Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Autopower Roll Bars?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jhadler
Hi all,

I'm looking for a bolt-in roll bar that I can use for Time Trials, but be able to remove for autox. I understand that Autpower makes one for the 914. Does anyone have any experience with them? I'd be looking at a roll bar that mounts to the rocker sills and to the B-pillar seat belt anchors. With an additional diagonal brace for GCR legality (so I can wear my harness at TT events).

Pros? Cons? Good? Bad? Ugly?.... dry.gif

Thanks!

-Josh2
theol00
Autopower fits good is reasonabley priced and easy to install - fortunately I have not experienced how well they are in case of a roll over wink.gif
jhadler
I'd say that's fortunate! smile.gif

How easy would you say installation and removal would be? I understand that the sill plates need to be welded in, do they interfere with anything? E-Brake? Seats? Doors?

-Josh2
Jacques
Recently purchased my 2nd Autopower. They call it the "Race Roll Bar" ..
Slit the carpet or remove, cannot be bolted in because of the hollow space underneath
Also does not interfere with e-brake, doors, seats
You will notice better handling almost immediately!

blink.gif Autopower in my '74
user posted image
MJHanna
The front brace drops in the middle of the passenger floor board. Totally worthless
We made a longer brace to tie it in to the structure. When you bolt it in to the sails it really makes a difference. It’s not fun nor would it be easily to bolt in and out.
larryp
That's great. Do you have photos of how it fits around the firewall? And how/where it attaches to the longs?
MJHanna
QUOTE (larryp @ Jul 15 2005, 12:31 PM)
That's great. Do you have photos of how it fits around the firewall? And how/where it attaches to the longs?

No I don't most of the shots I have are looking forward. I just dont have any looking that way. You have to take the Pad off the firewall. also it interfered with the e brake. I never cared as this was a track car.
Jacques
QUOTE (MJHanna @ Jul 15 2005, 11:22 AM)
The front brace drops in the middle of the passenger floor board. Totally worthless

user posted image The first one I got (3+ years ago) had this removeable brace which went through the passenger compartment.

They did not offer this "passenger bar" when I rec'd my new one; which I picked up last week.
MJHanna
QUOTE (Jacques @ Jul 15 2005, 01:01 PM)
QUOTE (MJHanna @ Jul 15 2005, 11:22 AM)

user posted image The first one I got (3+ years ago) had this removeable brace which went through the passenger compartment.

They did not offer this "passenger bar" when I rec'd my new one; which I picked up last week.

mine was older so your info is more current. biggrin.gif
MJHanna
other side I looked and just dont have any interior shots, sorry sad.gif
mihai914
Maybe this will help.
Jeroen
I'd go for a Safety Devices rollbar...
Also, why remove it when you go ax-ing?
larryp
That does help, a bit. I am interested in seeing how it interferes with the ebrake, and if that can be worked around.

Jeroen - why is your preference for Safety Devices? And do they make one without a Petty Bar, since I need a passenger seat too.
John
Our Safety Devices cage (18+ years old) has no Petty bar (the diagonal from the drivers head down to the passenger door sill).

I don't know if the current one is any different.

I have always liked ours, but it is fully welded in and has been added on to over the years. The top still comes off and there were no issues with the e-brake (when the car still had one).

I would definately buy another or build one that is similar. I would, however change the front hoops and make them follow the windshield frame (without dashboard or any trim) more closely as it looks kinda funny now that the dash is gone and there is no trim inside the car.

For a stock car, the Safety Devices worked very well and it did have the ability to be bolted in. There is no interference with the passenger seat or passenger area. There were 4 plates that welded to the tops of the longitudionals that had tapped bolts to bolt the cage in. Those could easily be hidden under the carpeting if the cage was to be removed.

Just my opinion....
larryp
I was looking at the safety devices site and saw cages. I think that is what you have too, if you are speaking of the windshield. I did not notice any roll bars, but will ask them.
mihai914
The model that was pictured does not interfere in any way with the handbrake, it mounts on top of the longs. I bought mine used so I don't know how old the model is, I do have a petty bar and as others have probably said, the quality seems very good.
guywan914
I have installed a Safety devives roll cage in my car [ sorry Chris I bought it before I knew you]. the plates weld in and you bolt the cage to the plates. Can be removed or installed in 5-10 minutes. The only thing I didn't like about it was the placement of the windshield bar. I am going to relocate mine. AA has apiece on this cage on their 914 rebuild project [ forget the exact name]
SirAndy
you could always go with a full roll cage from TC designfab. why must it be removeable?

http://www.tcdesignfab.com/

user posted image

user posted image

boldblue.gif Andy
TravisNeff
So how do you bolt the "bolt in" cages in? Don't laugh. I see that the feet of the cage just has bolt holes. So do you have to cut open the long so you can get nuts underneath? Or weld in a scab plate with nuts welded to the backside (and of course large enough holes in the longs for the nuts to pass through for a flush fit).
mihai914
I think that if you purchase them new they come with the plates that you weld to the body.

I have the longs open so I decided to make the mounting inside, I wouldn't recommend opening the long if you don't have to of course.
Porsche Rescue
Good question Travis. My car has a bolt-in Autopower cage (I am told that welded is better because it does more to stiffen the chassis). I removed the long. carpet and discovered that the inside wall of the long. was cut open for access to nuts below. A 3-sided "door" was created, folded up and then closed. Not welded. There appears to be some angle iron reinforcement below the "door" but it still doesn't look too good to me.
Jeroen
QUOTE (Travis Neff @ Jul 16 2005, 03:19 AM)
Or weld in a scab plate with nuts welded to the backside (and of course large enough holes in the longs for the nuts to pass through for a flush fit).

yep, that's how it works
make the scab plates as big as possible
an upside down L shaped scab plate is recommended

reasons why I like the safety devices...
first of all, their stuff is FIA approved
you can get the rollbar first and later add the front section to make it into a complete cage
the current versions of the SD rollbar has a V that bolts to the firewall instead of a diagonal

nothing beats a custom fully welded cage (like Andy suggests), but if you want to go bolt in, or just a rollbar, SD is the way to go (IMO)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.