Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need Help - 914/6 Project on Ebay
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PaulFV8
Hello Forum, I am new to the 914 world and need some help from our experienced members. These are photos of the orange 914/6 project that is on ebay, before I drive seven hours to look at it or ask for more photos what are your thoughts on these areas. There are what appear to be "patch plates" on each side in the engine bay, what is this? Poor repairs? Also the front looks damaged, rust, filler?

thanks for your help
roblav1
I looked at that and decided not to touch it. Just the overspray on other parts makes me think it wssn't painted properly... which would then require paint removsl... then who knows what's undernesth!
iankarr
welcome.png

Hmmm. Others may have more insight on the metal patches, but, to me, 14.5K for a 10 year old painted shell with a disassembled motor seems steep. There are too many unknowns. Definitely ask for more pics...ideally shots of the car before the "stiffening" and paint was done. Also a few other things I'd want to know...

– Did the seller have a complete, running car before it was stripped down? If so, are all parts catalogued and organized? I'd want to see pics of those to determine the condition of stuff. You don't want to be putting beat up parts on a fresh car.

– Did the -6 engine run before disassembly? Has any machine work or inspection been done to verify the integrity of the case, crank, etc.?

– Is there a title in the seller's name?

I'm in the middle of a roller project now and it's very different than restoring a complete, running car. The amount of little stuff that needs to be tracked down is staggering.

You're in the right place for help! Welcome....
mb911
Umm thats not a real six or even a -6 at this time.. No cut outs for the oil tank and a stand off for 4cyl blower motor. Just wanted to clarify.
Cairo94507
I agree with Ben. Ask for the VIN number before you go any further. Aside from the metal plates.....the welds look like poop. The front nose has issues and it looks like they just mudded over the rust/damage. If it's a real 914-6, the VIN will begin with 914 if not, and it starts with a 4, then you will know definitively what you are looking at. I could not locate the eBay ad, so sorry I could only see what is posted here. welcome.png beerchug.gif
mb911
Oops completly missed its a 75-76 914 with bubs.. So no six for sure
PaulFV8
thanks to all for the quick responses, it is not a "6" just a project. the ebay post lists it as a 75, link posted below, I'm not a welder, but I know what good welding looks like and this isn't. What are these plates for? Are they on a 75 914? They say the 2.7 was running when the got it but nothing has been checked by a machine shop. I asked for more photos but I'm not sure it's a good buy at half the asking price.

thanks again to all for your time

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1975-Porsche-914-g...RfcgEY#viTabs_0
mb911
Those plates look like it had a different engine in it? Maybe those were mounting points.. It doesn't look terrible.. I would think its likely worth half the price
infraredcalvin
Base plates for bolt in cage tie was my first thought , but there in odd location for a cage base.
mb911
QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Oct 29 2020, 02:28 PM) *

Base plates for bolt in cage tie was my first thought , but there in odd location for a cage base.

Good point. Very likely
mepstein
QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Oct 29 2020, 06:28 PM) *

My suby car has a plate welded in a similar spot from an old cage.

I haven’t looked through the ad but the price is triple what I would pay.
rhodyguy
Spend the other 10k now and buy a car that you can drive and needs little or nothing.
Tdskip
Yikes - if you have to hire a shop to put this back together / right you are going to vaporize $20-30K in a heartbeat and that assumes the shell doesn't have other issues.
914Sixer
Pass on it
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Oct 29 2020, 07:04 PM) *

Pass on it

agree.gif

Looks risky.
gms
the front panel is from a 1975-76 car. the front fender has the clip for the 1975-76 bumper cover

Click to view attachment
bahnzai
Also wondered if the flairs are steel or fiberglass, and more detail pictures from the underside of the fenders on the installation and position.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
not a bad buy if you consider it as a bunch of parts, but no way that anyone needs to get into a six conversion with this one, Not a great car to start, and too much money woudl have to be spent to complete a six conversion. This car is best to reassemble as a four cylinder flared car and then sell the fuchs wheels and the six cylinder engine
Tdskip
Rebuilding a 2.7 properly is not cheap, it is easy to end up with over $6k in just machining costs.
IronHillRestorations
It's a no from me dog smile.gif That car was hacked together, there's no telling what you'll find under the paint.
Kahi
we just brought a 914 for 3000 running alittle rough but we wanted a project ???
Might want to shop some more , At That price you could buy the ones on craigslist California and ship it to you for 10.000 ??? But IDK drunk.gif
PaulFV8
Thanks again for all your responses. I have stepped away from this one. I did ask for more pictures and details on the parts. The seller said he had more pics but eBay wouldn’t let him load them. (??). If it was an hour away might have gone to look but not seven hours each way

Thanks Stay Safe
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.