Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Motor takes a vacation... (alt.body.modification)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
redshift
My motor decided to take an extended vacation in So Cal, so I thought while it was lounging around in the sun, and sipping neo-tropical health smoothies, I would attack the unprotected hide with what's left of the money I found in the subway.

She's getting new suspension, stripped-n-dipped, boxed, welded cowl/fender seams, deleted side markers... and she's growing room for big rubber.

I don't reallly care for GT flares, the rear of my car swallows 5.5", I want 9" back there, what are the chances of it being pulled that far?

ERP 935 suspension. Anyone have any experience with that setup on a 14? I like the bearings, but how does that rig change the handling, I mean, I am only here for the handling, I bet coilover would be great for the Moon I drive on.

I also need an understated wing, ideas? I am not sure I have ever seen one that doesn't look a tad rediculous, I am not looking for a body kit, I want a functional wing that is adjustable, and not huge.

I am sure I have a 1000 related questions, the motor comes out in the morning, and I need to get a plan.. quick.

Last thing is color: Pick one

Black, Silver, Aubergine, Marathon *(original)

This car will have the biggest MFI /6 I can afford in the next year, so take that into account..

happy11.gif

I am leaning towards black... with a Pegasus..

rolleyes.gif

M
seanery
street or track car?
redshift
Streeter, I don't mind it being somewhat rough in town, I have driven on KYBs through the cratered streets here before.

That ERP setup looks like severe bling-bling, maybe putting a 914 somewhere between the lunar rover, and a 935, it's sexy, I wonder how it feels..

It sucks having to throw it all together at the same time.. but I don't want to half-do everything three times...

I just want to be feared.

smile.gif

M
Aaron Cox
WE dont need no steeenking wings!!!!!!!

we need a calvin peeing on RICE image!

ar15.gif RICE
seanery
I'd do a Sheridan SCCA lip spoiler instead of a wing.
redshift
No, we need wings.. 110 is V1, and 130 is V2... even a 2.0 starts rotating with your foot on the floor.

smile.gif

If there is a way around it, I much prefer stock, but I'd like the option of living past 150.

M
seanery
IPB Image
redshift
Yikes! Neat, but not me.

Did you see the vid of the 2.8RSR? I want to look at least that stock, I kinda like the funky color.. the wing is a little big.

M
Aaron Cox
whats next a dodge daytona wing on a teener?
seanery
I'm not talking about the car, just the rear lip spoiler.

Here's a view from the back.
IPB Image
redshift
I got ya, totally doable.. a pumped up duckie.

I don't like the Daytona wing, but I'll bet a Superbird wing would look great.

I love John Kelly's flares, but he's a big *movie star* now, damnit.

laugh.gif

M
airsix
Random blathering:

Rear lip spoilers make cars look like an '80's trans-Am. barf.gif

Licence plate frame on the 2.8RSR 914 reads: "No, really. It's all stock."

935 front monoball suspension is bling-bling? Who's going to see it? Nobody as long as you keep the shiny side up.

Go with Ghia Man's fender enhancement if you don't like GT flares. smash.gif I got 245's on 8's in back that way.

-Ben M.
redshift
I don't have enough time in my life to smash.gif the fenders out to look like that fat assed silver seattle car I have seen around in pics.

John's flares would be perfect, that looks cooler than the Batmobile, but I read somewhere that he was more into making the "Roy Clarke Big Flare Songbook, and Video"..

I made a funny! boldblue.gif

I agree on the spoiler, but the rear lifts too much.

M
-goodnight-
Mueller
I just sold a set of front needle bearings to a guy that just removed his ERP 935 front suspension on his '87 3.8 powered 911....he had odd handling with the car and decided to ditch that particular setup.

For the rear, you could always cut, pull and weld the rear fenders like Richard Fisher did on his awesome V8 914.
redshift
You have links to any pics of Richard's car?

idea.gif

I think I may be better off with an SC frontend with bearings, except for the bilsteins ($2500 lol) it's a wash... ;-)

I have that teener fever thing.

boldblue.gifsmash.gif

Hit me.

M
Brad Roberts
Actually Sean..

That is two different Sheridan wings you are showing him. One is the 6 inch and the other is the 3 inch wing. Both come out of the same moulds.. but one gets trimmed down to 3 inch.

B
seanery
I thought the white one looked smaller, but just thought that it was because it was all white and had no reference.
Go for the 6 inch version!
John Kelly
"I love John Kelly's flares, but he's a big *movie star* now, damnit."

" I don't have enough time in my life to the fenders out to look like that fat assed silver seattle car I have seen around in pics.
John's flares would be perfect, that looks cooler than the Batmobile, but I read somewhere that he was more into making the "Roy Clarke Big Flare Songbook, and Video".."

Thought I would step away from making my major motion picture for a moment (the song book won't be out until Christmas).... for a spoiler, I would recommend a picnic table, you can find one almost anywhere, and with a little creative sawzall work, much downforce can be attained. Failing that, perhaps a bunch of paint roller trays duct-taped together?

Seriously though, if you want speed, get a palm nailer (under $100), a stainless carriage bolt ($1), a shot dolly ($15 or so) or a leather purse full of sand (thriftstore $3-$5 you supply the sand) my video (approximately $6,000) and you will able to get the rough shape of a flare (I'm guessing at this point) in about 3-6 hours. 5-20 hours more per flare depending on how little mud you want to use. Other tools: hammer and dolly, long reach vice grips with modified swivel pads, a pry bar, ballpeen hammer...On Zach's car, I'm going to do the last fender mostly with the palm nailer to see how fast I can get the shape. I'll post a picture with the time it takes soon. Or wait for the critic's reviews when we get a date nailed down for the community flare project. I like this way so much, I'm trying to get all the people on my flare waiting list to consider a video instead.

John www.ghiaspecialties.com
rhodyguy
john, a palm nailer? all kidding aside. gee, i bought one for a job i USED to have. great tool.

kevin
John Kelly
Hi Kevin,

Yes, the palm nailer is a great time saver for doing flares! It seems to be saving me about 10 hours on the front flare I'm doing right now, and would save more time on a rear flare as they cover a larger area.

John www.ghiaspecialties.com
Steve Thacker
How about a tail like this one?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.