Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Carbed 1975 1.8
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ballsyfacts914
Hi All,

Hope all are staying safe.

Long story short, I just finished reinstalling my fuel tank, replacing all the lower lines, because my fuel pump was cavitating something fierce and staying on all the time.

The cavitating has been resolved, the screen in the tank was gummed up, but a clicking sound is still occurring. I realized that the clicking was a noise I had been hearing for at least the last 6 months when I turned the key to start the engine. I have confirmed the current and previously heard clicking is from the fuel pump.

Ok, so the question is do I replace the fuel pump or is that normal?

Car drives great, no issues as far as I can tell.

Thank you
brant
QUOTE(ballsyfacts914 @ Nov 2 2020, 02:52 PM) *

Hi All,

Hope all are staying safe.

Long story short, I just finished reinstalling my fuel tank, replacing all the lower lines, because my fuel pump was cavitating something fierce and staying on all the time.

The cavitating has been resolved, the screen in the tank was gummed up, but a clicking sound is still occurring. I realized that the clicking was a noise I had been hearing for at least the last 6 months when I turned the key to start the engine. I have confirmed the current and previously heard clicking is from the fuel pump.

Ok, so the question is do I replace the fuel pump or is that normal?

Car drives great, no issues as far as I can tell.

Thank you

if its a diaphragm style pump the clicking is normal
if its a rotary, then no

a lot of carb cars were put together in the 80's with small square diaphragm style of pumps... brand name faucet. Common with the VW crowd.

guys use rubber isolators to quiet them down
they are loud clickers

got a picture of your pump?

brant

maf914
"a lot of carb cars were put together in the 80's with small square diaphragm style of pumps... brand name faucet. Common with the VW crowd."

Brant is correct. The brand is Facet. Cubical in shape. Noisy clicking, irritating.
ndfrigi
yes probably this is what you have now. Replace it with rotary fuel pump.

Click to view attachment
Tdskip
Those pumps work just fine, just noisy. I'd put that as low priority of there are any other issues impacting using/enjoying the car. If everything else is happy then do replace it - will be inexpensive.
type2man
Carter p60430 is the one you need, they are about $40
ballsyfacts914
Thank you!

It is a Facet and sounds like the minor clicking is normal.
rhodyguy
The rotary will most likely be self regulated. Most likely the facet won't and you'll need a stand alone regulator. And a gauge. More money, more clamps and more possible leak points.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.