Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Quick release steering wheel
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Coondog
So I posted in the past that I have been working with the good folks at NRG to make a quick release hub for the 914. I only wanted one for theft deterrent. Jim Hoyland has one on his 914 for many years now so I reached out to manufacture of his hub but they no longer make a quick release. That’s when I reached out to NRG, problem is it’s been a year now and really nothing has progressed. I am sure these crazy times played a major roll.

Last summer I was talking with Keith....914Toy and he showed me the quick release set up that he had. It looked great, the horn worked and it took him about a 1/2 hour to install. Even better Amazon sells it for 29.95. Is it a rip off of a NRG design ? YES it is but I gotta say after I installed mine I was impressed with how well it’s built. Will i replace it in the future when the NRG quick release is ready, OF COURSE.

All the credit goes to Keith, simple mod that gives you peace of mind when you walk away from your 914 as it’s hard to steal with out a steering wheel.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
porschetub
QUOTE(Coondog @ Oct 28 2020, 02:13 PM) *

So I posted in the past that I have been working with the good folks at NRG to make a quick release hub for the 914. I only wanted one for theft deterrent. Jim Hoyland has one on his 914 for many years now so I reached out to manufacture of his hub but they no longer make a quick release. That’s when I reached out to NRG, problem is it’s been a year now and really nothing has progressed. I am sure these crazy times played a major roll.

Last summer I was talking with Keith....914Toy and he showed me the quick release set up that he had. It looked great, the horn worked and it took him about a 1/2 hour to install. Even better Amazon sells it for 29.95. Is it a rip off of a NRG design ? YES it is but I gotta say after I installed mine I was impressed with how well it’s built. Will i replace it in the future when the NRG quick release is ready, OF COURSE.

All the credit goes to Keith, simple mod that gives you peace of mind when you walk away from your 914 as it’s hard to steal with out a steering wheel.

Wow !!! takes little time for them to pirate stuff must piss NRG off ?,good to see it works anyway,these are bit like the knock off Momo wheel hubs,rough as guts casting and don't fit the 914 base with out modification...ask me how I know dry.gif .

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

SO.O.C914er
Keith is so knowledgeable when it comes to these cars. I’m always impressed with the new things he is doing to his car. welder.gif smilie_pokal.gif
jim_hoyland
I saw Keith’s QR instal and thought it made for a tighter fit than the NRG.
The QR wheel makes working under the dash or the gauges a lot easier too...
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(SO.O.C914er @ Oct 27 2020, 08:12 PM) *

Keith is so knowledgeable when it comes to these cars. I’m always impressed with the new things he is doing to his car. welder.gif smilie_pokal.gif

agree.gif

I admired Keith's recent AC set up this past Saturday.
Very impressive beerchug.gif

914Toy
Thanks for your kind generous comments. I learn a lot more from this community than I am able to contribute.
Cairo94507
Hi Greg, @Coondog ,
What is the distance now from the end of the column to the steering wheel? It looks like the 2 hubs add a few inches. For those that are tall, not an issue. But for short me, I really do not want the wheel moving closer to me.

I had a Momo on my last 6 like Greg has on his car now. I took the Momo hub adapter to a friend's shop and he cut the depth out of the hub. He put it on his lathe, cut it, welded it back together and I think it only added 1.5" to the set-up- taking about 2" out of the length. I have been considering a 370MM Prototipo for my car but want to keep the distance approximately the same as stock. beerchug.gif
eric9144
@Cairo94507 Measurements
Click to view attachment
Coondog
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Oct 28 2020, 08:28 AM) *

Hi Greg, @Coondog ,
What is the distance now from the end of the column to the steering wheel? It looks like the 2 hubs add a few inches. For those that are tall, not an issue. But for short me, I really do not want the wheel moving closer to me.

I had a Momo on my last 6 like Greg has on his car now. I took the Momo hub adapter to a friend's shop and he cut the depth out of the hub. He put it on his lathe, cut it, welded it back together and I think it only added 1.5" to the set-up- taking about 2" out of the length. I have been considering a 370MM Prototipo for my car but want to keep the distance approximately the same as stock. beerchug.gif

Added approx 2 inch’s. I also have the J West off-sit adapter which adds another 1/2 inch.
The closer wheel is just something I will get use to. I do like the ideal of cutting 2 inches off the Momo hub.

And yes I can put my seat back but even at 6 foot I have to stretch to engage the clutch all the way .
Cairo94507
Thanks @eric9144 and @Coondog .
mbseto
Near-future headline: "Police pull over Florida man for steering with channel locks."
1adam12
I have a quick release that I swapped over from my 240sx. It's a spine channel lock system from Signal Japan. Had it for years, very rare now. Combined with my Sparco Targa wheel and ebay 914 specific hub look awesome.
jim_hoyland

Added approx 2 inch’s. I also have the J West off-sit adapter which adds another 1/2 inch.
The closer wheel is just something I will get use to. I do like the ideal of cutting 2 inches off the Momo hub.

And yes I can put my seat back but even at 6 foot I have to stretch to engage the clutch all the way .

Had the same issue. Had the collapsible part of the hub modified to shorten it an inch . Don't have a pic.
IIRC, took into local machinists to cut and reeled.In any case, I got the steering wheel closer to the dash and it feels right
Matty900
@coondog you will get to see this next week at West Coast Rally aktion035.gif
Coondog
Awesome......Thank you
1adam12
That's awesome!! Chris, Steve and the staff over there are good people!
gereed75
The hub height issue was more apparent to me when extending the fingers to work the stalk controls. Did not notice it as far as arms to wheel distance. Definitely worth fixing back to stock to be able to reach blinker/high beam switches like normal
PlaysWithCars
Years ago I added an NRG quick release to mine but to avoid the significant offset you get with a Momo adapter and the NRG quick release, I used the hub off of an original steering wheel and drilled the Momo bolt pattern into it for the NRG QR to attach to. I also added a Momo offset hub to raise the wheel because I'm 6'4". All in, hub/offest/QR, it only moved the rim of the wheel rearward about 1".

You just need to find a crusty old wheel and grind off a couple of rivets to remove the hub from it.
djway
What are NRG leather steering wheels like compared to MOMO?
djway
This thread got me thinking
Click to view attachment
Just needs the right screws.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.