Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need advice on buying 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bf**123
Need a little advice on buying a 1976 2.0. Already have a 1973 2.0 yellow vehicle but it needs new floor pans, both engine treys, battery support/trey and the rear trunk pan. I found a guy who is willing to sell me a 1976 black 2.0. It has a front oil cooling system and the only rust is behind the driver fire wall. He tells me it's a small amount of rust. The 76 runs and stops the 73 needs a total engine rebuild. I love the yellow 73 but both vehicle's will need repainting sometime in the near future. The 73 repairs to the rust is about 4k and the motor is about 2500. The 76 repairs will be about 1k. Wife will not let me have both. What's a newbie to do in this situation????? Any and all advice is welcome.
My heart says keep the 73 but my wallet says go with the 76. Thanks
914Sixer
ALWAYS buy the best car you can with the funds you have available. The 73 would be a parts car in days past BUT every car needs to be saved. With that said my money would be on the 76. Very few 76's were built. Bumper back date is an easy project if that is keeping you back.
bf**123
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Nov 2 2020, 07:37 PM) *

ALWAYS buy the best car you can with the funds you have available. The 73 would be a parts car in days past BUT every car needs to be saved. With that said my money would be on the 76. Very few 76's were built. Bumper back date is an easy project if that is keeping you back.

How did you know that the first thing that I hate about the 75 & 76 cars are the bumpers.
Jett
They are not that ugly smile.gif
Tdskip
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Nov 2 2020, 10:37 PM) *

Excellent advice - buy a driver, and then drive it to get started.
bbrock
I'll agree with what has been said in a different way. If you want a project, keep the 73 because that is what it is. I'm a project guy myself so get it, but I'm not getting the vibe that you want a project. If you want a car, buy the 76. I have a 73 but really don't understand the big bumper hate for the 75-76. I have always thought they look great and still do.
bf**123
QUOTE(Jett @ Nov 2 2020, 08:17 PM) *

Love the color of your 914!!!! In your opinion what makes the 76 914 better than a 73 914. Thanks
BillJ
Buy a driver. You can always backdate. My 75 got the treatmemt
KELTY360
QUOTE(bf**123 @ Nov 2 2020, 09:42 PM) *

Love the color of your 914!!!! In your opinion what makes the 76 914 better than a 73 914. Thanks

The bubs are not bad looking in the front where it brings the nose to a point, but the rear is a proportional disaster imho. It hangs out there like the transom on a fishing boat. Plus, it’s a lot of dead weight.

That said, the ‘76 gets you on the road with a driver and when it’s time for that repaint it’s also a good time to backdate the bumpers.
RolinkHaus
Love the 76.Click to view attachment
dlee6204
The '73 2.0L is a better car to restore in terms of long-term value. They will always be the more desirable of the two and thus worth more. Even a backdated '76 won't be valued the same as a '73 counterpart in similar condition.

With that being said a bigger project doesn't do you any good if you're not looking for that type/large of project. If long term value isn't a concern for you then you should go with the '76 and build it the way you want and have fun.

BTW Make sure to evaluate the rust situation on the '76 yourself. Don't trust the buyer. If there is rust on the "firewall" there will be more rust.
dcheek

I agree!

Click to view attachment
JamesM
QUOTE(bf**123 @ Nov 2 2020, 08:22 PM) *

He tells me it's a small amount of rust.

Sounds like you haven't seen the rust yet first hand. Shouldn't even be a debate until you know exactly what you are looking at.

From your description of your 73 it sounds like it needs pretty much everything, but if you really like the 73 and 76 rust issues are enough to require sheet metal repair, not sure you are gaining that much. Check out the 76, if the rust is just on the surface than go for it, if you can see daylight through it you may want to reconsider.
Arno914
I would love to own a `75 or `76 myself. Those were the last 914´s and built in rather small numbers compared to the previous years. I would also keep it original - no backdating. And by the way: If some crazy hits you with the shopping cart at Walmart, it shouldn´t cause to much damage on the "late" bumpered cars. smile.gif

I once was told that the ´75 and ´76 are more prone to rust since the factory used inferior steel from the mid 70´s on (remember the first rabbits or dashers). Can anyone confirm on this?

Greets, Arno
Root_Werks

agree.gif

10 years ago I wouldn't have thought twice about back dating 914 bumpers. The later 914's (especially a 1976) are getting harder to find unmolested. I'd leave the bumpers alone.

Buy the best 914 you can unless you want a project. Just buy something that is as done as possible.
914werke

Look at the Rugs!! biggrin.gif
Tdskip
Chrome bumper cars will always be available, if this is your first vintage car, first Porsche or first 914 I'd strongly encourage you to buy a running/driving car. Live it it and enjoy the experience. You can always backdate it.

The least fun car in the world is a 1/2 done car on jackstands...
Gint
QUOTE(bf**123 @ Nov 2 2020, 09:08 PM) *

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Nov 2 2020, 07:37 PM) *

How did you know that the first thing that I hate about the 75 & 76 cars are the bumpers.

Most people don’t. A good exception to that is the guys that already own them. What else are they going to say? happy11.gif
914_7T3
QUOTE(dlee6204 @ Nov 3 2020, 03:49 AM) *

The '73 2.0L is a better car to restore in terms of long-term value. They will always be the more desirable of the two and thus worth more. Even a backdated '76 won't be valued the same as a '73 counterpart in similar condition.

With that being said a bigger project doesn't do you any good if you're not looking for that type/large of project. If long term value isn't a concern for you then you should go with the '76 and build it the way you want and have fun.

BTW Make sure to evaluate the rust situation on the '76 yourself. Don't trust the buyer. If there is rust on the "firewall" there will be more rust.

agree.gif
brcacti
QUOTE(dcheek @ Nov 3 2020, 06:04 AM) *

I agree!

Click to view attachment

agree.gif
brcacti
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Nov 2 2020, 08:37 PM) *

agree.gif
trick-e
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Nov 3 2020, 02:05 PM) *

Took me a few years without a running car to figure this out. Great advice. Life is short, go with the runner. Sell the ‘73 to a buddy so you can get it back sometime in the future.

Jett
QUOTE(trick-e @ Nov 3 2020, 08:11 PM) *

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Nov 3 2020, 02:05 PM) *

Took me a few years without a running car to figure this out. Great advice. Life is short, go with the runner. Sell the ‘73 to a buddy so you can get it back sometime in the future.

+1
bf**123
Thanks everybody for their valuable tips on buying the 76. I'm going to keep the 73 for future use. Now to buy the 76 at a fair price. Again, thanks for all the great comments and the bumpers are not that bad looking.
steuspeed
Emissions is one more consideration. In my state 74 and later are exempt. Why older cars are desired more. It's a bitch getting my 79 Alfa through. It will be the first to go when downsizing.
JOEPROPER
If it were me, I'd go with the '76 2.0. No question! Buy the best car that you can and enjoy it. I've been putting back together my 75 for a few years now and have been without a streetable 914 for a little over a year now (sold my orange car). I can't wait to put my 75 on the road because it sucks to look at it and not be able to enjoy it. Good Luck. Decisions decisions...
infraredcalvin
QUOTE(Arno914 @ Nov 3 2020, 09:09 AM) *

I once was told that the ´75 and ´76 are more prone to rust since the factory used inferior steel from the mid 70´s on (remember the first rabbits or dashers). Can anyone confirm on this?

75 and 76 were the first years using galvanized steel which should mean the opposite of your claim. I’m no expert, but I’ve never heard that before.
Jett
QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Nov 5 2020, 08:22 AM) *

75 and 76 were the first years using galvanized steel which should mean the opposite of your claim. I’m no expert, but I’ve never heard that before.

I have had a 70, 73, and 75 914 and did not find any differences in their ability to fend off rust. Our 77 911 is a bit different, the metal is galvanized and little or no rust. All of our cars are west coast (LA, Oregon, and Seattle)
JamesM
QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Nov 5 2020, 08:22 AM) *

Other models yes, but Porsche never used galvanized on the 914s.

While the later cars 74+ did tend to get progressively cheaper with materials used in other places I haven't really noticed that rust has any preference between the early and late cars.
SO.O.C914er
Interesting? Buy a 76 then take the bumpers off and back date it to look like a 73? idea.gif Isn’t the 73 the most desired year. driving.gif Drive on Paul.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.