Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ‘73 2.0 won’t start. Tank screen plugged?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
trick-e
Hi team.
1973 2.0.
Sat for a couple of weeks while I found a pair of used injectors to replace the leaky two. Soaked injectors in cleaner then exchanged them. Changed all of the injector seals also.
Started up and ran like a champ.
However, each subsequent time it was harder to start. Turns over, battery is a new odyssey 680 from two months ago.
Only use non-ethanol 91
Added injector cleaner.
A couple weeks ago it wouldn’t start, pushed it back into the garage then a couple days later it started again, but again not like it used to.
Now, it won’t fire up. Sounds like it’s starving for juice.
Replaced the fuel filter tonight. Old one looked clean but...
Confirmed the ground strap is clean.
I can hear the fuel pump kick on for a bit.
Seams like the filter box should be full of fuel if the system pressurizes, but it’s only about half full.

I’m leaning towards cleaning the tank.
Sound like the most obvious step?
dlee6204
I'd put a fuel pressure gauge on it to see if you're building pressure. If the tank outlet is clogged then I'd expect you will see it not building pressure or pressure will drop off quickly once you try to start it.

You could also spray some starting fluid in the throttle body and then try to start it. If it attempts to start then you have a fuel delivery issue.
JOEPROPER
agree.gif 1st logical step is to determine what you're missing. Spark or fuel. Do the easy stuff first.
GregAmy
It would be extremely difficult to plug the tank screen, since it's a couple inches long and stands proud of the bottom.

However, it's easy to visually check by pulling the fuel gauge sender and shining a flashlight straight down.
trick-e
Sure as shootin’ it looks like the screen is covered in something like a hardened glue. I tried to scrub it off with a long handled brush, but could not even get a fleck off of it. Looks like the tank was pulled at one time and treated on the inside. Either the liner wasn’t totally dry before refueling, or they didn’t even bother to remove the screen first.

And of course the tank is about 3/4 full.
So it goes.
GregAmy
UGH!!!!
Jamie
QUOTE(trick-e @ Oct 28 2020, 04:36 PM) *

Sure as shootin’ it looks like the screen is covered in something like a hardened glue. I tried to scrub it off with a long handled brush, but could not even get a fleck off of it. Looks like the tank was pulled at one time and treated on the inside. Either the liner wasn’t totally dry before refueling, or they didn’t even bother to remove the screen first.

And of course the tank is about 3/4 full.
So it goes.

I damaged a new screen and decided to rely on an external filter without screen. That has worked well for several years and I don't consider the internal screen worth a fight to install. ar15.gif
jim_hoyland
Those tank sovk-screens might be effective, but the fuel filter is a l9t easier to see and change (if needed) than that screen in the tank outlet.
I quit using them.
And, an on-line we fuel pressure gauge is huge in diagnosing.
trick-e
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Oct 28 2020, 10:53 PM) *

Those tank sovk-screens might be effective, but the fuel filter is a l9t easier to see and change (if needed) than that screen in the tank outlet.
I quit using them.
And, an on-line we fuel pressure gauge is huge in diagnosing.

I’ll have add the gauge to a friend list of spring projects. Just got the car in May so really just wanted to drive it the first season. LOL

Just ordered a repro tank from CIP (https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=P%2D914%2D201%2D010%2D12). Talked with Gary. He confirmed the tank pictured is the one in stock (for late models). Great guy, really helpful. Also ordered a few things from 914Rubber. Those guys turn thing around. My order was packed and shipped within the hour. Sweet.

Thx for the help team.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.