Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Newbie rust question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
zprovo
Hello!

I am new to the world of 914s. I was looking at a car on sunday that had good longs, the hellhole looked good, floors looked good (the interior is pulled out). All the exterior sheetmetal is nice and straight. Then I popped the hood to the "frunk". There was a big hole in what I would call the passenger side firewall...what is this called in a mid engine car?

Picture for reference below

I think this is the area where the windshield washer bottle would usually reside. There are a few smaller holes under where the gas tank should be and the pedal box is pretty rusty. Apparently mice had taken up residence, chewed up the wiring and created a bunch of rust while relieving themselves.

How scared should I be of this car? It's been sitting for 31 years, I can handle the myriad of mechanical and electrical issues this car will have, but I will probably need to sub out the rust work.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Click to view attachment

I don't know why I can't get this to load with the correct orientation... that is the hood spring on the lower left for reference and passenger door beyond.
Tdskip
First of all - welcome!

That is going to be non-trivial to repair. Looks like something was cut for an accessory - one of the curves is neat and clearly not rust caused. My guess is it was cut and not properly protected and then rust took hold. You really need to understand how far that rust extends.

Unless it is really inexpensive it might be better to start with a car without that issue.
mepstein
welcome.png

Tip of the iceberg
brcacti
welcome.png

Is the car selling VERY cheap?
brant
my first impression is "scary"

I'd take a magnet to the longs, (pull the rockers)
might be worth finding a different one.
zprovo
Thank you all for the guidance!
My brain said to walk away...then the devil started whispering in my ear that maybe it would be ok...

Costa05
I would look closer at the pedal cluster. Mine was rusted solid and the base sheet metal was completely rusted through. Not an easy repair. Very spendy unless you know fabrication and can weld.
cary
Urine damage from rat of mice nest.................. BTDT
Taylor Whitesell's car (914 Rubber)
Mikey914
First of all welcome welcome.png
Here’s the thread of the experience we had from our experience.
The key is what’s under the tank. Give this thread a good look.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...r+thanks+to+Wes
wes
QUOTE(cary @ Oct 30 2020, 07:05 PM) *

Urine damage from rat of mice nest.................. BTDT
Taylor Whitesell's car (914 Rubber)

I believe that was the Parts car I gave away! First Hint, Terrible smell. After taking the gas tank out pulled out Enough rat piss stained rib bones to nearly Fill a 5 gallon bucket.
Gint
That's disgusting. icon8.gif

I would pass on that. And welcome.png @zprovo

If you're close enough, I'd ask Perry Kiehl @IronHillrestorations if you could visit.
mlindner
zprovo, do you have pictures of the rest of the car. Mark
Cairo94507
welcome.png Welcome to the madness. All of these cars are going to have some rust that needs repairing. The trick is to find one with as little rust as possible. Several have already said it, but get a magnet and check the remainder of the car for covered up rust. What are they asking for that car? Free? Then maybe not bad given you would at least have to replace that panel. But that would be a pain in the rear replacement job. beerchug.gif
IronHillRestorations
Find a better chassis. Thanks for the referral @Gint but I'm not taking any work until I get moved to east TN and build a shop
dr914@autoatlanta.com
amazing what rat urine can do, there was once a very low mile six out there years ago that had the same damage, car was original paint and excellent except for that same area, rusted through! If that is the only rust it is a fairly easy repair, and the parts are readily available Rodents are very evil to a 914. Once we had to cut open a virgin longitudinal to find the smelly rotted rats and their nest. (reminded me of the urban legend about the very cheaply priced low mile corvette that would never sell because someone had died in and they could never get the smell out of it)
zprovo
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Oct 31 2020, 06:59 PM) *

First of all welcome welcome.png
Here’s the thread of the experience we had from our experience.
The key is what’s under the tank. Give this thread a good look.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...r+thanks+to+Wes

Whoa! Yea...I don't have the skillset, space, time, childcare, or balls to tackle a project like that! I am impressed sir!
zprovo
Here is a link to the ad. You will notice the huge hole is not represented...

914 Facebook ad
rjames
It's all fixable, but with the additional rust that can be seen on the engine components you'll have a lot more work to do than just the rust on the body of the car. Given what you'll need to spend to get this car back on the road you're probably better off spending it on a car that's in better shape and currently running.
zprovo
Thank you all for the input. I'm sure I'll be back. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.