Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Momo Prototipo steering wheel
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JamesJ
Hello,
I am considering purchasing this wheel for my ‘74. As far as I can tell, they only come new in 350mm size. From what I have read, the small diameter of the wheel mostly blocks the left and right gauges, and some of the tach as well.
For those of you who have or have had this wheel, in addition to the hub, do I need a 1” or 2” spacer to solve the visibility problem or do I need an eccentric spacer?

Click to view attachment
horizontally-opposed
To each their own, but I think the Prototipo remains one of the best choices for a 914 if the stock wheel or replica GT wheel isn't your thing. Period design and 917 vibes make it a natural.

Had one in my 914 for a while, and it was a big upgrade over a smaller 1980s/1990s style Momo Corse. Highly recommend an eccentric adapter for a little more leg/knee room and a bit more tach visibility too, but you can always add one later if you need it. You might not. I do—and between an eccentric adapter and a lowered driver's seat, I can finally see 100% of the tach…
steuspeed
350mm is a great size. I have a Prototipo on my Scirocco and the Grand Prix on my 73 914. I don't use any spacers. There is a guy selling momo 8002 hubs on ebay for 89.95. Sold one to me for $85. Singer Porsche specs the Prototipo on all their cars. Get the momo Porsche crest horn button too. Gauge blocking maybe a bit, but the tach is what I need to see the most. Speedo if I am in speed trap areas. Love the size and the feel over the stock boat anchor wheel. I would never go back. Just bought a momo V35 for my 914 outlaw. Click to view attachment
oakdalecurtis
I use the JSWest eccentric spacer with mine, way better. As mentioned, more leg room and better visual with the gauges. When driving, unless you're a track monster, the normal small turns of the wheel make the center offset undetectable. beerchug.gif
sixnotfour
I have a 370mm prototipo...love it
Tonyooc
I love mine, it does block your tach a little but I'm not racing so it doesn't effect me much
Unobtanium-inc
You can drive with handcuff's, ask me how I know...
nditiz1
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Oct 24 2020, 05:26 AM) *

You can drive with handcuff's, ask me how I know...

Well now I want to hear the story beerchug.gif
gereed75
All in on the Protipo all in on 350 (perfect size) all in on an eccentric hub. Mine is offset about 3/4 inch. does not sound like much but improves leg room, gauge visibility and you'll never know it's there
bcsellie
QUOTE(JamesJ @ Oct 23 2020, 08:53 PM) *

Hello,
I am considering purchasing this wheel for my ‘74. As far as I can tell, they only come new in 350mm size. From what I have read, the small diameter of the wheel mostly blocks the left and right gauges, and some of the tach as well.
For those of you who have or have had this wheel, in addition to the hub, do I need a 1” or 2” spacer to solve the visibility problem or do I need an eccentric spacer?

Click to view attachment

Is this the same as the Momo Prototipo listed on Amazon for $239....free shipping?

https://www.amazon.com/MOMO-PRO35BK2B-Proto...7764&sr=8-1
Mark Henry
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Oct 24 2020, 12:05 AM) *

I do—and between an eccentric adapter and a lowered driver's seat, I can finally see 100% of the tach…

Is there a thread on this mod?
@horizontally-opposed

Coondog
QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Oct 23 2020, 11:00 PM) *

I use the JSWest eccentric spacer with mine, way better. As mentioned, more leg room and better visual with the gauges. When driving, unless you're a track monster, the normal small turns of the wheel make the center offset undetectable. beerchug.gif

Agree, great simple mod.
Montreal914
There is this 370mm Prototipo replica available. I have been tempted by it. smile.gif

http://www.rennsportclassics.eu/product.php?id=80

Click to view attachment
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Oct 24 2020, 04:39 PM) *

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Oct 24 2020, 12:05 AM) *

I do—and between an eccentric adapter and a lowered driver's seat, I can finally see 100% of the tach…

Is there a thread on this mod?
@horizontally-opposed

Yep.

Post #50 for the start of that mod, with some more pics in posts #75-78:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...80724&st=40

Post #201 for pics of the completed setup:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...0724&st=200

The steering column eccentric helped—an idea I got from the factory steering wheel in a daily driver I had at the time, and one Paul Sayegh fabbed up before one was on the market because he was just that kind of guy—but the seat mount mod finally got me as low as I wanted to be in the car without resorting to removing the seat pad. Finally seeing the top of the tach was a very nice bonus. I've got relatively short legs and a relatively tall torso, so it really helped. Also seems to be a bit better in terms of being out of the wind with the top off—though I am less sure about that as the car was off the road for a while during the paint/metal work.

I plan to redo my floors at some point. Back then, I didn't want to have the car off the road for too long (haha…). But I'd like to schedule some down time to really redo the lower interior. Bare metal > new sound deadening > new carpets > door rebuilds, etc. etc. But that might be awhile, as I am having too much fun driving the car in the rare chances I get.
GregAmy
I had a 350mm Montecarlo, did not like it. Too small for useful leverage and it blocked the gauges as you describe.

I was patient and scoured eBay and found a reasonably-priced 380mm Prototipo. Love it. Perfect size. I use i with with a 2" spacer from LTB Autosport and the eccentric adapter from JWest.

Liked it so much I did the same thing for my race car.

https://ltbautosports.com/ltb-2-steering-wheel-spacer/
http://www.jwesteng.com/shop/914/15-steeri...c-adapter.html#
jim_hoyland
After 3 different steering wheels, the Prototipo is a real pleasure to use; slot better than my more recent Boxster'd wheel.
Funny story: I met up with a World member at Renndport who had previously sold me the Prototipo. I thanked him for selling it to me and how much I liked it.
He had forgotten he sold it and had been looking for it.
JamesJ
Thanks to all for the feedback and photos. I like the older 370mm Prototipo, but it is very difficult to find one for sale and I imagine they don't last long when advertised...guessing they are way north of 1K if you did. I clicked on the link provided for the Rennsport Prototipo 370mm but could not find a way to purchase it on their website. I ended up purchasing the current version of the Prototipo(350mm) with hub adapter and Porsche crest horn button...got them all from LTB Autosports and with their discount got it for less than the Amazon price. I will install it without any spacers and see if I need to add any later on. My plan is to buy an aftermarket sport seat and that may force me to buy a spacer. Also got the JWest eccentric adapter. driving.gif
BuddyV
JamesJ..... different for everyone (IMHO).

I have a spare hub, eccentric ring, and Prototipo. You can borrow them at WCR and drive with them installed..... see for yourself what you think.

I have the spacers/ eccentric ring combo that I like.... the Prototipo is my favorite.

Text me in advance to remind me and I will pull the kit for you.

Robert
BuddyV

I have a spare hub, eccentric ring, and Prototipo. You can borrow them at WCR and drive with them installed..... see for yourself what you think.

I have the spacers/ eccentric ring combo that I like.... the Prototipo is my favorite.

Robert
steuspeed
I just got my momo hub today I bought on ebay. It came from LTB Autosports.
VegasRacer

The 350mm Momo does obstruct my view somewhat, but I mostly rely on the tach. and engine sounds for information. elvira.gif

Click to view attachment
JamesJ
QUOTE(BuddyV @ Oct 26 2020, 08:23 PM) *

Robert

Thanks for the offer Robert, @BuddyV , but my items were already purchased and are on the way. Hope to have them installed for the WCR. What size spacer are you using?
JamesJ
QUOTE(VegasRacer @ Oct 27 2020, 08:41 PM) *

The 350mm Momo does obstruct my view somewhat, but I mostly rely on the tach. and engine sounds for information. elvira.gif

Click to view attachment

@VegasRacer , I wonder if your 911 dash cluster sits higher than the 914 dash.
BuddyV
QUOTE(JamesJ @ Oct 27 2020, 08:51 PM) *

Robert

Thanks for the offer Robert, @BuddyV , but my items were already purchased and are on the way. Hope to have them installed for the WCR. What size spacer are you using?

James -

I use a rather thick spacer.... I like my wrists to rest on the top of the wheel when I sit relaxed. Bought the spacer on Amazon, I recall.

Robert
oakdalecurtis
Here's two pictures of the view of the gauges, first without the eccentric spacer, second with the JSWest eccentric spacer installed.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
JamesJ
QUOTE(BuddyV @ Oct 27 2020, 09:15 PM) *

QUOTE(JamesJ @ Oct 27 2020, 08:51 PM) *

Robert

James -

I use a rather thick spacer.... I like my wrists to rest on the top of the wheel when I sit relaxed. Bought the spacer on Amazon, I recall.

Robert

Good to know. I’ve seen 1” and 2” spacers for sale, or I could have one made depending on what works best in terms of comfort and gauge visibility.
JamesJ
QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Oct 28 2020, 02:49 AM) *

Here's two pictures of the view of the gauges, first without the eccentric spacer, second with the JSWest eccentric spacer installed.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Thanks for the before and after photos. That is a big difference. I am glad I bought the eccentric.
DC_neun_vierzehn
QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Oct 28 2020, 03:49 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

@oakdalecurtis

How did you get the horn button to sit in the wheel with the eccentric spacer? I'm assuming it was the JWest eccentric spacer?

I have a Momo Prototipo wheel, hub, and horn button. Everything fit and worked fine. Then several months later I piced up a JWest eccentric spacer and now the horn button will not stay seated in the wheel.
Optimusglen
Best wheel of them all. 380mm

IPB Image

I'm incredibly biased though.
raynekat
QUOTE(Optimusglen @ Aug 8 2021, 09:18 PM) *

Best wheel of them all. 380mm

IPB Image

I'm incredibly biased though.

You should be....they are beautiful.
I'll have one on my next build.
raynekat
Put a 350mm in my car and really can see the gauges well enough.
Sure you have to tilt a little this way and that, but it's really not that big of a deal and you don't really know you're doing it.

I'm taller (6'2" with long legs), so the smaller Moms helps out a lot for being able to fit into the car and drive it.

I went and bought the "Heritage" Prototipo because they use distressed leather and it gives you the patina look right from the get go.
And a Wolfsburg crest horn button....of course. wink.gif

Click to view attachment
VaccaRabite
Just clock your gauges so you can see the parts you care about.
And enjoy the arm workout you are going to get parking, especially if you have wider then stock tires.

I've been noodling going back to a stock size wheel now for a few years. The gauges I don't care about, really having to crank the wheel to park I do. But the smaller wheel sure does look better in the car, and is more responsive on the road.

Zach
Shivers
Like mentioned above, I clocked it so I can see the business end. When I can’t take time to move my head to see, the other gauges don’t matter.

Click to view attachment
Optimusglen
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Aug 9 2021, 07:48 AM) *

But the smaller wheel sure does look better in the car, and is more responsive on the road.

Certainly, the "looks" depends on the individual. Some like a smaller wheel and some like a larger wheel.

I've never been a fan of the way a smaller wheel makes the car drive though, with the reduced leverage on the steering you feel a lot more of the harshness of the road. I had a 350 in my car when I first got it running/driving and thought it was just fine. Once I swapped to a factory size wheel it was night and day smoother and more enjoyable to drive.
Tonyooc
I'm running a 350, so much nicer than stock.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.