Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2.0 Djet help for a hacked system.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mark Henry
Hi the 914 is a 74 1.8 with a updated with a 2.0 Djet with hydraulic lifters, unknown builder.
Someone else messed with the rockers on one side, for some reason they removed the solid spacers. I had to make a pair of aluminum spacers among other repairs

It runs good-ish but I can't see any timing marks on the fan so timing is my best guess. Wasn't there a printable fan marking pattern?

I also have a question on the dizzy vacuum hose connections. In the Jeff Bowlsby diagram below the outside vac advance port goes to the plenum (small blue circle), the inside vac port goes to the TB (flesh color?).

I can't find a small port on the plenum in that area or anywhere for that matter.
My dizzy inside vac port is going to the TB and the outside port is plugged. WTF.gif

This is a cobbled together system, besides the dizzy vac hose fuchery there's also:
-no decel valve
-no head ports, anti flash back valve, etc
-no evaporative system
-no timing marks on the fan or flywheel.

IPB Image
rjames
If the TB has both retard and advance ports, they should both be hooked up to the Dizzy, or the advance port capped and the advance port on the dizzy open to air. For cars with TBs that only have the retard port, they apparently still shipped with a hose connected to the advance port on the dizzy but left the other end not connected to anything. In the diagram you posted to me it looks like the hose off the dizzy advance port isn't connected to anything. Notice how all of the other hoses are shown terminating in a black rectangle whereas that one does not.
You can run it either way- whichiver way allows the car to run better.

Pelican has a template for making timing marks on the fan: Link
Mark Henry
QUOTE(rjames @ Nov 6 2020, 12:14 PM) *

If the TB has both retard and advance ports, they should both be hooked up to the Dizzy, or the advance port capped and the advance port on the dizzy open to air. For cars with TBs that only have the retard port, they apparently still shipped with a hose connected to the advance port on the dizzy but left the other end not connected to anything. In the diagram you posted to me it looks like the hose off the dizzy advance port isn't connected to anything. Notice how all of the other hoses are shown terminating in a black rectangle whereas that one does not.

Thanks I found the template here it will be interesting to see how far I'm off.

Been a while since I've played with a Djet, so that dizzy hose is just open ended?
Seems to run fine, power is a bit underwhelming, but then I drive a 914 with a bit more HP....
rjames
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Nov 6 2020, 09:38 AM) *

QUOTE(rjames @ Nov 6 2020, 12:14 PM) *

Thanks I found the template here it will be interesting to see how far I'm off.

Been a while since I've played with a Djet, so that dizzy hose is just open ended?
Seems to run fine, power is a bit underwhelming, but then I drive a 914 with a bit more HP....

Retard should be hooked up from the TB to the dizzy, but as long as you cap the advance port on the TB you can get rid of the extra hose and just leave that port on the dizzy open to the air. I'd try connecting the advance on the TB to the dizzy first though to see if the car runs better that way.
JeffBowlsby
Thats correct Mark. That outside advance port has a short hose that routes under the plenum, does not connect to anything.
TheCabinetmaker
You could find a 73 TB which has the port for the advance hose
Mark Henry
It's a customers 914, I figured out the timing, I was pretty close without a timing mark or light, about 2 degrees too much advance.
Runs about perfect, another one back on the road. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.