Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tie-Rod Ball joint
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
frostyf
Hopefully someone with a bit more experience can give me a steer on this:
I've changed out my tie rods for turbo tie rods and have re-assembled them.
Question is how do you tighten them to the required torque (manual says 33 ft lbs).

The ball joint bolt spins as soon as any torque comes onto it (with either my electric hammer wrench or socket). There's no hex socket in the top to hold the ball-joint bolt whilst the nut is tightened?

Is there some special way to fit them and tighten them to the correct torque?

Thanks for any advice!

Nick
aharder
I took my floor jack and applied pressure to them from the bottom.
Tighten right up.

frostyf
QUOTE(aharder @ Nov 8 2020, 03:20 AM) *

Tighten right up.

Thanks for that - I'll give it a go right now! Just hadn't thought of trying that one. Just to check, this is the top of the ball joint - the nut that sticks up through the tie rod outer end? And you've stuck a jack underneath where they're bolted through the A arm?
porschetub
QUOTE(frostyf @ Nov 8 2020, 03:40 PM) *

Tighten right up.

Thanks for that - I'll give it a go right now! Just hadn't thought of trying that one. Just to check, this is the top of the ball joint - the nut that sticks up through the tie rod outer end? And you've stuck a jack underneath where they're bolted through the A arm?

Yep jack up and make sure the taper bolt is clean ,have heard some put lube on them and that is a no no.
frostyf
QUOTE(porschetub @ Nov 8 2020, 05:46 AM) *

Tighten right up.

Yep jack up and make sure the taper bolt is clean ,have heard some put lube on them and that is a no no.

Thanks again, was just a bit nervous applying pressure underneath to the steering knuckle where the tie rod outer attaches. Thought it might risk damaging it! Will go gently.
frostyf
QUOTE(frostyf @ Nov 9 2020, 01:48 PM) *

QUOTE(porschetub @ Nov 8 2020, 05:46 AM) *

Tighten right up.

Thanks again, was just a bit nervous applying pressure underneath to the steering knuckle where the tie rod outer attaches. Thought it might risk damaging it! Will go gently.

Worked a treat - thanks again for the advice!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.