Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: alternator bench test
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
goobstine
can someone tell me where to hook my leads to bench test my alternator please ??
914Sixer
Make it quick and easy, take it to the local auto parts store. They have all the right test equipment, usually free.
bbrock
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Oct 28 2020, 03:59 PM) *

Make it quick and easy, take it to the local auto parts store. They have all the right test equipment, usually free.

Make sure they can test an alternator with external voltage regulator. I called my FLAPS, asked them specifically this question. "Yep, we can test it." Drove a half hour down from the mountains into town. NOPE, their machine said it could only be tested in the car. Waste of time.

The factory manual has bench testing procedures for components (diodes, windings, etc.).
goobstine
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Oct 28 2020, 04:59 PM) *

That defeats the purpose. I am a student, trying to learn. thank you.
goobstine
QUOTE(bbrock @ Oct 28 2020, 06:01 PM) *

Make sure they can test an alternator with external voltage regulator. I called my FLAPS, asked them specifically this question. "Yep, we can test it." Drove a half hour down from the mountains into town. NOPE, their machine said it could only be tested in the car. Waste of time.

The factory manual has bench testing procedures for components (diodes, windings, etc.).

thank you, there is a way to do this with a volt meter and a dummy light i just dont want to charge the wrong wire. youtube has about half the info i needed it just wasnt specific enough for our type of terminals
porschetub
QUOTE(goobstine @ Oct 29 2020, 04:49 PM) *

Sorry to say but this forum will help you so take advise as given ,the way to bench test an altenator is beyond most skilled guys on here without the right gear let alone a guy learning ,its not a simple test.
Lots of stuff on the net and lot is BS tread carefully.
Good luck.
MartyYeoman
Give Dean a call. He's an expert at these kinds of things.

www.deansautoelectrical.com
76-914
QUOTE(goobstine @ Oct 28 2020, 08:49 PM) *

I can certainly support that attitude. I like to find out for myself whether I’m up to task or not. You wouldn’t believe the things I’ve accomplished when others have told me leave it to the pros. I think Spoke posted something here about testing out alternators once. @Spoke
Spoke
In the diagram below, the main components of the alternator are shown. There's 9 diodes, 3 stator windings, and an armature. Pretty much the only component which can be isolated is the armature. The diodes and stator windings cannot be isolated to be tested separately.

If you want to do a bench test, then you have to set up a fixture to spin the alternator while checking voltages and the current capability of the alternator.

The diagram below can be used to do a bench test. Here's what you need to do to do a bench test:

1) Connect a battery between B+ on the alternator and the alternator case.
2) Do not install the voltage regulator.
3) Use the original wire harness to the voltage regulator connected to the alternator.
4) Short D+ and DF to put the alternator into maximum charge state.
5) Connect a GEN bulb as shown in the diagram.
6) Spin up the alternator to about 3k to 5k RPM; you should measure 16V at D+/DF to ground and B+ to ground.
7) The voltages between D+/DF and B+ should be within one volt of each other.

This will give a good indication of alternator health.
bbrock
QUOTE(Spoke @ Oct 30 2020, 06:29 AM) *

Pretty much the only component which can be isolated is the armature. The diodes and stator windings cannot be isolated to be tested separately.

Assume you mean with the unit assembled. The factory manual DOES have bench testing procedures for individual components using an alternator tester but you have to have the unit opened up to do it.

Thanks for that diagram! I could have used that when I rebuilt mine.
goobstine
QUOTE(Spoke @ Oct 30 2020, 07:29 AM) *

In the diagram below, the main components of the alternator are shown. There's 9 diodes, 3 stator windings, and an armature. Pretty much the only component which can be isolated is the armature. The diodes and stator windings cannot be isolated to be tested separately.

If you want to do a bench test, then you have to set up a fixture to spin the alternator while checking voltages and the current capability of the alternator.

The diagram below can be used to do a bench test. Here's what you need to do to do a bench test:

3) Use the original wire harness to the voltage regulator connected to the alternator.
6) Spin up the alternator to about 3k to 5k RPM; you should measure 16V at D+/DF to ground and B+ to ground.

Understood ! Now that's what i am talking about ! Thank you !!!
goobstine
QUOTE(bbrock @ Oct 28 2020, 06:01 PM) *

Yes , I have not had success with the alternator shops as well. My part came back tested good. 72 amp . I put it in my engine while i was building. It worked ! for a few minutes. I am not the best at electrical I mostly manage with a test light. My method has to change on this !!! I usually test them in the car and pull the ground or positive. generators i have always spun out of car with an impact wrench and volt meter. I had about half the information i needed from you tube and some more from a friend who was ratteling it off the left side of brain after i asked. Information is the key to everything. thank you
goobstine
QUOTE(bbrock @ Oct 30 2020, 09:32 AM) *

QUOTE(Spoke @ Oct 30 2020, 06:29 AM) *

Pretty much the only component which can be isolated is the armature. The diodes and stator windings cannot be isolated to be tested separately.

Assume you mean with the unit assembled. The factory manual DOES have bench testing procedures for individual components using an alternator tester but you have to have the unit opened up to do it.

Thanks for that diagram! I could have used that when I rebuilt mine.

thank you
goobstine
QUOTE(Spoke @ Oct 30 2020, 07:29 AM) *

Thank you for posting this for me. I will try togive an update after i do some tests.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.