Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Performance Oriented up for sale
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
slivel
Paul Abbott who owns Performance Oriented has announced that he is interested in selling the business. He is in Salem, Oregon and has long been known as one of the best Weber restorers and blueprinters in the business. It will be a loss to the triple throat Weber community if we lose this resource. Sounds like he is going to retire. I had my 46's done by him about 10 years ago and they were perfect. Among the many services he provides; he replaces the bushed ends of the throttle shaft which wear and leak air (causing popping, mixture problems and tuning difficulty) making for a super smooth operation. I hope someone with similar talent will follow on.

Paul has a quite a resume - mechanical engineer, design engineer and VP of engineering for General Dynamics. Long time Porsche owner. His web site has loads of valuable technical information.

https://www.performanceoriented.com/

Mueller
I showed this to my wife a few days ago, she is on board if I found funding without selling our stocks or digging into savings.

I already figured out that the equipment would fit split between my small shop and single car side of the garage where my CNC mill is.

Wondering if a well established Porsche related shop is going to jump on this?
Lucky9146
Got an email from him as a former customer about the sale. I knew this was coming as he had been declining work and ramping down for some time after his move out of CA. Got the chance to meet him last year at the Phoenix Club swap meet and that was great.

He had done my 40's and they were perfect, so much so, that with his test bed engine set up I put them on my car and they ran perfectly, needing no adjustment. He will be a difficult resource to duplicate as he was and engineer's engineer and knew these Webers like the back of his hand with his eyes closed. If you have ever visited his web site (note link in first post) he has so much information posted it boggles the mind. Such a talent he is and so generous to share. I feel fortunate to have found him and have had him do my carbs.

I wish Paul all the best in his retirement. beerchug.gif beerchug.gif
live free & drive
QUOTE(Mueller @ Nov 4 2020, 12:07 PM) *

I showed this to my wife a few days ago, she is on board if I found funding without selling our stocks or digging into savings.

I already figured out that the equipment would fit split between my small shop and single car side of the garage where my CNC mill is.

Wondering if a well established Porsche related shop is going to jump on this?

Just as a data point, Eurometrix is a similar business on the east coast that was sold from the original owner (Eberhardt) to Matt Blast. He works out of a home shop/garage too.

https://eurometrix.ws/

porschetub
Wow that will be a sad loss to the Porsche community unless how ever buys the business has Pauls skill …that could be a tough call.
Seems like a real nice guy and remember has replies on Pelican helped many folk including myself.
mb911
I am hopeful to wrap up my most unpleasant year ever but I am seriously considering this to compliment my other services. I work with Paul on a bunch of projects on a regular basis and think I have a way to make this work.. still working through this in my mind as I would then likely quit my day job.

Who knows got wait until I finish up the nastiness at hand.
porschetub
QUOTE(mb911 @ Nov 5 2020, 03:02 PM) *

I am hopeful to wrap up my most unpleasant year ever but I am seriously considering this to compliment my other services. I work with Paul on a bunch of projects on a regular basis and think I have a way to make this work.. still working through this in my mind as I would then likely quit my day job.

agree.gif I lost a service contract after lockdown that was a nice weekly income for me ,might get it back this summer but not 100% as the owners may sell off to recover their lose...meanwhile unused machinery is rusting away sad.gif .
To top things off the sale of my rural property has taken a real hit since listing before lockdown.
Ben have you checked the terms of the deal? is it the business name and plant/tooling our is that separate ? only asking as I believe it is different in my country.

Having seen the standard of your work it would be a great service to add to your website.
Good luck and wish you well beerchug.gif .
Gint
Well, there goes my "plan A" for my Webers and using my original motor.
914werke
is his business specific to /6 carb sets?
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(mb911 @ Nov 4 2020, 06:02 PM) *

I'd be your biggest cheer.gif

Oscar
Mark Henry
You would be buying the business, stock and all his custom tooling, unless you're close it's likely not worth buying/shipping the mill and lathe. Paul would likely be offering some training, but really you need fine tolerance machining experience.
I rebuilt my carbs following his tech pages religiously, I've got a pretty good idea of the time he's got invested into each of his rebuilds, in labor time alone he earns his money.

914werke
is his business specific to /6 carb sets?

Yes, but I don't know if he does the solex carbs or zeineth, you know he's had his hands on a few sets.
If you can easily take on the /6 Weber IDA you're tooled up to do any of the Weber IDA and IDF carbs.

bigkensteele
For anyone interested in reading the email he sent to customers...

info@performanceoriented.com
Sun, Nov 1, 2:41 PM (4 days ago)
to

Performance Oriented is available for sale, general information is:
This is an enthusiast oriented, home-based business. The work is both mindful and satisfying.
Training is by demonstration on Weber carburetors and includes all business aspects including:
Disassembly of received projects and generation of Price Proposal
Restorative, reparative and modification procedures
Billing and shipping procedures
Equipment includes:
Bridgeport mill with digital read-out scales
Clausing 10” lathe with collet closer
Zinc plating station including:
basket plating setup
Ultrasonic cleaning tank
Carb cleaner dip tank
Quincy QTV-54 air compressor
5HP
60 gallon, vertical tank
Bead blast cabinet modified for carb business
Vacuum tank for flow testing throttle housings
Dedicated carb assembly bench with carb rotisserie and tool box
Small parts storage cabinet with inventory of parts
Project storage rack
Inventory of Weber and Zenith carbs
Test engine on roll-around stand
Dedicated tooling
Technical files
Customer and vendor files
Business name and web site
Price is $225K for November. Each subsequent month after November will have purchase price reduced by $25K until business is sold. So: December price is $200K, January price is $175K, etc.
Annual net ranges from $80K to $100K which is 80% of gross income
Work week is typically four days at 8 hours plus one day dedicated to office duties
This is a sweet, home-based, mail-order business for the Porsche enthusiast with mechanical skills and it is expandable to other carburetor types. Also, a home-based business is particularly attractive with Covid-19 lurking about.

Cheers,

Paul Abbott
Performance Oriented
1040 Luradel Ave S
Salem, Oregon 97302
www.PerformanceOriented.com
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.