Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: storing some axles...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scottb
i scored a set of those ebay axles with cv's and while i don't need them now i want to store them until i do. should i grease them all up and wrap them in some heavy plastic (like miles goats on friday) or just keep them covered with a light coating of wd40 or motor oil while waiting until they are needed (like miles goats on monday)? sheeplove.gif

honestly, they look very nice and i like having back up stuff but i want to make certain given my humid clime that they remain in good shape until called into service. i am leaning towards fully greasing them up and stashing them in bags.

opinions appreciated.....

SpecialK
Grease 'em, and double bag 'em. If you don't you'll have crap everywhere.

I believe that's the way Miles does it... sheeplove.gif biggrin.gif
Brian Mifsud
be careful not to use anything that will attract water....

friend of mine took apart his 4-Cam Carrerra Engine (1955 vintage) and wrapped parts in "greased" cotton.... all those parts were horribly pitted after 10 years storage.

If you can, WD-40 or proper "cosmoline", then vacuum seal them, removing all the air (and any associated trapped moisture).. One of those little machines for packing and freezing food are great 'cuase they use "bags" that are tubes you seal each end, so length isn't any issue AND they vacuum the air out...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.