Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help will not start
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
neilbardsley
I've been driving around all weekend in my 914. It has never failed to start quickly. I've been giving it a tune up. Sine it's new to me. Yesterday I fitted new points and adjusted the angle from 60 to about 48. I couldn't find the timing marks so decided to wait a day.

After much searching I found the 27 degree advance mark. It's hidden on the side of the fly wheel I can't see without using my mobile. Seeing that I had moved the dwell angle from 60 to 48 I suspected the car was running a bit better because it was now too advanced. Once I took the vacuum lives off the distributor it was idling nearer 2000. After going the wrong way I figured out I needed to turn the distributor clockwise to retard it. Got it onto the timing mark when decided to attach my rpm counter to check I was at 3400 when hitting the 27 adv mark. The car stopped mid check and just refused to start again.

Not clear to me what failed mid test. I suspect something electronic but ? I checked that I hadn't removed any ignition wires from the distributor cap still no luck. I should add the green oil light has stopping coming on when I try to start. Then it got dark

Might order a new condenser and fit it? Anyone know the part number?

Sent from my Redmi 7 using Tapatalk
dr914@autoatlanta.com
I am quite busy reorganizing the newly tiled workshop today here at AA but call me monday if you cannot figure it out and we can go through it

QUOTE(neilbardsley @ Nov 8 2020, 11:39 AM) *

I've been driving around all weekend in my 914. It has never failed to start quickly. I've been giving it a tune up. Sine it's new to me. Yesterday I fitted new points and adjusted the angle from 60 to about 48. I couldn't find the timing marks so decided to wait a day.

After much searching I found the 27 degree advance mark. It's hidden on the side of the fly wheel I can't see without using my mobile. Seeing that I had moved the dwell angle from 60 to 48 I suspected the car was running a bit better because it was now too advanced. Once I took the vacuum lives off the distributor it was idling nearer 2000. After going the wrong way I figured out I needed to turn the distributor clockwise to retard it. Got it onto the timing mark when decided to attach my rpm counter to check I was at 3400 when hitting the 27 adv mark. The car stopped mid check and just refused to start again.

Not clear to me what failed mid test. I suspect something electronic but ? I checked that I hadn't removed any ignition wires from the distributor cap still no luck. I should add the green oil light has stopping coming on when I try to start. Then it got dark

Might order a new condenser and fit it? Anyone know the part number?

Sent from my Redmi 7 using Tapatalk

Shivers
You were hooking up a tach and it stalled? Maybe a short, check the fuses in the relay box.
TheCabinetmaker
Sounds like you shorted the condenser.
TheCabinetmaker
Also, check connections on coil, and the trigger points on the side of the diz
neilbardsley
QUOTE(TheCabinetmaker @ Nov 9 2020, 07:02 AM) *

That certainly could of happened. I'm used to tuning my 356. I certainly did have a tach connected to the distributor side of the coil. But Ive never shorted a condenswr before. Could someone explain how I this happened?

As regards to the fuse going. I'm still learning these but on my 912/356 there where no fuses between the ignition switch and coil?
neilbardsley
[quote name='neilbardsley' date='Nov 9 2020, 11:22 AM' post='2865420']
[quote name='TheCabinetmaker' post='2865365' date='Nov 9 2020, 07:02 AM']
[/quote]

Two new condensers ready to fit but I can't under the nut holding the wire in without taking out the distributor.

I can't get the distributor out 13mm bolt off but not coming out?

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.