Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need recommendation for undertray coating removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Landsharkoz
Hi all,

Well I've been 'lucky' enough to have purchased a '73 914. I'm planning on shipping it over to Australia, but before I do, I need some recommendations.

The problem being, apparently after having the vehicle tested for asbestos (a major requirement prior to importing into Oz) it turns out the undertray coating has 'it'.

Now I'm thinking perhaps while it's still over in LA (generously and temporarily stored securely with a well known 914 forum member) I should get it resprayed in the original colour, and while that's being done, have the undertray done as well.

I'm hoping someone here knows of a company nearby(?) that might have the resources to accomplish this somewhat major task.

IPB Image

I thank you all in anticipation of your help!

Leonard
Superhawk996
You’ve got a catch 22 situation on your hands.

Hopefully you can find someone via reference but I suspect it will be difficult.

I’d think about who did your testing. I actually used to do asbestos inspections on academic buildings working my way through college. There are multiple types of asbestos fiber. Some are only dangerous when ground or abraided which is what removal would normally be. Actually safer to leave in place as is.

I’d be surprised to find it in undercoat. More likely to be remnants from 70s era brake dust and or clutch materials. That is why I’d suggest knowing more about who tested it, in what quantity it was found, and whether it was in the petroleum binder of the undercoating or just sitting on the surface.

Good luck confused24.gif
Landsharkoz
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Nov 3 2020, 06:38 PM) *

I’d be surprised to find it in undercoat. More likely to be remnants from 70s era brake dust and or clutch materials. That is why I’d suggest knowing more about who tested it, in what quantity it was found, and whether it was in the petroleum binder of the undercoating or just sitting on the surface.
Good luck confused24.gif

Would you know of anyone in the LA area that could retest the undercoating?

I'm now looking at having the undercoat dry ice blasted off.

Still searching! Still need help if anyone has any contacts I'd appreciate it. smile.gif

Leonard '73 914
porschetub
QUOTE(Landsharkoz @ Nov 10 2020, 09:43 AM) *

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Nov 3 2020, 06:38 PM) *

Good luck confused24.gif

Would you know of anyone in the LA area that could retest the undercoating?

I'm now looking at having the undercoat dry ice blasted off.

Still searching! Still need help if anyone has any contacts I'd appreciate it. smile.gif

Leonard '73 914

Can you get it waterblasted and retested,I agree with superhawk that it is most likely residual brake/clutch dust,IMO I see no reason the original PVC undercoating would have asbestos in it...could be wrong.
We have very strict rules here and the imported car is very carefully checked ,been cases of cars being impounded and sealed if not clean from country of origin, MPI here can do it for you and charge mega cleanup fee to do it and you have no option.
Thinking 2-4hrs commited heating/scraping to get it off which is $$$$ then a sealing coat over the bare floor and the unlucky part is finding the rust bits unsure.gif .
If you have the coin get all this work done in the US but be aware the difference in labour rates and get it Asbestos free and shipped to OZ plenty of good work done there.
Good luck..

bdstone914
I was a QA manager for a sealant manufacturer in the early 80's. We made automotive undercoating and asbestos was an ingredient in almost all undercoatings.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Nov 10 2020, 12:11 AM) *

I was a QA manager for a sealant manufacturer in the early 80's. We made automotive undercoating and asbestos was an ingredient in almost all undercoatings.

Wow! Quick google search shows it being way more widely used in asphalt based undercoating than I would have thought!

Total catch 22! If you remove it - someone now has hazardous waste to dispose of. If you don’t remove it - no import. huh.gif

Now I’m really curious about what the “approved” removal method would be. Glove bag it? Respirators and full negative pressure controls? Encapsulation first?

Oh crap! Maybe someone with body shop experience that has proper training can chime in on what they do?

Make @bdstone914 do it since he made the stuff? confused24.gif av-943.gif Sorry gallows humor.

All this is getting a bit out of hand - wait for the next round of regulation - copper free brake pads - coming soon!

As soon as you get rid of one thing (asbestos) then you find out the alternative materials (copper) that helped make the substitute brake pads (non asbestos organic) work, is now also banned (starting 2021 through 2025 phase out).
Midway
Asbestos is a big problem in Australia from miners to consumers being exposed to it. The number of people developing mesothelioma as a result is very high. It is amazing the variety of products that have asbestos in them - I discovered it in a Miele stove purchased in 2005 in our house!
When I imported my 914 about 3 years ago the government wasn't so concerned about asbestos coming into the country in cars. Since then things have changed and there is an onus on the person importing to show that asbestos is not present. Reading the requirements it would seem to be an almost impossible task.
I contacted my importing agent recently and he reckons no problem, don't worry about it!
I have been in contact with a bloke in Melbourne who bought in a 914 earlier this year without taking any asbestos related precautions and had no issues. He did say the car had to be cleaned (steam?)at a somewhat price gouging cost when it arrived though but more related to bio security.
bdstone914
@Superhawk996
Make @bdstone914 do it since he made the stuff? confused24.gif av-943.gif Sorry gallows humor.

Just for the record I was fired from that job after giving OSHA a guided tour of how asbestos was handled by the company. It did not go well for them.
confused24.gif
It was not an enviornmentally consious company. A VP there once bragged to me how they dumped 50,000 gallons of bad sealant into the river so they did not have to pay for proper disposal.
The asbestos in the undercoating is well encapsulated in the under coating. Asbestos poses dangers when enhaled. I would just wear a mask and use a heat gun and scrapers to remove it.
And no I am not offering to help remove it.
Superhawk996
@bdstone914 no ill will meant - sorry if that came off as a poke at you sad.gif

bdstone914
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Nov 10 2020, 02:34 PM) *

@bdstone914 no ill will meant - sorry if that came off as a poke at you sad.gif

No offence taken. Stay safe in Waterford.
Landsharkoz
Thank you all for taking the time out to respond to my thread.

I am in the middle of negotiations with two companies willing to do this job via dry ice blasting. Not in California.

This means shipping it out, getting the job done and getting it back to the docks in LA for shipping. I feel my aussie peso is going to take a battering, but I'm also determined to get this job done properly. The company that did the initial testing has already removed the 'easy' affected parts namely gaskets, brake and clutch linings etc. As the report came back also mentioning the undertray, they had no interest in applying themselves to that task. Now I'm not bagging them, as they have their reasons, but I still plan on at least attempting to remove as MUCH of it as possible with the dry ice process.

We'll see. Can't say I have any other options other than to re-sell it and not even try to import it. Do NOT want to take that option.

Also I want to thank forum member Oscar Valerio who has been so gracious in helping me with ideas and physical assistance.

Cheers, Leonard

bdstone914
@Landsharkoz

I am in the middle of negotiations with two companies willing to do this job via dry ice blasting. Not in California.

This means shipping it out, getting the job done and getting it back to the docks in LA for shipping. I feel my aussie peso is going to take a battering, but I'm also determined to get this job done properly. The company that did the initial testing has already removed the 'easy' affected parts namely gaskets, brake and clutch linings etc. As the report came back also mentioning the undertray, they had no interest in applying themselves to that task. Now I'm not bagging them, as they have their reasons, but I still plan on at least attempting to remove as MUCH of it as possible with the dry ice process.

We'll see. Can't say I have any other options other than to re-sell it and not even try to import it. Do NOT want to take that option.

Also I want to thank forum member Oscar Valerio who has been so gracious in helping me with ideas and physical assistance.

Another member posted this about a dry ice blasting company in California.
There are a lot of resources in the LA area.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=349699
ndfrigi
Bruce, so meaning there maybe some of our 914 has those asbestos undercoating? Should we be worried scraping them?
ValcoOscar
Leonard

I agree...get it done right.

Don't worry about your car, it's safely stored in my garage under 24/ 7 video surveillance.

I can also help transport locally.

Oscar
ndfrigi
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Nov 10 2020, 06:32 PM) *

Leonard

Don't worry about your car, it's safely stored in my garage under 24/ 7 video surveillance.

Oscar

wait! so his car is at your place @valcoOscar ?
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Nov 10 2020, 06:44 PM) *

Leonard

Oscar

hide.gif
Landsharkoz
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Nov 10 2020, 10:25 PM) *

QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Nov 10 2020, 06:44 PM) *

Leonard

Oscar

hide.gif

Yes, @valcoOscar has kindly been working (tirelessly in the background) for me. And storing the little beasty safely until we can get it to a workshop willing to take on this task.

Isn't it interesting that up until ... when .. (?) .. noone has given the asbestos content any thought? How many folks are working on their pride and joy not really giving it a thought? Mesothelioma is no joke.

Landsharkoz
Here she is ..

IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.