Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: MPS modification?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914sgofast2
I bought a used MPS off a wrecked 2.0 at Pick and Pull last year and just got around to checking the part numbers on it. Turns out it is an MPS for a VW Type 3 (Squareback) from 1969-70. Is there anyway this MPS can be rebuilt (using a kit from Tangerine Racing or someone else) so it will work with the 2056 engine I am building. I need/want to keep the engine’s D-jet fuel injection. And yes, I am aware that any rebuilt MPS will need to be set up and tuned to work with a 2056.
brant
I'm not familiar with the specifications for a type 3

the 1.7 MPS from a 914 needs to have an extension ring installed in it to create the depth and flow characteristics of a 2.0MPS

at a minimum, I would think you would need the spacer ring from a 2.0 to make it work

I might have one in my spares if you proceed.
others on here that have more experience tuning with the meter will likely know more than me.

I've only tuned for 2.0's and only with AFR
brant
914_teener
QUOTE(914sgofast2 @ Oct 30 2020, 10:11 AM) *

I bought a used MPS off a wrecked 2.0 at Pick and Pull last year and just got around to checking the part numbers on it. Turns out it is an MPS for a VW Type 3 (Squareback) from 1969-70. Is there anyway this MPS can be rebuilt (using a kit from Tangerine Racing or someone else) so it will work with the 2056 engine I am building. I need/want to keep the engine’s D-jet fuel injection. And yes, I am aware that any rebuilt MPS will need to be set up and tuned to work with a 2056.

Sometimes the shunt length of the MPS could be different. I'm sure someone here might have a core you could use.

I'd get a core that part No. confirms your displacement....send out a feeler to Jeff Bowlsby.
914Sixer
Check with Jeff Bowelsby, he may have some parts that might help.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(brant @ Oct 30 2020, 01:16 PM) *

I'm not familiar with the specifications for a type 3

the 1.7 MPS from a 914 needs to have an extension ring installed in it to create the depth and flow characteristics of a 2.0MPS

at a minimum, I would think you would need the spacer ring from a 2.0 to make it work

I might have one in my spares if you proceed.
others on here that have more experience tuning with the meter will likely know more than me.

I've only tuned for 2.0's and only with AFR
brant

I have new 2 liter spacer rings.

Best way to set this up is rebuild the MPS with one of my kits and add the tuning option. Then install WBO2 in the exhaust for air/fuel measurement and adjust to best mixture in operation.

It will be necessary to trim the inside of the 1.7L MPS cover where there's a ring which extends further than the full load stop setting of a 2L MPS.
bdstone914
@ChrisFoley

Best way to set this up is rebuild the MPS with one of my kits and add the tuning option. Then install WBO2 in the exhaust for air/fuel measurement and adjust to best mixture in operation.

It will be necessary to trim the inside of the 1.7L MPS cover where there's a ring which extends further than the full load stop setting of a 2L MPS.
[/quote]

Chris,
Just to be clear the type III MAP sensor can be modified to work on a 2.0L type IV?
Would it be less work and less cost to start with a type IV MPS?
Bleyseng
QUOTE(914sgofast2 @ Oct 30 2020, 10:11 AM) *

Depends on what cam you are using. If you are staying with a stock cam then a stock 2.0L MPS will work fine (043). If you are using a different cam then yes, you will have to tune it using a wide band O2 setup. I'd post a ad in the want section for a blown 043 MPS to start with that to rebuild as it comes with the spacer ring and a cover without that raised ring limited.
JeffBowlsby
The TIII MPS is a different animal and not compatible with our TIV fuel injection. It has no diaphragm.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.