Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 3.6 install questions...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
speed metal army
Ive read some thing about the intake being a bit of a pain.. What is the solution? Also any other things that would be specific to 3.6 in a 914 would be cool.
The wiring, exhaust, and oil lines/cooler I have no issue with but the mounting and clearance.. I just haven't gone there before. Pictures are always awesome smile.gif
Steve
The key is finding a 95, there is no room for the varioram. Other than that, you will need an adapter flywheel. Single pulley and modify the six sheet metal. Also a power steering block off. Check Patrick Motorsports web site for all the goodies.
Check out Sir Andy’s build http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=44700
speed metal army
QUOTE(Steve @ Oct 23 2020, 06:54 PM) *

The key is finding a 95, there is no room for the varioram. Other than that, you will need an adapter flywheel. Single pulley and modify the six sheet metal. Also a power steering block off. Check Patrick Motorsports web site for all the goodies.
Check out Sir Andy’s build http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=44700

I have a 95.. And all the other stuff! I read somewhere the intake didn't fit without mods... Untrue??
Chris914n6
If that is the plastic intake I might know a guy willing to trade for a 92? aluminum one for his 911 swap.
Luke M
IIRC Clay used the 993 intake on his build? Maybe you have to rotate the intake to fit into the 914 engine bay. Let me see if I can locate his thread.

Here you go. Go to page 9 for the intake issue but the engine install is a great read.
Clay covers a lot of the issues you will run into. I was planning on a 3.6 build but I couldn't find a 3.6 that wasn't 15 grand that also needed a rebuild. So 3.2 to 3.4 EFI I went with. I know Andy runs the 901/914 trans but it's up to you if you go the 915 route. I had a 915/916 Bott trans recently done by PMS. Get ready to drop some coin there.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=279084
bahnzai
Click to view attachment
bahnzai
Click to view attachment

I needed a low profile K&N air filter and I think I loosened the clamps to rotate the assembly down. Stock intake clears fine.
Marv's3.6six
Quote: I have a 95.. And all the other stuff! I read somewhere the intake didn't fit without mods... Untrue??

Untrue, fits fine. Mine is a 95 as others pictured here with intake installed backwards, I also chopped off all the unneeded plastic bungs on the intake plenum.

If I were you I would look at the install as a system, such as how to properly handle the upgraded HP and torque. Myself I have an upgraded close ratio 915 trans and used Wevo trans mounts and the Patrick Motorport weld in front engine mount as the stock Porsche motor mount is insufficient. Just sayin.

SirAndy
I used an elbow from a Mustang to get the air intake at the right angle so i didn't have to cut anything.

shades.gif

Maltese Falcon
@speed metal army
These 1.75" od long tube headers are avail for your 3.6L requirements, and take the MSDS >>914World member discount.
Thx Lawrence for the cool pic beerchug.gif
Click to view attachment
ClayPerrine
I used a stock 964 intake, but flipped the throttle body around to face the front. It is tight but it fits. If you take the cam that drives the power steering pump and machine off the PS drive, you can put a plug in the back of the cam carrier and not have to worry about it leaking.

There is also a thread on the bird board on how to backdate the 964/993 engine to use the earlier engine mounted oil cooler. http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...here-s-how.html

I couldn't do it and use the adapter plate for the cayman trans too. So I ended up making a metal close off to put in place of the oil cooler.

Good luck with your 3.6 install. Let me know if I can help/offer BTDT advice.

Clay

East coaster
Flipped the intake on mine and it fit just fine.
Maltese Falcon
When we built the 3.6 vRam conversion, we used the Patrick Motorsports ign. switch mod to eliminate the PATS feature on the 3.6 DME.
mb911
I may have heat exchangers ready for these in the not to distant future.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.