Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 Pressure Plate Orientation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Movin6
Quick sanity check before I torque the new pressure plate: OEM Flywheel and mating surface has been machined.

Is there any mounting / balance requirement for a new Sachs pressure plate?

Pic attached.

Looks like the alignment pins will press in when the 6 bolts are torqued. reusing the bolts, new lock washers. No locktite. Click to view attachment
rgalla9146
No orientation requirement.
The allens are a good idea, do a full rotate of crank with trans mounted just to be sure.
Also check fork position with trans mounted and adjust pivot ball height if necessary.
The friction surface and mounting surface machined to to same depth ?
Movin6
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Nov 3 2020, 05:25 AM) *

No orientation requirement.
The allens are a good idea, do a full rotate of crank with trans mounted just to be sure.
Also check fork position with trans mounted and adjust pivot ball height if necessary.
The friction surface and mounting surface machined to to same depth ?

Thanks for the reply. The machine shop said they took the same amount from the mounting surface as from the friction surface. I've dealt with them before, they seem competent.

How is pivot ball height measured and adjusted?
rgalla9146
It is best to have the cable end of the throwout arm toward the front of the
hole in the bellhousing.
A machined flywheel changes that position and results in reduced throw.
Adjustment is made by putting a washer under the pivot ball of the throwout arm.
You'll have to grind a deep 14mm socket to remove and install the ball.
Make sure the socket is deep enough before grinding.
porschetub
I had the same situation as I should have measured my flywheel before fitted but I assumed it hadn't been machined ,I had a issue where the release arm was contacting the trans case.
I measured the flywheel and found it still in spec by a reasonable margin so I added a shim spacer which was just under 1mm under the pivot ball bolt....sorted that problem.
rgalla9146
Forgot to include that the socket shown is 1/2" drive......3/8" will not do
Movin6
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Nov 3 2020, 07:38 PM) *

Thanks for the replies. I'll check clutch fork range of movement and add shims / washer before installing transaxle. (Need to wait on Swepco 201 delivery anyway.)

Looks like I previously loosened the fork ball stud. What is the proper tightening torque? (I can't find it listed...)
porschetub
QUOTE(Movin6 @ Nov 8 2020, 05:56 AM) *

Thanks for the replies. I'll check clutch fork range of movement and add shims / washer before installing transaxle. (Need to wait on Swepco 201 delivery anyway.)

Looks like I previously loosened the fork ball stud. What is the proper tightening torque? (I can't find it listed...)

Sorry don't know but mine was bloody tight,makes it more important to make sure you grind the socket to fit well....round that one off in you are in trouble sad.gif .
Movin6
QUOTE(porschetub @ Nov 7 2020, 01:33 PM) *

QUOTE(Movin6 @ Nov 8 2020, 05:56 AM) *

Sorry don't know but mine was bloody tight,makes it more important to make sure you grind the socket to fit well....round that one off in you are in trouble sad.gif .

What is proper range of motion for the fork? There were 3 washers on the ball stud, I added a forth. With the fork assembled, the front surface of the TO is almost even with the front edge of the guide tube. If I move the lever as far back as possible the TO comes far enough off the guide tube that it will 'wobble'. Maybe the three washers were enough? (I do not know how much material was taken off the flywheel, but certainly some...) Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.