Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sportomatic Transmission on Ebay
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Matty900
Found this on EBAY for $12,000 blink.gif
https://www.ebay.com/itm/392687882466
"New Old Stock" is what NOS is supposed to mean this is clearly not that, so what did it come from?
Looks like the 2nd one made and there were only about 5 made right?
Gustl
I don't know what kind of unicorn this is, but it's definitely not for a 914-6 Sportomatic
the transmission type for the 914-6 Sporto should be 914/05 and the number should be 760000x for 1970 or 761000x for 1971
I used to own the very last factory built 914-6 Sportomatic and the transmission number was 7610027

Porsche used the Sportomatic with the 911 from 1968 up to 1979/80 so I guess that's a later 911 transmission
sixnotfour
shipping $550, ground strap ?? like a 911
IronHillRestorations
I have an engine harness for that smile.gif
Andyrew
I wonder what it would take to make kits of those. Ive heard of the design but this just looks interesting when you see it on the transmission.
GregAmy
I dunno why people wax elequently about these. They are dreadful to drive.

Let 'em die. Put one or two in a museum so we learn what NOT to do and let the others rust in peace.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Nov 2 2020, 07:55 AM) *

I have an engine harness for that smile.gif

We should pool resources.
I have the correct engine tin for a 6cyl sporto.
And the throttle pull rod too .....somewhere.
mepstein
I have the oil tank
GregAmy
I have the oil tank

Why do you people have parts for these things...?

Don't you revive one of those in 2020, Ricky Bobby! Don't you put that evil on us!
bretth
Why is there so many giant cast holes in the bell housing area? Did these things run hot? Openings for rodent nests?
ClayPerrine
Looks to me like somebody bolted a 914-6 tail cone on a 911 sporto trans. The condition of the magnesium is not the same between them.

Maybe somebody found that 911 sporto transmissions are really worth anything, so they "converted" it to a 914-6 sporto.

You would probably put it in your car and find that you have 4 reverse gears and 1 forward. lol-2.gif

It is also missing the torque converter and the flex plate.

IronHillRestorations
I seem to remember that there's a gear in the Sporto that's good for racing
rgalla9146
QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Nov 2 2020, 02:29 PM) *

I seem to remember that there's a gear in the Sporto that's good for racing

Clay I heard the same thing ! but I'm sorry to say I cannot fill in the blank.
GregAmy
Could be the one I have in my racer, the 6:29 4.83 versus the stock 7:31 4.43

But that final drive must come from somewhere else; there's no way there's that many of them hanging around (and that I would actually have one) just because of six Sporto transaxles...
Montreal914
I have a 7:27 R&P from a late Sporto 911 that I have been thinking of installing in a gearbox instead of the standard 7:31 while using A-F-M-S-X gears configuration. This would give me a nice close ratio box, while keeping decent highway revs... But that is a separate topic... biggrin.gif

Please carry on with the Sporto 914 discussion. Personally, I don't see any appeal with a 914 or 911 Sportomatic as it defeats the purpose... wacko.gif
73-914
my Mother had a Autostick Beetle back in mid 70's. those were 3 speed transaxle
oldie914
I have parted out 3 or 4 sportomatics and found that the R&P sets would not fit a 901 type transmission. The only usable parts were gear sets.
Montreal914
@oldie914 I was told there are two Sportomatic, the early and the later. The later R&P is supposed to fit but the pinion shaft would have to be cut because it would be too long. confused24.gif

Haven't investigated more as of yet...
Mark Henry
QUOTE(73-914 @ Nov 2 2020, 11:29 PM) *

my Mother had a Autostick Beetle back in mid 70's. those were 3 speed transaxle

More like a 2 speed with an extra low granny gear and you had to manually (semi-auto) shift gears. If you touched the shifter you activated the clutch.
The type 3 (and IIRC T4) had the better Borg Warner 3 speed fully automatic trans.
KSCarrera
QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Nov 3 2020, 05:24 AM) *

Personally, I don't see any appeal with a 914 or 911 Sportomatic as it defeats the purpose... wacko.gif

But it's interesting to note that Vic Elford, among others, chose a Sporto 911 as his everyday driver when he could have had the pick of any 911 in the range.
GregAmy
QUOTE(KSCarrera @ Nov 3 2020, 12:21 PM) *

QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Nov 3 2020, 05:24 AM) *

Personally, I don't see any appeal with a 914 or 911 Sportomatic as it defeats the purpose... wacko.gif

But it's interesting to note that Vic Elford, among others, chose a Sporto 911 as his everyday driver when he could have had the pick of any 911 in the range.

I chose the DSG for my daily driver GTI. And I absolutely love it.

But DSG is a far, far, faaaar better transaxle than the Sporto was.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.