Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Reproduction fuel tank
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
IronHillRestorations
Getting to the fun part on a long term resto-mod project, and we've got to make a decision on the fuel tank. Owner prefers new on a lot of things, as long as it's good quality.

Has anyone gotten one of the new Dansk reproduction fuel tanks? How are they?

Description I've seen says '74-76, so I wonder about putting one in a 6??

Pros and cons??
tygaboy
I got one through Pelican for my LS swap. It's a nice piece and seems like a great deal at just under $250. I'm in CA, like Pelican, and shipping was a ridiculously low price - $22, if I recall.
914werke
QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Oct 27 2020, 11:39 AM) *
Pros and cons??

I think there is a thread/ad in the classifieds that details these re-pop tanks are indeed a value, the only downside is they only are available with the brackets for the late plastic evaporative tank fitment not the metal tank used on the earlier cars including the /6
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE(914werke @ Oct 27 2020, 12:04 PM) *

Pros and cons??

I think there is a thread/ad in the classifieds that details these re-pop tanks are indeed a value, the only downside is they only are available with the brackets for the late plastic evaporative tank fitment not the metal tank used on the earlier cars including the /6

Interesting, as a '74 had a metal evap tank
bdstone914
@IronHillRestorations

QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Oct 27 2020, 12:38 PM) *

Pros and cons??

George AA claims he got them to change but they had the expansion tank brackets for an early and no bracket for the charcoal canister.
Mark got one out of the UK cheap

@914sixer
JamesM
QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Oct 27 2020, 11:38 AM) *

Pros and cons??

Earlier 74s had the front charcoal canister, later 74s including the LE cars did not.
914Sixer
Yes, I got one of the reproduction tanks. It was correct EXCEPT there was no canister mounting bracket. The 75-76 has a completely different mount turned in the other direction. You will have to check with Dr 914 IF they ever got things sorted out for the different tanks.
cary
We installed one yesterday. The seam weld on top is about 3mms too tall. Had to trim it down to put on the clamp bridge.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Oct 27 2020, 03:38 PM) *

Pros and cons??

So do the two '74's that are here.
aturboman
I had the same experiences: the seam is too tall for the clamping bridge. Made and welded on a bracket for the front mounted charcoal canister bracket as well.

QUOTE(cary @ Oct 28 2020, 07:15 AM) *

We installed one yesterday. The seam weld on top is about 3mms too tall. Had to trim it down to put on the clamp bridge.
Literati914
Cip1 is having a sale and the tanks are included.. & free shipping. They describe them as 70-76, so who know what bracketry is actually on it. Just an option I thought I'd point out.
https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?Pr...D201%2D010%2D12

Amphicar770
QUOTE(Literati914 @ Oct 28 2020, 12:20 PM) *

Cip1 is having a sale and the tanks are included.. & free shipping. They describe them as 70-76, so who know what bracketry is actually on it. Just an option I thought I'd point out.
https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?Pr...D201%2D010%2D12

I paid a lot.more than that to have my '74 tank professionally cleaned and sealed.
trick-e

Just ordered a repro tank from CIP (https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=P%2D914%2D201%2D010%2D12). Free shipping and on sale!
I’ll post once I receive it.
Talked with Gary at CIP. He confirmed the tank pictured is the one in stock (for late models). Great guy, really helpful. Did say there were only two in stock, and one is mine. I’m not going for concours. Close enough and functional is good enough.

Also ordered a few supporting parts from 914Rubber. Those guys turn thing around. My order was packed and shipped within the hour! Sweet. Might be back on the road for one last drive this season. (Saw our first snow last night.)

Cheers.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
their first run was not too good, incorrect brackets and the fuel sending hit the too high cup in the bottom of the tank, had to grind it down. We actually sent them an early and late tank to show the differences and now they are ok

Getting to the fun part on a long term resto-mod project, and we've got to make a decision on the fuel tank. Owner prefers new on a lot of things, as long as it's good quality.

Has anyone gotten one of the new Dansk reproduction fuel tanks? How are they?

Pros and cons??

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.