Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: front coilovers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
FastFred
HI everybody i'm new here I'm trying to find out what spring rate to use with front coil overs I'm building a street car so I don't want too harsh of a ride.
Thanks for the help
mepstein
Then why not stick with the stock torsion bars.

welcome.png
FastFred
Looking for adjustability and I’m not a fan of torsion bars
Front yard mechanic
Look at elephant racing web site. It's easy to spend more than I paid for my car driving-girl.gif
mepstein
You will also have to reinforce the strut mount on the chassis.
brant
Torsion bars are also adjustable
roblav1
Why would you ever put coilovers on a street 914??? Torsion bars are springs! On 914, you can easily adjust front ride height without changing spring rate. With coilovers, spring length, rate, and adustment now become variables. Feel free to spend your own money to complicate things and likely make the handling worse.
jonferns
QUOTE(FastFred @ Oct 31 2020, 07:30 AM) *

Curious as to why?
davep
QUOTE(FastFred @ Oct 31 2020, 08:30 AM) *

A spring is just a torsion bar that is curled up; the essential function is the same.
porschetub
QUOTE(roblav1 @ Nov 1 2020, 04:42 AM) *

Why would you ever put coilovers on a street 914??? Torsion bars are springs! On 914, you can easily adjust front ride height without changing spring rate. With coilovers, spring length, rate, and adustment now become variables. Feel free to spend your own money to complicate things and likely make the handling worse.

agree.gif basically a lot of work $$$$ to get what the stock setup already has from the start.
The right set of front inserts and the rest all working properly is pretty hard to beat.
phillstek
QUOTE(FastFred @ Oct 31 2020, 10:26 PM) *

HI everybody i'm new here I'm trying to find out what spring rate to use with front coil overs I'm building a street car so I don't want too harsh of a ride.
Thanks for the help

Despite what others say, it’s your car so if you want coil overs then I say, why not? I have them on my car and don’t regret putting them on. My car is significantly lowered and prior to installing them bump steer was so bad that the steering wheel was almost getting torn from my hands mid corner if the road surface deviated at all. Coil overs and raised spindles solved it and the car handles beautifully now.

I have Level 3 struts and solid camber plates and have not reinforced the top mounts and after 20,000 miles of driving on Australian roads there’s no sign of any stress in that area at all. Roads here could accurately be described as goat tracks and the car gets hammered.

I built the car to do tarmac rallies and track work as well as street driving so chose Level 3 but Level 2 would probably have been a better choice as most of the time I drive on the street. The solid mounts are noisy when hitting lane markers too but you get used to it.

Mueller
QUOTE(phillstek @ Oct 31 2020, 02:24 PM) *

Thanks for the help

Despite what others say, it’s your car so if you want coil overs then I say, why not? I have them on my car and don’t regret putting them on. My car is significantly lowered and prior to installing them bump steer was so bad that the steering wheel was almost getting torn from my hands mid corner if the road surface deviated at all. Coil overs and raised spindles solved it and the car handles beautifully now.

I have Level 3 struts and solid camber plates and have not reinforced the top mounts and after 20,000 miles of driving on Australian roads there’s no sign of any stress in that area at all. Roads here could accurately be described as goat tracks and the car gets hammered.

I built the car to do tarmac rallies and track work as well as street driving so chose Level 3 but Level 2 would probably have been a better choice as most of the time I drive on the street. The solid mounts are noisy when hitting lane markers too but you get used to it.

Level 3? That means nothing to anyone here. Are there number assigned to different Levels?

Your bump steer problem had nothing to do with having torsion bars.

That being said, the most common rear springs used are in the 100lb to 140lb range so I would think going close to the same up front would work.

Luckily coil springs are fairly inexpensive and can be easily found on the used market if you want to experiment with different rates. Just remember after a certain point your shocks will not be adequate to deal with the heavier rate springs so you will need to revalve yours or step up to more pricey inserts/shocks.
Gint
QUOTE(phillstek @ Oct 31 2020, 02:24 PM) *
Thanks for the help

Quite likely your bump steer was solved by the raised spindles. Torsion bar or coil spring doesn't matter when you lower the car far enough.

FastFred - Not sure.
porschetub
QUOTE(phillstek @ Nov 1 2020, 10:24 AM) *

Thanks for the help

Pretty sure the OP is after street performance ,solid mounts have no place on the street car they are just a PINA,no compliance and noisy,ask me how.....

tygaboy
I'm betting the "Level 3" is in reference to Elephant Racing's various options based on target driving environment.
phillstek
From Elephant Racing’s 914 page explains level 3:Click to view attachment
And of course I realise it’s the raised spindles that solved the bump steer issues.

And as far as the camber plates ‘having no place on a street car’ is concerned that’s a matter of opinion and like assholes ...everyone has one.
Gint
I meant no offense.
phillstek
QUOTE(Gint @ Nov 1 2020, 12:56 PM) *

I meant no offense.

None taken, brother beerchug.gif
FastFred
There is a real learning curve here I always trying to find out all I can. I have bilstein b6 front and rear I have no idea what level they are? I bet when I get this thing built I will know all the things I should have done.
Thanks for all the help
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.