Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: advice sought on replacing rear "porsche" reflector with stock trunk panel/release
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brant
my street car has the "Porsche" reflector between the tail lights
the standard installation with multiple holes drilled in the stock metal to use the attachment bolts

I've wanted to replace it for years.
I'm debating how...

would rather not deal with paint the entire car at this time
so wondering how much of the panel I should actually weld in

tempted to keep the welding right between the tail lights where the panel is damaged.... rather than replacing the entire rear of the car at the outboard corner of the tail lights.

how have others done this?
where did you cut

should I even consider just filling the 6 holes, and only painting the actual small panel?

brant
sixnotfour
Weld em up,, Or drill more.. biggrin.gif
Dobbsy
I have to do this to mine, I will back the holes with copper then weld them up, this should reduce the amount of grinding required to get rid of the welds on the back side. I have not tried it before so I will try it on a scrap bit of metal first.
The plan is to only paint the panel.
sixnotfour
I Made a thin stainless cover, hard to see in pic but edges are turned in like GT hood plates.
brant
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Nov 9 2020, 10:21 AM) *

I Made a thin stainless cover, hard to see in pic but edges are turned in like GT hood plates.

that looks really Good Jeff!

brant
Costa05
Fill in the six holes with mig using short zaps with the gun. Grind down and feather back in with filler.
welder.gif Click to view attachment
Steve
We mig welded in metal fender washers and then filled the smaller hole. After that grind, primer and paint, done!! Looks as good as stock from the outside.
sixnotfour
Brants sound more like this..
brant
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Nov 9 2020, 11:57 AM) *

Brants sound more like this..

that looks familiar
Cairo94507
I vote for welding those holes up and doing a little body work and shooting that panel. I like them as they came from the factory as it relates to the rear panel. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.