Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Malibu Run:
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
914_7T3
Looking to head out with a group of SoCal teeners in the Canyons of Malibu on Saturday 11/28.

We can meetup for coffee, take a few hours for a drive and plan a stop for lunch. Just chime in if you are interested and I'll plan a teener appropriate route.

It would be great if we could get the OC & San Diego guys up to enjoy the roads out this way. driving.gif

Route Information can be found in post #19

Confirmed

@914_7T3
@jim_hoyland
@MM1
@second_wind
@Tonyooc
@campbellcj
@Robarabian
@ValcoOscar
@914Toy
@Drem914
@Steve
@Coondog
@mxkinn01
@Mike D.
@ 914 RZ-1

Maybe

@DANNYMAC

---
WARNING: Too many @ tags!
---
jim_hoyland
I'll come up. Used to live at Zuma Beach during the Summers and loved driving the canyon roads.
Coondog
If I get back on time from Carmel, I would be in. Is there a Malibu Cars and Coffee event on Saturdays.
MM1
Don’t have a driving 914 yet, but I’d love to drive with ya’ll like last time-in the ol’ slingshot.
second wind
I am in!!
gg
MM1
I would highly recommend driving up Deer Creek to see Boney Mountain’s most majestic view this time-way more fun than sitting in line at Neptune’s Net for way too long [especially for what you get imho). If only we could have some proper boiled seafood - New Orleans style - now that would be worth the drive from OC and the wait!

I bet if you sat on a super curvy road in front of Boney and wolfed down that crumpled pb&j you dashed together @ 5am and then ripped down Little Sycamore Canyon Rd. . .it’d be one of the best lunch drives you’ve ever had!
euro911
Hmmm ... idea.gif

popcorn[1].gif
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Coondog @ Nov 1 2020, 05:05 PM) *

If I get back on time from Carmel, I would be in. Is there a Malibu Cars and Coffee event on Saturdays.

Possibly at Trancas, located at the west end of Zuma Beach. There's a Starbucks and plenty of parking. Could be a good place to meet up ?
MM1
Vintage Grocers at Trancas has a deli - haven't been there since the fire (when it was Trancas Market) - I can recon necessary.
914_7T3

@Coondog

The big one is on Sundays at Cross Creek. However, we will be the cars and coffee whenever we roll up. driving.gif

914_7T3
QUOTE(MM1 @ Nov 2 2020, 07:57 AM) *

Vintage Grocers at Trancas has a deli - haven't been there since the fire (when it was Trancas Market) - I can recon necessary.

@MM1 I was there week before last with @robarabian and it's open with bathrooms so that could be a good lunch option. Great coffee bar too. beer3.gif

As for routes, I'll give you a call and we can come up with something for sure.
MM1
QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Nov 2 2020, 02:02 PM) *

@Coondog

The big one is on Sundays at Cross Creek. However, we will be the cars and coffee whenever we roll up. driving.gif

Well said!
MM1
QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Nov 2 2020, 02:04 PM) *

QUOTE(MM1 @ Nov 2 2020, 07:57 AM) *

@MM1 I was there week before last with @robarabian and it's open with bathrooms so that could be a good lunch option. Great coffee bar too. beer3.gif

As for routes, I'll give you a call and we can come up with something for sure.

Sounds great! Call me anytime, as always.
Tonyooc
I should be able to go. I will let you know for sure as date gets closer.
Robarabian
I'm in.. either the Teener or the Cayman...
DANNYMAC
QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Nov 1 2020, 04:57 PM) *

Looking to head out with a group of SoCal teeners in the Canyons of Malibu on Saturday 11/28.

We can meetup for coffee, take a few hours for a drive and plan a stop for lunch. Just chime in if you are interested and I'll plan a teener appropriate route.

It would be great if we could get the OC & San Diego guys up to enjoy the roads out this way. driving.gif

Possibly, we'll see how it goes @WCR day after tomorrow...
campbellcj
I can hopefully tag along as well. Definitely be aware there are lots of cops, cyclists and "Sunday drivers" all around Malibu on weekends - best to do any canyon carving early AM.
MM1
The Snake was ruined over a decade ago - tv shows accelerated that demise . . .Tuna Canyon, Stunt, etc. have more traffic too, but the roads around Boney (Western edge of the Santa Monica Mtn. range) are generally still very low traffic except for the hikers (still have never seen patrols there) . . .although the last time I drove up there (Covid-summer, ) there were a few trains of wannabe racers and beach-goers flaunting the parking restrictions by jamming up the bottom of Deer Creek . . . and, tragically, semi-blazing their GT3's and M's up to Mipolomol Rd. (luckily, they looked a bit scared and lost 'cause it's quite steep at the beginning) . . .deeply depressing, as that area is the last bastion of scenic, curvy freedom . . .still, chances are good that it'll be tight, twisty and great . . . after 20 years of driving these hills, I still believe it's the most beautiful (secluded) drive in all that range.
914_7T3
Alright Teeners, had the chance to speak with @MM1 and loved his route ideas.

We have come up with the following route starting in Santa Monica so it's a little closer for the OC guys. We will caravan up PCH to Latigo Canyon and then cut across above Mulholland Hwy to Boney Peak and down to Deer Creek before heading to Trancas for late breakfast/early lunch. Total distance is 57 miles and should take 1 hr. and 55 mins.

After food stop, we can head back up through the canyons (Piuma, Stunt, Scheuren) to Woodland Hills or just drive PCH back to Santa Monica.

Meetup spot is Lot 11 on Hollister Ave. in Santa Monica at 7:45am. Please fuel up prior to arrival.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Lot+11/@3...;4d-118.4861685

Also remember to "Mask Up" and remain socially distant as a courtesy to everyone in attendence. driving.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Looking forward to a great day!
ValcoOscar
headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif
Cutting into my valuable weekend Chucky reassembly time but

I'M IN beerchug.gif

After this drive I'm out sad.gif until Chucky is back on the road.

MM1
Yea, Oscar!

I'm guessing Chucky will be grumpy about it for a bit, but I bet he comes around soon . . .he may even be chomping at the bit to see Boney Mountain on the next run after you tell him how much fun you had. . .

driving.gif
914_7T3
Drove PCH today and scouted only the coastal portion of the route. driving.gif

Stopped in at Vintage Grocers and can report that the Chicken Havarti Sandwich was pretty tasty. chowtime.gif

Click to view attachment

Parked next to a super cool and all original 1968 Myers Manx with a built 1,833cc!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
914Toy
I'm in.
drem914
Sounds like fun, we'll have to set up an OC/SD meet up for earlier in the morning. Maybe at Ayer's Hotel in Seal Beach as a local gathering point before a run up the 405N to the 10W at around 7 AM?
914Toy
QUOTE(drem914 @ Nov 16 2020, 08:34 AM) *

Sounds like fun, we'll have to set up an OC/SD meet up for earlier in the morning. Maybe at Ayer's Hotel in Seal Beach as a local gathering point before a run up the 405N to the 10W at around 7 AM?

Works for me.
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(914Toy @ Nov 16 2020, 08:40 AM) *

Works for me.

Ayer's Hotel meet up that morning works for me as well....

Let's just confirm time?

red914.jpg silver914.jpg blue914.jpg ravenna914.jpg irish914.jpg
drem914
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Nov 16 2020, 08:50 AM) *

Works for me.

Let's just confirm time?

7AM departure from Ayers, Seal Beach work for everyone?
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(drem914 @ Nov 16 2020, 09:20 AM) *

Works for me.

Let's just confirm time?

14.gif
drem914
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
914_7T3
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Nov 16 2020, 09:28 AM) *

Works for me.

Let's just confirm time?

14.gif

We will meet at 7:45am in parking Lot #11 behind Main St. off of Hollister. We can hang until 8:30am at latest before starting the drive.

Map coordinates here:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Lot+11/@3...;4d-118.4861685

There is also coffee available at Urth Cafe across the St.
914Toy

Works for me.

Let's just confirm time?

Good for me, thanks.
Steve
QUOTE(914Toy @ Nov 16 2020, 12:43 PM) *

Works for me.

Let's just confirm time?

Good for me, thanks.

Works for me!!
914_7T3
Here is the first glimpse of the 10 day forecast! Looking good!

Click to view attachment
FlacaProductions
Since my 914 isn't in CA, I may meet you guys in Santa Monica before you take off from there - we'll see.
914_7T3
QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Nov 19 2020, 03:02 PM) *

Since my 914 isn't in CA, I may meet you guys in Santa Monica before you take off from there - we'll see.

@FlacaProductions Get a Cayman 718 rental for the day and join us...... driving.gif
LS1V8Jerry
Looks like a good time but I’m out of town on vacation....

Be safe and enjoy the the drive!!
MM1
QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Nov 19 2020, 10:46 PM) *

QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Nov 19 2020, 03:02 PM) *

@FlacaProductions Get a Cayman 718 rental for the day and join us...... driving.gif

Better still - rent this before I do (getting desperate to experience a proper 914 drive up to Boney Mtn. just a few months before mine is running) . . .

Click to view attachment

I wonder if Daniel is on 914 World . . .

Click to view attachment

of course, 1 day's rental would be nearly 1/10th of what I paid for the ol' project . . .there's a front swaybar . . .talk me outta this fellas . . . chair.gif headbang.gif
FlacaProductions
Great idea, folks but @MM1 - that rental is all yours - DO IT!
914_7T3
popcorn[1].gif
Coondog
Washed, gassed up and ready to go. Will be meeting everyone in Santa Monica..... driving.gif
914_7T3

Route Maps and Meetup location can be found in Post #19

Click to view attachment
Coondog
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Los Angeles County is shutting down dining at restaurants, breweries, wineries and bars for at least three weeks starting Wednesday amid a surge in coronavirus cases, health officials announced Sunday.

The establishments will only be able to offer takeout, drive-thru and delivery services, and the restrictions will take effect Wednesday at 10 p.m.

Bring your chairs, we will make our own outside dining.
mxkinn01
Hey Guys,
I need to get out of town and see more 914s.
How locked down will it be on the Malibu run? (sounds like a good time). We start our Nevada statewide mandate Tuesday morning, most places will be at 25% capacity.
Don't want to trailer down from Vegas and not be able to do anything.
Coondog
QUOTE(mxkinn01 @ Nov 23 2020, 04:02 PM) *

Hey Guys,
How locked down will it be on the Malibu run? (sounds like a good time). We start our Nevada statewide mandate Tuesday morning, most places will be at 25% capacity.

I wouldn’t worry about it, bring some chairs. We can picnic anywhere. No ones enforcing the order, it’s just the restaurants that are the real losers with no outside dining, but that’s LA County only. Orange and Ventura Counties are a short drive and as of today no outside dining restrictions.
MM1
Worst case-bring your turkey sandwich and we’ll stretch out our legs and gaze upon Boney Mtn!

Click to view attachment

Guaranteed to be less burnt than 12-2018:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
914_7T3
Vintage Grocers will be open on Saturday for take out and has prepared food & sandwiches. There is also a grassy area adjacent to the other shops in front of Kristy's Kitchen where we can eat and enjoy.

I think we are only 12 people so none of this should be an issue if proper social distancing and mask protocol is respected. Please do your part.

Click to view attachment

drem914
QUOTE(Coondog @ Nov 22 2020, 05:18 PM) *

LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Los Angeles County is shutting down dining at restaurants, breweries, wineries and bars for at least three weeks starting Wednesday amid a surge in coronavirus cases, health officials announced Sunday.

The establishments will only be able to offer takeout, drive-thru and delivery services, and the restrictions will take effect Wednesday at 10 p.m.

Bring your chairs, we will make our own outside dining.

Already have space for the cooler, the chairs are in the back and will filler up on Friday.
Oh and by the way, LA Co. Health Dept. are idiots.....
drem914
QUOTE(Coondog @ Nov 23 2020, 04:32 PM) *

QUOTE(mxkinn01 @ Nov 23 2020, 04:02 PM) *

Hey Guys,

I wouldn’t worry about it, bring some chairs. We can picnic anywhere. No ones enforcing the order, it’s just the restaurants that are the real losers with no outside dining, but that’s LA County only. Orange and Ventura Counties are a short drive and as of today no outside dining restrictions.

At least one of the two sheriffs have already said they will not be enforcing the lockdown. They have more important things to do than kill off another 700,000 jobs.
914_7T3
Its all about the drive and enjoying the day driving.gif
mxkinn01
Room booked. We'll see you guys at the Ayer's Hotel in Seal Beach before 7am on the 28th.
Thanks Mike
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.