Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tartan door panels. Yes or no?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
billh1963
I'm getting really close to redoing the interior on BB. It's currently all tan. It looks good but is getting tired and I think I want something new.

I'm leaning real hard towards the red tartan seats. But, even with that I'm concerned that black door cards, dash, backpad, etc. on a black car may be too much. I might need some tartan elsewhere to break up the black.

What do you guys think?

Here's an example of a tartan door panel. This is a bit over the top for me but gives you an idea.

Click to view attachment
tygaboy
I think the door panels look GREAT all matchy match to the seats! I'd try it with the door panels but maybe not the dash. Just a thought.
Cairo94507
Hi Bill - I second Chris' comments - doors yes, dash no. beerchug.gif
ValcoOscar
For me biggrin.gif I'm doing tartan seat inserts and dash....leaving door panels stock.

Click to view attachment

Unobtanium-inc
My Gmund 057 door panel is Tartan, so they have always done it.
VegasRacer
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Nov 10 2020, 11:11 AM) *

I might need some tartan elsewhere to break up the black.

What do you guys think?

Seats - For Sure Dude. aktion035.gif
Dash - Absolutely NOT. skull.gif
Door Panels - No thank you. bandit.gif

idea.gif Maybe just the top door sill or the arm rest for a splash of color. crest.gif
AZBanks
seats and dash - Yes
door panels - maybe
rjames
QUOTE(VegasRacer @ Nov 10 2020, 12:42 PM) *

I might need some tartan elsewhere to break up the black.

What do you guys think?

Seats - For Sure Dude. aktion035.gif
Dash - Absolutely NOT. skull.gif
Door Panels - No thank you. bandit.gif

idea.gif Maybe just the top door sill or the arm rest for a splash of color. crest.gif

agree.gif

Doing the dash makes it look dated but not in a cool way, more like a leisure suit dated kind of way.
john77
Not tartan, but I have a red dash front and red door cards with black seats and black carpeted firewall.

I think matching two of the three works well - so door panels/dash, or dash/seat inserts, or door panels/seats - but all three is a bit much.

The great thing about the dash front is it really aint hard to redo it if you don't like it.

IPB Image
Sway Bar
Where is that reference pic from? I think I've seen that car now locally? Mexico Blue, 993 VarioRam, etc...

It's all personal flavor, but I personally thought all 3 surfaces was a little too much. Felt over done and lost its affect. So 2 of the 3 maybe the better route.

Seat Inserts Always. Maybe add the door panels but I think the dash doesn't quite feel right....but again, each to their own. Part of the fun with these cars.
mrholland2

I'm getting really close to redoing the interior on BB. It's currently all tan. It looks good but is getting tired and I think I want something new.

I'm leaning real hard towards the red tartan seats. But, even with that I'm concerned that black door cards, dash, backpad, etc. on a black car may be too much. I might need some tartan elsewhere to break up the black.

What do you guys think?

Here's an example of a tartan door panel. This is a bit over the top for me but gives you an idea.

Click to view attachment

Seats yes, door cards yes.

Dash-solid non-black that is one of the colors in the plaid.
steuspeed
I hear you on black/black is too much black. Start with the seats and see how you like it. I think on a black car doing all 3 would would really pop. Singer does the same material on dash/doors/seat inserts on all their cars. It's a cohesive look no matter what material you pick.

MANCHESTER the most wild example
http://singervehicledesign.com/works/
mbseto
The broad tartan looks good. If it were a tight tartan or a houndstooth, it might look a little too busy.
bigkensteele
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Nov 10 2020, 11:26 AM) *

For me biggrin.gif I'm doing tartan seat inserts and dash....leaving door panels stock.

Click to view attachment

Same here. My seats are done and Mark was able to hook me up with a remnant for the dash panel too. I will try it out and see if I like it. If not, I can always go back to black.
Front yard mechanic
clown2.gif red tartan
Steve

What do you guys think?

Click to view attachment

I'm a big fan of what the factory does and they only did the seats. Doing the whole interior reminds me of Space Balls, where after ludicrous speed, they went plaid.
billh1963
The picture I posted was a random one I pulled off the Internet.

I appreciate the opinions. I agree that the seats are a definite. I'm still undecided on door panels or dash. Lots to think about!
gonzo54
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Nov 10 2020, 11:26 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Oscar, your seats look GREAT! I like the tartan look on your car-
mepstein
Bill - I asked 914rubber to make me some door panels to match their seat covers.
I was thinking I would do the GT style leather door pulls so more of the material will show.
steuspeed
Those door panels look great! GT door pulls I would not do. Plenty of plaid to see as is. Stick with the stock armrest.
infraredcalvin
Singer gets away with the matchy match look, I like the look of door cards, dash and seats all tartan, but defiantly break up the look with the black trims the armrest, etc.
Jett
I like the door panels and seats on a 911 but only the seats for a 914.
Unobtanium-inc
This is the coolest 914 doors I've ever seen.
Front yard mechanic
Sorry it's a noClick to view attachment
billh1963
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 10 2020, 09:45 PM) *

Bill - I asked 914rubber to make me some door panels to match their seat covers.
I was thinking I would do the GT style leather door pulls so more of the material will show.

Mark,
I like the look and was thinking the same thing. You sure you aren't a mind reader? lol-2.gif
Jett
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Nov 10 2020, 10:15 PM) *

This is the coolest 914 doors I've ever seen.

Agreed... I think you can still get the material.
flat4guy
seats - yes
doors - maybe
dash - no
DRPHIL914
i was thinking that you should do the head liner for targa top too.
biggrin.gif
MM1
You probably saw this already, Bill - if not, here's more tartan interior reference:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=349777

Click to view attachment

Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Nov 12 2020, 11:57 PM) *

i was thinking that you should do the head liner for targa top too.
biggrin.gif

I like the seats, doors & the Doc's headliner idea- dash no. Think the rug would be over the top biggrin.gif
cool_shades.gif
mepstein
Whatever makes you happy. beerchug.gif
HansJan
Seats: Tartan
Door cards: Solid color, that matches one of the colors on the seats.
Dash: Black

Just my $0.50
stevesc_us
QUOTE(john77 @ Nov 10 2020, 02:18 PM) *

Not tartan, but I have a red dash front and red door cards with black seats and black carpeted firewall.

I think matching two of the three works well - so door panels/dash, or dash/seat inserts, or door panels/seats - but all three is a bit much.

The great thing about the dash front is it really aint hard to redo it if you don't like it.

IPB Image

Not sure what the exterior color of your car is, but these I think would look killer if the exterior is red. Funny I bought these seats a couple of years ago with no car to put them in yet.

Click to view attachment
ValcoOscar
Tartan is in...... beerchug.gif

Click to view attachment
Tdskip
I vote for Tartan seats but stock panels otherwise. Personally I find too Tartan everywhere a bit much.
raynekat
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Nov 19 2020, 10:24 AM) *

I vote for Tartan seats but stock panels otherwise. Personally I find too Tartan everywhere a bit much.

I agree....but that's just me.
If you like it on the doors and dash too, then go for it.
It's your car....enjoy it!
Jett
QUOTE(raynekat @ Nov 19 2020, 04:19 PM) *

+1 and it is a two way door, you can always change back.
mepstein
QUOTE(Jett @ Nov 19 2020, 09:19 PM) *

QUOTE(raynekat @ Nov 19 2020, 04:19 PM) *

+1 and it is a two way door, you can always change back.

When you think about it, anything can be changed back.
ValcoOscar
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.