Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Price Check: New EZ36 short block
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Literati914
Hey guys, I have access to a (looks like) new Subaru EZ36 engine. This thing is clean, including the pistons - bright shiny aluminum.. no carbon anywhere. I don't think it's been run before, but that's my guess. It belongs to the father of a friend (of my son) who works for a Subaru tuning company. It is a short block as stated - no heads, induction, etc. They apparently do not have a plan for it and would sell. What's a reasonable price.

Front yard mechanic
QUOTE(Literati914 @ Nov 3 2020, 08:02 PM) *

Hey guys, I have access to a (looks like) new Subaru EZ36 engine. This thing is clean, including the pistons - bright shiny aluminum.. no carbon anywhere. I don't think it's been run before, but that's my guess. It belongs to the father of a friend (of my son) who works for a Subaru tuning company. It is a short block as stated - no heads, induction, etc. They apparently do not have a plan for it and would sell. What's a reasonable price.

I found that new heads cost more than a complete running engine
Literati914
I'm not seeing any 3.6L complete engines anywhere near me to compare it to, money wise. There are mainly just the 2.0L turbo options. I see complete 3.0s occasionally.. but then this is a 3.6.. and a shortblock at that.

mepstein
It cost a lot to piece together an engine no matter what brand you buy. But at least you get exactly what you want.
76-914
If you are planning 3.6 conversion I'd say 300 and keep it as a backup for parts. You can buy low milage 3.6's pretty easily. beerchug.gif
CBee
FWIW,
I picked a EZ36 longblock up at one of the local indoor scrap yards for $50 scrap weight last week.
It was sitting with a pile of headless EJ 25 motors

It turns freely and feels like it has compression. One plug looks like that cylinder may have oil burning issues could be why it was removed.

If I go with that motor, I'll head to the pick and pull for an intake and exhuast manifold, alternator bracket, etc to make it complete.
Literati914
So I got some pics today of the EZ36 and also got the guy to throw a number out... said it's negotiable. $1500. But from the sound of it, that's crazy talk!
So, $300 and for parts or a backup only then?
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
Chris914n6
$2k can get you a complete with acc runner. broken in of course. they've been out since 2007.

by the time you've collected all the nuts and bolts and pieced it together you've wasted a bunch of time and near the same $$
Literati914
OK, I understand, I hear what you guys are saying .. but is $300 the appropriate number for this thing? ..or was that a little tongue in cheek? I get the feeling this guy would like to get it out of his space, so.. maybe I can make him see my POV, get a good deal and not piss him off too much with a low ball offer idea.gif

Chris914n6
Subaru sells if for around $1500. So wiggle room would be how much of a discount he got or how much he's willing to give away. $1300 would be reasonable, $300 is a high mile short block price.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.