Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stucky Stuff for a carpet ride
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
forrestkhaag
Does anyone have recent positive experience with a contact adhesive that can actually hold the dash face material to the metal backing plate in a 914? - In Arizona's testing ground of.... say,... 150 degrees recorded last summer in the cabin?

Also, is there a source for German-like square weave carpet material and a spec in someone's experience on World?

Thanks
beerchug.gif
TheCabinetmaker
High temp plastic laminate (Formica) glue. The professional stuff. Not the water based crap. It's like the original weldwood contact cement. Disclaimer: not for use by nervous or impatient persons.
IronHillRestorations
Getting the old adhesive off is the key.

I've had good luck with 3M super trim adhesive, but you've got to mask off a lot in a 914 cabin to keep the overspray off other areas
Mikey914
For the heat - Weldwood
john77
The only one I've had luck with is weldwood's contact adhesive in a can. It's a pita to work with but it stayed stuck:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004IH3HA...=UTF8&psc=1

I tried 3M super trim AND weldwood's spray can adhesive before that (both on clean metal, i.e. I stripped off the old adhesive first) and both of them lifted. Max temp they saw was probably 100 degrees.
Montreal914
So the Weldwood requires a painting gun? sad.gif Any other way to apply this?

What about sail panels, same product?

TheCabinetmaker
Weldwood can be sprayed, brushed, or rolled on.
TheCabinetmaker
Yes, on the sail vinyl
forrestkhaag
thanks to all for the info / Weldwood it is!

beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.