Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fake Fuchs from Cip1
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Literati914
Hey guys, I bought a set of fully polished 5-lug fake fuchs from Cip1 and they came in today (was super fast, free shipping, no tax, & on sale !!).. I got 4 for $478 all in, and it's the best value I've spent money on lately for anything. I just wanted to give you guys an honest assessment. Gotta say, I'm impressed - they look great IMHO. I got the fully polished 15x6s. I can report on a couple of items that the website was unclear on or didn't detail and that I was curious about...

First - are they "deep six" or "Flat"? Remember both types of original 15x6 Fuchs came with a 36mm offset (BTW, these have a 35mm offset and a backspacing of 4-13/16)... the difference between original deep six and flats was actually the "dish depth" of the outer lip (deep six lip measuring 42mm, while flats measured 20mm). Ok - so these are definitely "Deep Six" style, with the lip measuring at least 42mm, maybe 45mm depending on where you judge the lip to turn out at.

Secondly - Do they have hearts or not? Cip1s pics show no heart at the valve stem area.. but I did come across a pic on another forum of the painted version from them, with a heart shape at the valve stem area. That's weird but I also notice that they're using the same pictures for other sizes etc. Anyway I'd like to confirm that my set definitely DO HAVE hearts, if that feature is preferred by any one.

Weight.. Cip does not give a weight and I'm going to try to get mine on a scale tomorrow (will report back) but they do not feel heavy, I'm guessing 14.5lbs or so.

Valve Stems.. the website does not mention them specifically but does say hardware and caps sold separately. None of the pictures include stem - but YES they are included. They have a removable chrome sleeve - I'll be keeping it off.

Just thought I'd report.. no affiliation, just a happy customer. I think the sale ends this week if anyone's in the market for a cheap alternative to real Fuchs.
https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?Pr...6015FOO513035HP
Coondog
I ran the same wheel for a couple years with zero complaints. I think they look pretty good personally. Funny that my Porsche crest had Stuttgart on it but was spelled wrong on purpose. No one can tell the difference.
My car before the GT flares.
Click to view attachment
Literati914
Wow Coondog, that whole set up is soo clean looking first.gif

I actually got these wheels with the idea that I may paint them in some form or another. Maybe plasti-dip so I could reverse it when I get tired of the effect.. even thought about just going over 'em with a scotch brite to dull 'em down a bit (don't like chrome or highly polished - usually). Do you know if they have a clear over the polish? I doubt it, probably not .. but I guess it could be possible.

porschetub
Look good to me and a great price really like them and could be cheaply converted to RSR look biggrin.gif ,remember when I bought my Maxilites was knida worried about quality but my tyre guy said they are in excellent balance and the only weights were needed for the tyres which weren't cheap.
The other set of 7 x 16'' genuine were true but needed more weights to balance...funny that.
My take on it is that cast (heavy) wheels are brittle and can crack...seen it,pressure cast alloy wheels have come a long way since then as far as I have seen.
Mike D.
I've bought stuff from CIP1 for my Type2 and Type3 in the past and have no complaints for fitment or quality. I have seen several other 914 and Type 4 parts. In fact they carry brand new 914 gas tanks at $190. Not sure if that's a good deal or not...
They also carry 1.7 mufflers, 914 flywheels... probably more... Now I'm going over there to look.... damn it!
frankiec@outrageous.net
Have had the CP1 fakes for a few yrs, been fine.Click to view attachment
djway
QUOTE(Coondog @ Nov 4 2020, 07:20 PM) *

I ran the same wheel for a couple years with zero complaints. I think they look pretty good personally. Funny that my Porsche crest had Stuttgart on it but was spelled wrong on purpose. No one can tell the difference.
Click to view attachment

Me Too shades.gif Click to view attachment
Montreal914
Thank you for tip!
Just ordered my 15 x 4 1/2" for my compact spare tire. $109 all in delivered, good deal... beerchug.gif
Coondog
QUOTE(djway @ Nov 4 2020, 11:21 PM) *

Click to view attachment

I recognize those. Glad they went to to a good home.
djway
QUOTE(Coondog @ Nov 5 2020, 07:49 PM) *

QUOTE(djway @ Nov 4 2020, 11:21 PM) *

Click to view attachment

I recognize those. Glad they went to to a good home.

Thanks. I didn’t realize these were CIP, thought they were Empi. I need to put the two side by side, look for differences.
sixnotfour
I've been running the 17 x 7s for 7 yrs no problem.
Literati914
QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Nov 5 2020, 08:55 PM) *

Thank you for tip!
Just ordered my 15 x 4 1/2" for my compact spare tire. $109 all in delivered, good deal... beerchug.gif

@Montreal914 , I like this idea.. what size tires are you running and what size will the spare be?

Montreal914
@Literati914

The whole reasoning behind it is this one...

Planning on having a front mounted oil cooler (big /4 in the future) and still want to keep the standard trunk space.
As mentioned earlier in the post, I do believe in the impact absorption of the flat laying spare.
So, to accommodate the cooler, the spare needs to be smaller in diameter. I had a 911 collapsible spare for this but found it too heavy. Thought about buying an aluminum Fachs 5.5" but apparently, swapping the collapsible tire can be tricky.
Then I remember having a compact donut on my VW Beetle, some 30 years ago... Searching for temporary use tires (125/70-R15), I saw they were mounted on 4.5" which means less weight and space. smile.gif ...And I know the VW crowd sometimes use these skinny front wheels idea.gif

Picked up a used Japanese wheel and tire for $10 and will get the tire mounted on the Fachs 4.5". Here is my mockup with the Japanese wheel in the front trunk. Cooler is a MBZ small version that will fit under the reinforcement shelf. I will open the front rubber plugs for inlet and remove the 2 large ports at the back of the trunk floor. I will redo the carpeted trunk floor panel with a soft rubber seal all around to "seal" the created plenum. Will also cap the round holes on each vertical wall under the light buckets to close the plenum. Air will find its way out through the Fachs spokes and various open gaps.

I expect this will actually lower the finished trunk floor, increasing cargo space, yet including a cooler. Lines on the tape on each side were the three floor simulation I did. Top one being the stock setup. Will need to redo the test once I receive the Cip1 Fachs. smile.gif

Click to view attachment
bigkensteele
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Nov 6 2020, 07:15 AM) *

@sixnotfour what did you have to do to the rear fenders to get those tucked up in there? Are you running any toe-in?

Trying to squeeze 16x7s with 205/55s up in mine and I have had to pull the fenders, and I can't run much toe-in on the drivers side. Guess I need to see how much more I can really tug on these fenders to pull them out.
sixnotfour
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Nov 6 2020, 05:01 PM) *

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Nov 6 2020, 07:15 AM) *

@sixnotfour what did you have to do to the rear fenders to get those tucked up in there? Are you running any toe-in?

Trying to squeeze 16x7s with 205/55s up in mine and I have had to pull the fenders, and I can't run much toe-in on the drivers side. Guess I need to see how much more I can really tug on these fenders to pull them out.

The 17x7s have a better offset . no fender pulling..
7 INCH WIDE X 17 INCH DIA.(5.5 IN. BACKSPACE/ET40)
Literati914
I had promised to post the weight for the 15x6 set of these that I got the other day... put them on a nice scale this evening and they each weighed 15lbs even. beer3.gif

Montreal914
I received my Fachs today. Perfectly boxed up, DHL delivered to my door, 2 business days after ordering it. smile.gif Comes with valve stem with SS sleeve and metal cap.

This is a 15 x 4.5 for my spare. It weighs 13.6lbs

The spoke side of the wheel sticks out of the ring by a little over 1/2" (picture).

Got my temporary use 125/70-R15 spare on at the corner shop and balanced.

Total weight: 23.6lbs

Fits well in the front trunk compartment and will leave enough room for my future oil cooler. Floor panel is actually lower that the arched shelf in the front smile.gif , so more cargo volume, yet with a good looking spare and an oil cooler! cheer.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

djway
Same wheel I use for spare in my Notchback.
I will probably use it for many applications.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.