Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 911T struts, how to ID besides 3"spacing and part number?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mark Henry
Any other differences between the early solid rotor and later 3" T or 914/6 struts that I should look for? I can't quite make out the part numbers...
I know my and my wife's 914's have the 914/6 part number.
Mark Henry
Crap, I should have put this in the 5-lug thread... dry.gif
Tdskip
Hi Mark - aren't there differences in how the balljoint is attached? I believe the earlier cars use a round bolt / round cutout where the balljoint shaft goes to locate it. Post 1972 cars use a "wedge" bolt" that has a V shaped cutout in the balljoint shaft that locates it.

Someone please double check me on this...
Mark Henry
These are early BJ sets, I just need to know if there's a difference between the struts if they're solid or vented rotors.
I have the later thick hubs.

I have two sets of these struts, but I have to give back the set I don't want.
Mark Henry
Isn't there a CSI type way of raising serial or part numbers?
mepstein
I don’t believe the strut differs between the solid and vented rotors.
Mark Henry
Thanks Mark
I made one complete set I hope, I know for sure one is a 911 part number and the dimensions match, but they had odd spacers on the spindles, are they a spacer or part of the old bearing? They knocked off like a bearing inner race but they're not conical.
These are Boge struts and the thicker hubs, I'm missing one of the spindle nuts, hopefully I can find one.

The other set I think one is a /4 strut, as it has a smaller lock nut thread. The other one the hub is 911 but it has a different inside fitting grease cap.
mepstein
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Nov 4 2020, 06:04 PM) *

Thanks Mark
I made one complete set I hope, I know for sure one is a 911 part number and the dimensions match, but they had odd spacers on the spindles, are they a spacer or part of the old bearing? They knocked off like a bearing inner race but they're not conical.
These are Boge struts and the thicker hubs, I'm missing one of the spindle nuts, hopefully I can find one.

The other set I think one is a /4 strut, as it has a smaller lock nut thread. The other one the hub is 911 but it has a different inside fitting grease cap.

4 struts have a straight arm to to the tie rod, 911 is curved.
Later hubs have a small cap for the hub centric flange.
The odd spacer is needed on the strut to seal the hub with the rubber/metal seal on the back of the hub.

I did put a solid rotor on the front of my conversion car with a 912 M caliper and everything lined up fine. The struts had come off a 911T with vented rotors so I'm 99% on the struts being the same.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 4 2020, 06:24 PM) *

Thanks Mark

The odd spacer is needed on the strut to seal the hub with the rubber/metal seal on the back of the hub.

I did put a solid rotor on the front of my conversion car with a 912 M caliper and everything lined up fine. The struts had come off a 911T with vented rotors so I'm 99% on the struts being the same.

Glad I didn't damage the "spacers", one had an thin O-ring behind it the other had nothing. IIRC my 914/6 struts had these spacers, I just never tried to take them off.
mepstein
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Nov 4 2020, 06:40 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 4 2020, 06:24 PM) *

Thanks Mark

Glad I didn't damage the "spacers", one had an thin O-ring behind it the other had nothing. IIRC my 914/6 struts had these spacers, I just never tried to take them off.

They are pricey.
sixnotfour
Distance Rings
davep
I believe the ring on the 911 & 914/6 struts are for the bearing seal to ride on. The O-ring behind it is also used in the transmission, but seems to need to be stretched a lot. The struts themselves are basically the same. The difference in part # is probably due to installed shock inserts. I have it in my mind that the hubs may be different between solid & vented rotors, but I am not certain.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.