Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I need Stock heat exchanger S boxes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ChrisFoley
I have developed a deluxe heat exchanger kit for my Tangerine Super headers.
It uses the passenger side "S" box from the stock HE system, in modified form.
Below is a pic of the special pieces used to attach my HE box to the blower housing and to both sides of the car through flapper boxes.
What I need to know is: Who has a surplus of the "S" boxes to send me? Are they worth any more than the cost of shipping?
ChrisFoley
The setup requires two passenger side flapper boxes. The one that goes on the driver side needs the lever arm relocated so it attaches to the control wire.
The flappers are attached directly to the tubes on the firewall using the short steel tube shown circled. No silicone flex tube needed.
The one thing I'm not excited about is thermal losses through the aluminum flex tubing but I can't find a better tubing or a convenient insulation for it.
rhodyguy
i think they are. for those changing out 75' and later h.e.s for earlier systems you need the proper duct work. good idea chris. when folks do the switch you see "wtb duct work for early heat exchanger" ads. would putting the left flapper valve on the right and vice versa, and flipping them upside down work? small pieces of header heat wrap might do the job for the flex tube. new flapper boxes are avail. not cheap but available. the little seal and the rivet go south with age.

k
rhodyguy
i take it the short piece of pipe next to the valve is from valve to the car? if so, i think the stock hose would work best. a rigid connection would be less than optimum due to the vibration of the engine. easier to make the connection too.

k
ChrisFoley
At this stage I expect my customers to supply the necessary stock parts, and send the ones that need modifying to me.
Unfortunately my first customer didn't have the "S" box and I need to know how much is appropriate to charge him for the one I took out of my collection of good stuff.
rhodyguy
my old AA catalog says $98 new, $65 used. i dunno. dry.gif

k
rhodyguy
i wonder if nos is even still available on those.

k
ChrisFoley
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Jul 15 2005, 09:44 AM)
i take it the short piece of pipe next to the valve is from valve to the car? if so, i think the stock hose would work best. a rigid connection would be less than optimum due to the vibration of the engine. easier to make the connection too.

k

In the stock configuration the flappers are rigidly supported on the HE. I can't do that, but the flapper still needs a rigid support. A short (4") piece of 2 1/2" od mild steel tube fits nicely onto the firewall tube end and onto the flapper tube end.
BTW, the 912E flappers mount directly onto the firewall tube ends.

I think the AA price is a bit inflated over what use dones go for on the open market, no?
URY914
Chris,
I think I have 2 S-boxes, I'll look this weekend. And I have have some valves also.

Paul
rhodyguy
that's why the "i dunno". $25? i never know what this stuff is worth. other than where the clamps on the s duct attach flipping the dr side over may work as well. can you show a picture of a more comprehensive orientation? so the Y goes after the flapper to direct air to both sides? i'm having a hard time visualizing the setup installed. i know, i'm a dope.

k
ChrisFoley
My HE is only on one side of the header. I couldn't come up with a decent box to fit over the driver side tubes.

The wye tube goes before the flapper box.
The passenger flapper attaches between one side of the wye tube and to the firewall.
The driver side flapper has to be a passenger flapper that has its actuating lever rearranged, due to the supply hose coming from across the car instead of from the rear.
Unfortunately I don't have any good pics available to show better detail of that right now but it does all fit together well, as far as I can tell without doing a complete installation on one of my own cars.
rhodyguy
the flex tube pointing up would replace the j-tube, the one that the aux fan connects to? the flex that disappears in the left of the picture connects to the back of the box? where does the flex to the right of the modified s go to? don't get me wrong, heat with headers is a great idea. if i had the skills here's where i'd go. direction of air flow... from outlet of box to flapper. y off the flapper, then you can have controled heat to both sides of the cabin. a single control wire from the lever in the interior instead of the bent one required for 2 valves. some sort of bracket might be needed to stabilize the valve with the metal flex providing no support.

k
ChrisFoley
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Jul 15 2005, 11:11 AM)
the flex tube pointing up would replace the j-tube, the one that the aux fan connects to?

That's right.

the flex that disappears in the left of the picture connects to the back of the box?

Yup, that's the hot air outlet.

where does the flex to the right of the modified s go to?

That goes across in front of the engine to the driver side flapper. I didn't have two flappers available when I took the picture. I use a passenger flapper there, mounted the same way as the passenger side, but the lever is repositioned to actuate properly. I kept the lever on top of the flapper instead of using a driver side flapper upside down. The reason being that the inlet to the flapper is from the side, not the rear.

I thought about using a single flapper and putting the wye after it but it didn't seem to work out as well.
rhodyguy
when dave hunt fabbed up some heat for his header he note that the metal flex let quite a bit of heat out.

k
ChrisFoley
The hose I'm using is real good stuff, so I'm not worried about warm air leaking out. I'm just concerned with heat transmission by conduction.

I looked for an insulating sleeve but the choices were either too big in diameter or too expensive.
guywan914
Chris, in the past we have used a neoprene type hose for titanium dust collection systems. I haven't measured the hose on my heat tubes but was thinking if I ever did add them to your system that is what I would use. I do have my boxes somewhere here in the hopes I could use them again [ at least to defrost]. I'll try to find the pieces and I think I have some of the hose at the shop.It will also give me a chance to drop off my trailing arms.
I sent Wayne Cyr to see you to weld up some ATV parts for him. He should be stopping by on Monday.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE (guywan914 @ Jul 15 2005, 09:10 PM)
Chris, in the past we have used a neoprene type hose for titanium dust collection systems. I haven't measured the hose on my heat tubes but was thinking if I ever did add them to your system that is what I would use. I do have my boxes somewhere here in the hopes I could use them again [ at least to defrost]. I'll try to find the pieces and I think I have some of the hose at the shop.It will also give me a chance to drop off my trailing arms.
I sent Wayne Cyr to see you to weld up some ATV parts for him. He should be stopping by on Monday.

The silicone flex hose used on stock 914 HE's is not commonly available. It's 60mm, or 2 3/8" ID. I know AA sells pieces of the stuff for about $20 each (less than a foot long). I don't know if neoprene is up to the job.

I hope Wayne is very patient as I'm waaay behind schedule, and still trying to go racing two more times before the Runoffs.
BTW, you are invited to LRP next weekend to watch me race on Saturday.
grantsfo
I think I have some of those off my 1.8 just sitting in a box collecting dust. Not sure what shape their in. PM me if youre intersted. I dont want any money for them and if I'm helping out a fellow 914 owner get heat I'll be happy.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.