Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Installing 914Rubber flat tow bar
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
fiacra
Thought this would be an easy task, but no..... I purchased the bar from 914Rubber in April 2019 and it has been sitting in the box since then. I pulled it out and was trying to put it on so I could flat tow to WCR. Tried to put it on my 1973 that was parked in my driveway, but couldn't get the holes to line up. Not even close.... Tried every trick I could think of (and bent a persuader in the process) and eventually all I could think of was the that body was flexed on my non-level driveway. So, I tried to put it on my non-running 1975 that is up on a scissor lift and while it fit better I still couldn't get all the holes to line up. At least on that car the only hole I couldn't get to line up was for the cover over the front of the A-arm and it is close enough so that I can potentially oval out the hole to get it to fit. I PMd Mark ( @mikey914 ) and as always he was super responsive. Apparently nobody else has had this problem, but he did offer to swap it out right away. Instead I just ordered another one since I have more than one car and I'd like to have this on all my cars. If that one fits, then the problem is this bar -- at least that is my reasoning.

So, anybody have any thoughts or tricks they can suggest? I can't get the 1973 up on the scissor lift as the 1975 is not running and there is no way for me to move it. Get the bar partially on and then try to flex the body with a floor jack to see if the holes will line up better? Anything the collective wisdom of this forum can come up with I'm willing to consider.

I have to head out for a few hours but I'll check back in later. I can take pictures then if that would be helpful.
Montreal914
I bought my flat tow bracket from Rennenmetal in 2014 which looks like the one shown on 914Rubber's website.

When I installed it, I remember being very tight on the suspension bolts. Felt like there could have been a little more wiggle room in the holes. It is also a little tricky as the mounting point are at an angles. Good product but I wouldn't qualify it as perfect fit.

Once on though, the car was following my minivan perfectly so I am happy. smile.gif driving.gif Good luck.
76-914
Has your car ever been in a collision? If so, could be shoddy repair job at the body shop. beerchug.gif
fiacra
QUOTE(76-914 @ Nov 2 2020, 03:45 PM) *

Has your car ever been in a collision? If so, could be shoddy repair job at the body shop. beerchug.gif

The answer to that is unknown. However when I bought it I had a PP! and I had them check the body for any damage. The measured it from stem to stern and all was within factory tolerances. This was done at a local independent Porsche shop that knows 914s better than anyone around here. The was a repaired dent on a rear quarter panel, but no major damage.

At this point after almost five hours over two days I give up and will wait for the new tow bar to arrive to see if that one fits. I tried every trick I know to get this to line up. No way in the world that it will with the current holes in the bar. This is on two separate 914s, so I feel pretty confident it is not the car. If I had a way I would enlarge the holes and that likely would work. :headband:

I should add that Mark, as usual, is standing behind his product. He has already offered to replace it without hesitating for a single moment. Once I'm sure it is not the installer that is the problem I'll take him up on it. I have nothing but good things to say about 914Rubber.
bdstone914
@fiacra

I bought a Rennmetal bar and towed many different cars with it. It was a different problem fitting it on every car. It was rare to get in all six bolts. I cut out the bar that connects the two end pieces and it is much easier to install. The center bar is really not needed.
fiacra
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Nov 2 2020, 07:44 PM) *

@fiacra

I bought a Rennmetal bar and towed many different cars with it. It was a different problem fitting it on every car. It was rare to get in all six bolts. I cut out the bar that connects the two end pieces and it is much easier to install. The center bar is really not needed.

Thanks Bruce @bdstone914 , that seems to be a brilliant solution. Wish I were as smart as you pray.gif As long as the holes are drilled correctly that should work nicely! However, after wrestling with this thing for hours I do believe the problem is the length of the bar. It's often the case that "one size fits all" equals one size fits nobody. I'm pulling the angle grinder out tomorrow. It's going to feel good doing that.....
bdstone914
QUOTE(fiacra @ Nov 2 2020, 10:16 PM) *

@fiacra

Thanks Bruce @bdstone914 , that seems to be a brilliant solution. Wish I were as smart as you pray.gif As long as the holes are drilled correctly that should work nicely! However, after wrestling with this thing for hours I do believe the problem is the length of the bar. It's often the case that "one size fits all" equals one size fits nobody. I'm pulling the angle grinder out tomorrow. It's going to feel good doing that.....

I think the problem is that these cars were not built that prescisely an vary from one to another. Mine was a Rennmetel version but I had to radius the edges and elongate the holes.
914werke
popcorn[1].gif
My experience having sold & installed multiples of my own "bracket" is that your car has probably been tagged in one corner or the other.
Those type of shunts throw the the side to side relationship of the mounting holes off.
The other more common issue is the protection cups have been curbed hard enough to bend the forward mount hole up.
As has been discussed in another thread this is problematic as those holes are fully welded through the pan & are critical to carrying the towing load
914Toy

@fiacra

I agree, cut out the connecting bar which is heavy and not necessary.

agree.gif
fiacra
Well, it's on. Did cut the bar off but even with that one side needed a hole ovaled out in order to get it on. Thanks to @bdstone914 for his advice on cutting off the bar, as well as a PM with a tip on how to make a home made thread chaser to clean up the threads I damaged in my erstwhile attempts..... A couple of coats of black rustoleum and some "custom" notching of the fiberglass air dam and I'm now ready to tow. (A 914Rubber LE air dam is on it's way.) I should be at WCR where I expect to win prizes for most missing interior trim pieces, best MAACO paint job, and guy who obviously didn't wash his car or polish his wheels. But it is, as it should be, about the driving and meeting fellow enthusiasts/outpatients. I now have two days to get my psych meds up to therapeutic levels biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.