business: @markae3d

https://www.facebook.com/markae3d/posts/192841652433816
horizontally-opposed
I can't argue with the placement of the ashtray solutions, or their utility (which is, frankly, so much better than where Porsche placed the "infotainment" back in 1969—always felt the reach to the radio in my 914 was a stretch. However…

Part of my 914's appeal, to me, is the escape it offers from today—and that very much includes screens. The longer I've had my 914, the less I want to see anything that isn't analog on its dashboard…or items related. Mounts. Chargers. Etc.

But we still gotta live in 2020, and the flip side of smart phones is they allow us to ditch the radio on the dash entirely with a hidden amp and/or hidden speakers. Which is why I've been searching for a place that my phone can go, where I can see and reach its screen but don't see it unless I look for it—and a way to mount it that's invisible when not in use. And the flat top surface of the driver's door sill seems just about perfect. As a bonus, it puts the volume buttons within super easy reach. Might end up safer than a traditional head unit in the traditional spot, too...
914forme
Old ashtray and I use a MagBak. Simple magnetic bar, holds the phone very well. Even have one holding my iPad used in the shop.

@Cairo94507 . Michelle, if you need one I will send one over, I have a few old ashtrays if you can not find one locally to alter.
ConeDodger
Here’s a picture of mine I bought from a member a couple years back. Oddly, I have my phone sitting on the seat. It works well. I think the member who made them sent the 3D Print file to @Mikey914 . Not sure he was interested in making them though.
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(914forme @ Oct 25 2020, 09:20 AM) *

Old ashtray and I use a MagBak. Simple magnetic bar, holds the phone very well. Even have one holding my iPad used in the shop.

Man, that MagBak magnet bar is the best/slimmest/subtlest I have seen. If it will work with a Pitaka phone case…

Thanks for posting this! beerchug.gif
Cairo94507
So many options......thanks for posting guys I will have to look and consider each. beerchug.gif
napasteve
QUOTE(Betty @ Oct 24 2020, 03:05 PM) *

QUOTE(napasteve @ Oct 24 2020, 10:03 AM) *

More pictures of that beautiful cat?! cheer.gif

Pearl says why are you making so much noise?
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
These pictures were taken a few years ago. She will turn 19 in January. She runs the house.
drem914
QUOTE(914forme @ Oct 25 2020, 08:20 AM) *

@Cairo94507 . Michelle, if you need one I will send one over, I have a few old ashtrays if you can not find one locally to alter.
Same for me. I just used a different phone holder. I don't like relying on magnets so I used this gravity holder UGREEN Cell Phone Holder It. closes based on ther phones weight
Screwed throw an old ashtray. The rubber covered vent holder unscrews and you attach right through the center in the original mount point.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Krieger
I bought one off Amazon designed for a tripod. I drlled one hole into my nice ash tray. I'm very happy with it.
Krieger
Another

Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
Appreciate all of the pictures and suggestions. This is definitely on my list. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.