Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Does a Porsche make you cool?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Unobtanium-inc
Ask Steve McQueen, he was cool!
Mark Henry
Does driving a cayenne automatically make soccer moms cool?
Jett
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Nov 7 2020, 09:03 AM) *

Only if it is a Turbo S smile.gif
Jett
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Nov 7 2020, 08:35 AM) *

Ask Steve McQueen, he was cool!

In this instance, it is the girl that makes him cool smile.gif
altitude411
ar15.gif muzzle blasting the paint on a '58 speedster....

* not cool

Click to view attachment
billh1963
QUOTE(altitude411 @ Nov 7 2020, 11:37 AM) *

ar15.gif muzzle blasting the paint on a '58 speedster....

* not cool

Actually, the ultimate in cool. He was a car guy and a man's man.

He used the cars as cars and enjoyed them. A speedster back then was just another car. Besides,..he had FU money so it's not like he cared.
KELTY360
Chromies with knockoffs make a Porsche cool. smile.gif
Lucky9146
Have to agree it probably mostly applies to Steve McQueen as he is after all "The King Of Cool".

Seeing this picture first posted, I had to check my files to verify I actually saw this car at The Peterson Museum. And it is!!!! Right down to the knock offs!
driving.gif white914.jpg

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

And lest you think his car at the Peterson was some concours show car garage queen..... I do my best to try to get the pictures not everyone does. Peterson is not always happy with me. biggrin.gif

And you can see it has not been restored. How cool to have seen that car in person.

The first picture posted above with the rifle suggests he used his own car in a movie perhaps. Now, how "cool" is that!

Click to view attachment

Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Nov 7 2020, 09:08 AM) *

Chromies with knockoffs make a Porsche cool. smile.gif

I agree.
Lucky9146
Magnus Walker Owning 50 might make you pretty cool I would think!
driving.gif white914.jpg

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Spoke
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Nov 7 2020, 11:03 AM) *

Not necessarily but it does add a point or 2 to their hotness...
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Nov 7 2020, 11:16 AM) *

Magnus Walker Owning 50 might make you pretty cool I would think!
driving.gif white914.jpg

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

When I see Magnus jump a motorcycle I'll be impressed.
73-914
McQueen way cooler than Walker
Maltese Falcon
According to his wife's book (Neale just behind him with .30 '06) Steve took to carrying concealed in '69, when the Charlie Manson family went murdering Celebs in the Hills. Steve was to join up with Sharon Tate, Jay Sebring , others in their Mandeville Cyn home. He was side tracked, wound up going elsewhere...then found out about the massacre next morning.
Steve was thee King of Cool; my sister-in-law and 2 of her GF's were hitch hiking on Sunset Bl, trying to get to SM / Venice beach and Steve pulls up in a Mustang. He takes them to the beach, gives the girls some cash for (return) bus fare and snacks...insists that they never hitch hike again smile.gif
At the Polo Lounge at the BH Hotel, Steve would always give my HS friend Dave (parking lot jockey) a 20 spot...as he never wanted to have his cars Valet parked; usually drove the 356 powered Beetle driving.gif
This kind of Celebrity Coolness is gone today
Maltese Falcon
Cool movie rifle was Steve's "Mare's leg" used on his TV Series> Wanted Dead or Alive late '50s. It's a Winchester model 1892, shortened barrel / shortened stock, designed by his freind Von Dutch.
Click to view attachment
73-914
His wife is holding a Lee-Enfield #4 mark 1 in .303 British
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(73-914 @ Nov 7 2020, 04:55 PM) *

His wife is holding a Lee-Enfield #4 mark 1 in .303 British

Good eye !
brcacti
I think owning any kind of a classic collector car make one cool in a way.
Maltese Falcon
Judges at the '12 "Friends of Steve McQueen" car show liked the black gt/flat fan car this much ...it took the Cool Style ¡
The Boys Republic /Chino Hills CA is where Steve spent some time boarding there, then in '47 enlisted in the USMC.
Great show every June, if you're out in SoCal .
All of the trophies are hand built in the school's industrial-training shops by the students !

Click to view attachment
Spoke
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Nov 7 2020, 03:21 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Steve was a real badass. His chase on the bike in The Great Escape absolutely made the movie. He even played the part of some of the Germans chasing him on motorcycles. This picture is Bud Ekins, one of Steve's riding buddies. Steve was prohibited to make this jump for insurance reasons so Bud did the jump and the crash into the fence at the end.

Bud Ekins
Johny Blackstain
Son of a b*tch it's a G damned Triumph! blink.gif Always thought it was a Beemer sad.gif
Spoke
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Nov 8 2020, 11:00 AM) *

Son of a b*tch it's a G damned Triumph! blink.gif Always thought it was a Beemer sad.gif

This point is listed in the Movie Mistakes about The Great Escape.
Maltese Falcon
Totally a Cool Celebrity, Racecar & Moto pilot, and an overall good guy ! He drove a Sebring stint in his 908, along with Revson. A previous Moto accident left him with an ankle cast, which he had a rigged boot put on to camoflage the injury...the scrutineer would have probably forbid him to drive. In the race he was leading at the last few laps. They say that the pain pills were wearing off and Steve started to wince in pain. He brought the 908 in for a driver change, Andretti quickly took the lead and the checker .

Porsche 914 folk being COOL ¿¿ You know it ! These days you're not a cool Porsche owner until you have a teener next to your 911. Nothing against anyones choice in the style of their Stuttgart stallion; but just seeing the trend in 914 purchases in the last 5 years >> that speaks volumes beerchug.gif

Click to view attachment
djway
When I was in my 20's and lifted weights 7 days a week it did.......not so much these days....
Amphicar770
It's more like a magnifier.

If you were already cool, it makes you cooler. (Thus applying to all 914 owners).

If you were already a tool, it makes you more of one.

Reminds me of one of my favorite jokes. (Replace car brand with whatever you choose)?

Q. What's the difference between a <BMW> and a Pus*y?

A. Not every <BMW> has a prick in it. biggrin.gif
Rikyrat
QUOTE(Spoke @ Nov 8 2020, 07:40 AM) *

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Nov 7 2020, 03:21 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Steve was a real badass. His chase on the bike in The Great Escape absolutely made the movie. He even played the part of some of the Germans chasing him on motorcycles. This picture is Bud Ekins, one of Steve's riding buddies. Steve was prohibited to make this jump for insurance reasons so Bud did the jump and the crash into the fence at the end.

Bud Ekins

I've seen even got to sit on that bike. My bro-in-law works for a guy whose a motorcycle nut. The second floor of his office building is filled with all sorts of bikes, and there it was. How Cool
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.