Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FS: GT gauge set
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
Retroracer
The pair of gauges offered here feature year-matched casings (1971), and matching freshly painted bezels, forming a solid basis for an authentic looking, period correct Porsche factory 914-6 GT dash with refreshed modern internals:

Item 1 - SOLD) The oil temp/pressure gauge shown is a silver dot unit, from 1971. The fascia has been overlaid with the correct lettering to emulate the 911.641.103.00 units fitted to racing and special build vehicles like the 914/6 GT, 911 S/T and others. Note the "oel" "druck" spelling as per originals. The scale markings on the meters are also replaced with German-sourced items that have the period correct Celsius and Bar markings.

The unit can be used with the typical standard early 911 senders, without modification. The bezel rings were sanded down & refinished, the glass cleaned and the casing restored sparingly, preserving any date stamps and “test” markings where possible. Meter movements were inspected & cleaned, needles repainted and are tested and working.

Note: Oil gauge is SOLD, tachs are still available

Item 2) This 10K tachometer is a replica based on a “silver dot” VDO Porsche 914 donor. 1971 casing. It is modified to emulate the Porsche racing items that were fitted to racing and special build vehicles like the 914/6 GT, 911 S/T and others by the factory. While retaining the casing and some of the original components, the near-50 year old VDO mechanism is removed and replaced with a modern Bosch tachometer core, allowing steady RPM indication, operation up to 10,000 rpm, plus well controlled transient behavior of the iconic VDO silver dot indicator needle.

The original 10K VDO tachs (901.741.302.06) were intentionally designed with no red line area on the fascia, presumably to allow a suitable value to be quickly marked up with tape by the mechanics before the event, based on the particular engine build and gear ratios, etc. The replica uses a German-sourced high quality fascia, with correct lettering and window cutouts for L/R indicators and high beam.

The unit is designed and tested to be used with six-cylinder engines, and accepts a wide range of tach inputs (3- or 6-pin Bosch CDI, MSD, etc). The bezel rings were sanded down & refinished, the glass cleaned and the casing restored sparingly, preserving any date stamps and “test” markings where possible.

Pricing (include shipping to CONUS):

10K tach - $550
Oel temp/druck - $250
Both units - $700

Or, make me an offer.

- Tony

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
nditiz1
Hey Tony,

Interested in the oil gauge. Is there any type of trade in? I have a silver dot gauge, but don't have the GT specific markings.
Retroracer
QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Oct 30 2020, 03:04 PM) *

Hey Tony,

Interested in the oil gauge. Is there any type of trade in? I have a silver dot gauge, but don't have the GT specific markings.

@nditiz1 so am not open to core trades at this point - sorry. I have more cores than I need right now,

- Tony
pete000
Very Nice, I had no luck getting a 10K tach built by NHS despite numerous changes by them. Not sure what was up, started out reading way to high by 2K rpm, they did a change then it would not work at all sold it to a 911 guy and he had no troubles. My car is a stock six, I think it might have MSD stuff going on in the stock distributer though, did not have time to trouble shoot, just put the stock tach back in.

Any suggestions?
Retroracer
QUOTE(pete000 @ Oct 30 2020, 10:28 PM) *

Very Nice, I had no luck getting a 10K tach built by NHS despite numerous changes by them. Not sure what was up, started out reading way to high by 2K rpm, they did a change then it would not work at all sold it to a 911 guy and he had no troubles. My car is a stock six, I think it might have MSD stuff going on in the stock distributer though, did not have time to trouble shoot, just put the stock tach back in.

Any suggestions?

My suggestion would be to buy one of my tachs biggrin.gif

But seriously: Over the years Porsche made fundamental changes to their 6 cylinder ignition systems and the associated support components (including the tach operation):
- Traditional points + coil
- then CDI (with no dedicated tach feed)
- then CDI (6-pin) with tach feed

And those changes all in just over a decade or so! Layered on this are variations from later aftermarket innovations - Multiple spark discharge units, optical senders, etc., which may or may not be added in your case. My point being, you do need some level of understanding of what type of system you have in order to match a particular tach to it.

On the plus side, modern tachs (like the Bosch 790x cores I use) are a) much more forgiving and "universal" in accepting and correctly interpreting tach pulses, and b) if you do happen to have a recalcitrant ignition system set up (obtaining a decent tach signal from a 3-pin Bosch CDI for example), then there are some known components and aftermarket options (Tach-adapt and similar) that can get you accurate readings.

Hope this helps!

- Tony
Retroracer
Oil gauge now SOLD.

I still have several 10K tachs FOR SALE with various date codes on the casings - 1969 to 1973 (but no '72)

- Tony
Retroracer
Bump. Also some gratuitous inspirational shots taken at Laguna Seca a while ago:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

- Tony

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.