Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chances the cars will survive a fire if parked away from trees on the street?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
I know the answer is "maybe" depending upon 100s of variables but it may come to this with the fires.

I have more cars at the house than I can quickly relocate, first world problem to be sure.

I know we have a good number of members in this area - hope people are doing OK.
FlacaProductions
Oh man. I'm in Brentwood and can hold one car if that helps at all. I hate this post...
Tdskip

Appreciate the response, I apologize I was calmly freaking out a bit.

With a little help from the winds quieting down it looks like our extremely hard-working fire crews are making a bit of progress, it’s all a bit surreal frankly but it’s not that big of a jump to hit the Greenbelt that my house borders and it’s mostly filled with eucalyptus trees so it would go up in a flash.

I do know for sure that there are at least two people that are members here that are under current evaluation, probably more than that.

For anyone in Irvine/Lake Forest/foothill Ranch I will be happy to make room available or come help in anyway needed.
914_teener
The answer Tom....is absolutly NOT.

What it will accomplish is to block the path of people leaving or responders from arriving to protect your property.

In Brentwood cannot park your car on the street during red flag events in So Cal.

Best idea is to park it someones elses house or drive it out when evavcuating.

Sorry for the Crusty answer.....just not a neighborly idea.
horizontally-opposed
Tom, thoughts with you. With a 914 I've had for 32~ years, and open lands just a street and a house away…I get it. But, ultimately, stuff is stuff.

Our evac plan is to drive a wheelchair van and the 914 out of here, leaving a 911 and a Mazda in the garage. Or, if need be, just the van. I could be wrong, but I suspect cars have their best shot at survival in a garage anyway, as I can see firefighters being more worried about defending structures, and rightly so.
Tdskip
QUOTE(914_teener @ Oct 26 2020, 10:55 PM) *

The answer Tom....is absolutly NOT.

What it will accomplish is to block the path of people leaving or responders from arriving to protect your property.

In Brentwood cannot park your car on the street during red flag events in So Cal.

Best idea is to park it someones elses house or drive it out when evavcuating.

Sorry for the Crusty answer.....just not a neighborly idea.

Good morning - we don’t have that restriction here and I had sure not to block or restrict traffic flow. Even with cars on either side of the street to could drive a - wide
load hauler down the middle without issue.
Tdskip
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Oct 26 2020, 11:53 PM) *

Tom, thoughts with you. With a 914 I've had for 32~ years, and open lands just a street and a house away…I get it. But, ultimately, stuff is stuff.

Our evac plan is to drive a wheelchair van and the 914 out of here, leaving a 911 and a Mazda in the garage. Or, if need be, just the van. I could be wrong, but I suspect cars have their best shot at survival in a garage anyway, as I can see firefighters being more worried about defending structures, and rightly so.

We have tree on either side and the back of our house so it the wild space catches I’m pretty sure the house would too, along with it then the garage. Never really know until it happens I suppose.

It is just stuff ultimately....

Taken in town up in what is called Foothill Ranch where we have members, around 7 PM last night.
Click to view attachment
Beach914
Tough decisions. Left my 308 in the garage in Irvine last night to evacuate. Huge smoke clouds were blowing over our housing area and the smoke in the house made breathing impossible. We found a hotel further south out of the smoke.

My home insurance and collector car insurance are up to date so that's about all I can do.

Wonder if they'll let me go back and get the 308 out. I can store it at work if I can get back to it.

914 Gt project is in storage in Huntington Beach so its safe.
Olympic 914
Hoping for the best for you guys. I really can't imagine what it must be like with the threat of losing your house and all belongings. A check from the insurance company would not begin to ease the pain.

Living in SW PA we are pretty protected from natural disasters. Occasional flooding in low lying areas, But people living there know what to expect.

Stay safe.
JamesM
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Oct 26 2020, 04:47 PM) *

I know the answer is "maybe" depending upon 100s of variables but it may come to this with the fires.

I have more cars at the house than I can quickly relocate, first world problem to be sure.

I know we have a good number of members in this area - hope people are doing OK.

Based on pictures I saw from the last round of fires I wouldn't think you have a much better chance of anything surviving on the street vs in your garage or driveway. The heat , smoke, and embers from an entire neighborhood on fire seems to do a lot of collateral damage.

My buddy out in Lake Elsinore last year was having to keep an eye on his yard as embers from miles away were floating in and lit up a couple of his neighbors yards. Crazy how intense the fires are these days.

Not sure what movement restrictions are in place out there, but maybe you could bring a few people in to help you move cars out? I would offer to help it I were anywhere closer.

Hoping for the best for all.
Robarabian
Im in Simi Valley. Side yard is open can store your car there.
Tdskip
Hope everyone is doing as well as possible. Who knows that today will bring regionally but things do not appear to have gotten worse overnight. Air quality is awful but actual fire risk to structures has not increased.

That is not my neighbor in the picture but we are somewhat similar - have to agree it is not likely to save anything....

I know all the people impacted/potential impacted appreciate the good thought of the community here.

flipb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3t7cPCqqsAc

Is something like this available for retail sale? Could you use it as a car cover when evacuating?
rhodyguy
Ever stood 20' from a BIG bonfire?
Tdskip
QUOTE(flipb @ Oct 27 2020, 10:36 AM) *

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3t7cPCqqsAc

Is something like this available for retail sale? Could you use it as a car cover when evacuating?

Everyone in a Western state near trees one that sized for the whole house!
UROpartsman
We have lots of parking at our warehouse in Simi Valley, if anyone threatened by fire wants to store a car(s) temporarily.

The North and West sides of the lot are gated at night (and we have a night crew), and though it's an industrial area the crime rate is pretty low. Much of the parking on the North and West sides of the building is currently covered by storage containers (not shown on Google Maps), but we could probably fit ten cars back there, and another 50 outside the gated area.

Just let us know, we're happy to help.
Tdskip
QUOTE(UROpartsman @ Oct 27 2020, 12:48 PM) *

We have lots of parking at our warehouse in Simi Valley, if anyone threatened by fire wants to store a car(s) temporarily.

Very kind / supportive to offer, thanks on behalf of those of us at risk.
Tdskip
Looks like the immediate danger to the immediate area a couple of us are in has passed, fire still and issue for other nearby areas.

Very humbling experience...
Coondog
Just don’t park it next to a Fire Hydrant
Crudbud
Take it from someone who just lived through this nightmare! At 2am I woke up in a sweat no power on Aug 16th LNU fire. Drove to towards the fire and saw a big orange glow raced back to our house to get the family out, the parrot and opened the shop (metal ag building) and fired up the 914 and had wife drive it to a friend's house I grabbed a couple momentos out the door and homes and hillside just beyond house were flaming got to hotel and roommates 65 Vette parked next to 914 in shop was nowhere in site. He left it and the whole shop burned for 2 days as well as all of our out buildings and home! Not a single drop of water, boots or mop up crew entered the property. We got an evacuation notice later that evening in our hotel. The fire went building to building on our 5 acres also other neighbors in the path burned to oblivion! No support equals ash and nothing else except metal junk! Our 59 bus was destroyed but if we had parked vehicles in the gravel driveway or the mowed field they would have survived I also think that tires on vehicles tractors are easy fuel as a Kubota on cut grass burned but a a mower with plastic wheels and fuel tank was untouched but grass around it burned and still had gas in plastic tank. If you don't have time or vehicles have dead battery push it out away from fuel like trees in the open and you will have something to come back to!Click to view attachment
Tdskip
QUOTE(Crudbud @ Oct 28 2020, 11:23 PM) *

Take it from someone who just lived through this nightmare! At 2am I woke up in a sweat no power on Aug 16th LNU fire. Drove to towards the fire and saw a big orange glow raced back to our house to get the family out, the parrot and opened the shop (metal ag building) and fired up the 914 and had wife drive it to a friend's house I grabbed a couple momentos out the door and homes and hillside just beyond house were flaming got to hotel and roommates 65 Vette parked next to 914 in shop was nowhere in site. He left it and the whole shop burned for 2 days as well as all of our out buildings and home! Not a single drop of water, boots or mop up crew entered the property. We got an evacuation notice later that evening in our hotel. The fire went building to building on our 5 acres also other neighbors in the path burned to oblivion! No support equals ash and nothing else except metal junk! Our 59 bus was destroyed but if we had parked vehicles in the gravel driveway or the mowed field they would have survived I also think that tires on vehicles tractors are easy fuel as a Kubota on cut grass burned but a a mower with plastic wheels and fuel tank was untouched but grass around it burned and still had gas in plastic tank. If you don't have time or vehicles have dead battery push it out away from fuel like trees in the open and you will have something to come back to!Click to view attachment

Those pictures are hard to look at, so glad to hear your family was all OK. The fires down here, as unsettling as they were, were small in scale compared to what you all lived through.

Hope you are doing well and if you or any other members here need any help please do not be shy.
dt4
QUOTE(Crudbud @ Oct 29 2020, 04:23 AM) *

That's terrible and must be devastating to go through
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.