Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone here endorse the Tangerine Racing Shift Linkage kit?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Stark 01
Shift linkage kit worth the $$? And the clutch pulley adapter?

Looking for feedback from those who installed it on a -4 side shift

Thanks! Drive Tastefully!
BuddyV
I had a similar version on a six (The Tangerine is an improved version of what I had... similar)..... and I loved it.

I didn't know immediately that my car had this kit..... and remember noticing how great the shifter "felt". I had previously used a Rennshifter for quite a few years... and although also a nice product, the system Tangerine offers is nicer IMHO.

It creates a more solid feel.... less.... well.... .914ish

Good luck.

PS - I have a kit for sale, but it's for a six.

Robert

beerchug.gif
tygaboy
I haven't used his shifter kit but I've purchased a BUNCH of other products from Tangerine, and happily state that if @ChrisFoley offers it for sale, it's a high quality, proven-to-work product.

Tangerine Racing products = Buy and Use With Confidence!

And no, I'm not affiliated, not a paid spokesperson, etc. He just makes GREAT stuff.
jim_hoyland
Fantastic set up. Shifts alot better
Stark 01
It’s unanimous!

Thanks for the responses, looks like they will be selling a kit this week. aktion035.gif
john77
Late to the party, but yep, I have the precision shift adjuster, firewall bushing, and shift linkage from the firewall back to the tranny. All really well made and the car shifts light years better than the stock set up (I switched to the rennshift shifter too).
914Toy
agree.gif
MM1
QUOTE(john77 @ Nov 2 2020, 09:10 PM) *

Late to the party, but yep, I have the precision shift adjuster, firewall bushing, and shift linkage from the firewall back to the tranny. All really well made and the car shifts light years better than the stock set up (I switched to the rennshift shifter too).

So, @john77 , did you prefer Chris' product to the Rennshift?
Montreal914
QUOTE(MM1 @ Nov 2 2020, 06:48 PM) *

Two different product... confused24.gif
Tangerine is the shift linkage, Rennshift is the shifter.

I made my own replica of the Tangerine linkage and I am very happy with the improvement. I am planning on improving the shifter as a second step, either with a Rennshift or something homebuilt.
wes
I have the Rennshift shifter with all new bushings and I’m quite happy with it. Am I able to use the Tangerine setup with my Rennshift unite and be even better?
MM1
QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Nov 2 2020, 09:52 PM) *

QUOTE(MM1 @ Nov 2 2020, 06:48 PM) *

Two different product... confused24.gif
Tangerine is the shift linkage, Rennshift is the shifter.

I made my own replica of the Tangerine linkage and I am very happy with the improvement. I am planning on improving the shifter as a second step, either with a Rennshift or something homebuilt.

Thank you, Eric.
MM1
QUOTE(wes @ Nov 2 2020, 10:53 PM) *

I have the Rennshift shifter with all new bushings and I’m quite happy with it. Am I able to use the Tangerine setup with my Rennshift unite and be even better?

curious to know the answer to @wes 's question - but I should go to bed before I ask another airy question . . . blink.gif huh.gif
gereed75
Not sure if you are referring to the rear shift console double bearing set up. This is by far the best shifter up grade going. It transforms 901 shifting

If you look at how the shifter movement works, the shifter kinda wiggles the shift rod. The double bearing console mod translates the wiggle into exactly the for/aft and rotation that the shift arm needs. No wasted motion

I contend that the best shifter set up is a Weltmiester short shifter with a tangerine linkage, bearings, and double bearing console.

Maybe a Rennshifter added in might improve it even more, but I dunno.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(wes @ Nov 2 2020, 07:53 PM) *

From my experience-YES
GregAmy
QUOTE(john77 @ Nov 2 2020, 10:10 PM) *

Ditto. Except for the Rennshift; after doing Tangerine's parts and driving it I decided to pass on the Rennshift.

Recommended.
Stark 01

John, what does the precision shift adjuster do? Does it mount in the car or a tool to align it?
Montreal914
I believe you are referring to this (I included the copyright... hope this is OK @ChrisFoley )

Click to view attachment
Stark 01
Yes, ok, looks like it’s a permanent mount below the shifter. Thanks!
john77
Yep, that's it. It bolts in below the shifter and makes adjusting the shift pattern take seconds instead of weeks lol-2.gif

For anyone that asked, the tangerine linkage was a huge improvement even before I added the Rennshift shifter.

QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Nov 3 2020, 08:09 AM) *

I believe you are referring to this (I included the copyright... hope this is OK @ChrisFoley )

Click to view attachment
dr914@autoatlanta.com
we love Chris and his products, but when the 73-76 shift linkage is correct it is perfectly acceptable and no need to change it.
mepstein
The shifting is only as good as it's weakest link.
The tangerine product takes all the slop out of the linkage.
The rennshifter takes any slop out of the shifter.
Both systems work great.
john77
Perfectly acceptable.

Two words my bank balance wishes I lived by...

And every on ramp I launch up makes me glad I don't. biggrin.gif

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Nov 3 2020, 09:21 AM) *

we love Chris and his products, but when the 73-76 shift linkage is correct it is perfectly acceptable and no need to change it.

SKL1
Happy tangerine customer- have several things but not the shift linkage. I do have a rennshift on both 914's and that makes a huge difference. Probably will do the linkage one of these days.

Only thing- if you get the engine removal tool make sure you get the right size strut or post for your brand of jack.Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.